Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Deadlift assistance exercises and lower back (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12391)

TitanWIP 02-03-2013 04:17 PM

Deadlift assistance exercises and lower back

Every time I add Romanian deadlifts or good mornings to my workouts my lower back seems to pay the price. Not sure if it's worth keep these movements in anymore.

Thoughts?

LtL 02-03-2013 04:27 PM

Have you filmed yourself to check you're doing them right?

big_swede 02-03-2013 04:48 PM

Try going lighter and with higher reps, no pushing near failure or mechanical failure. Works well for me with the lower-back unfriendly lifts =)

powercop 02-04-2013 08:55 PM

It could be the area hurts so much because it is to weak to support the amount of work you're putting into it. Slow down, back off a little with the weight and work on form and strengthen it slowly with less weight and higher reps. Remember these are assistance exercises and are supposed to be used to raise the main lifts.

Soldier 02-04-2013 09:02 PM

How much are you deadlifting now, TitanWIP? I think people get to worried about assistance work. Personally, when it comes to pushing my lift numbers up I put almost all of my work into the actual lift. I believe that you have to become quite advanced before you really need any signifigant assistance work, but I'm not sure if everyone would agree with me there.

1morerep 02-04-2013 09:07 PM

Have you try "hip thrust" ...looks silly but really works. Have a barbell with a weight that you can handle for at least 8-10 and you are set.

dmaipa 02-04-2013 09:53 PM

you may have to check your form and making sure you are recruiting the right muscles. I remember Dan John once said, "Deadlifts don't hurt your back, the way you deadlift hurts your back." I would say the same thing goes for the RDL, but you also may want to go lighter as well.

fenrisulfr 02-05-2013 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1morerep (Post 320914)
Have you try "hip thrust" ...looks silly but really works. Have a barbell with a weight that you can handle for at least 8-10 and you are set.

I agree with this. Hip thrust or BB glute bridge. You need to make sure your ass and hamstrings are strong. Also if your core is weak your lower back compensates. Work your core, ass, and hamstrings.

jdmalm123 02-05-2013 09:14 AM

Yeah, sounds like you're hinging at the lumbar spine (bad) when you should be hinging at the hips (good).

Don't try to get too deep at first...keep your back locked and once you feel the stretch go back up.
Don't worry if they are shallow, the ROM will improve over time.

Somehow, I picked the weakest video, but it gives you a decent visual (the guy's a little stiff if you ask me but his back position is safe).