Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   PR's (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12355)

powerm64 01-30-2013 06:49 PM

PR's
 
Just want to ask the older guys like myself a question about PR's. When you are training and wanting to hit a PR, is the PR an all time best or what? I will be 49 years old next month and when I'm training and wanting to hit a PR it is getting so hard to do so. I know what all of my all time best PR's are from 1990 to present and use this as my guide. It is very hard to beat a PR from when I was at my peak about eight to tens years ago and some even longer than that:help. Do you reset your PR's by age, weight class or what?

BendtheBar 01-30-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powerm64 (Post 319069)
Just want to ask the older guys like myself a question about PR's. When you are training and wanting to hit a PR, is the PR an all time best or what? I will be 49 years old next month and when I'm training and wanting to hit a PR it is getting so hard to do so. I know what all of my all time best PR's are from 1990 to present and use this as my guide. It is very hard to beat a PR from when I was at my peak about eight to tens years ago and some even longer than that:help. Do you reset your PR's by age, weight class or what?

Well it depends. I'm 45 and had a couple layoffs. I tend to count some PRs are "returning PRs" and some as all-time.

powerm64 01-30-2013 08:26 PM

Thanks for the input bendthebar. I have had a couple of set backs myself in the last couple of years but just can't seem to get back where I was then. I guess I need to train harder or smarter.

nighttrain 01-30-2013 09:10 PM

i count PRs as all time, but then again i dont have 20 years of weight lifting under my belt..... i do have 20 plus years of fitness training but serious lifting is something i started in 2005

powerm64 01-30-2013 09:16 PM

I have been lifting for 23 years and use the all time max as a new goal for a pr.

BendtheBar 01-30-2013 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powerm64 (Post 319138)
I have been lifting for 23 years and use the all time max as a new goal for a pr.

I keep getting stronger with time. Keep fighting and train smart and I think you'll reach those old PRs and then some.

MikeM 01-30-2013 10:44 PM

I think PRs are whatever you want them to be. In my opinion they are used for motivation to try and exceed your previous best lifts. However, if you are finding that 20 year old PRs are something that is causing you to be unmotivated or frustrated, then banish them and work on hitting current PRs.

No one is going to audit your workout logs for accuracy. If you squatted 500 in 1990, took 20 years off and are damn glad to finally make it back to a 315 squat, then that's something to celebrate. Not feel down because it's not a personal best.

Call it a 22nd century personal best or something, whatever makes you feel good about yourself and your progress.

powerm64 01-31-2013 06:15 AM

Thanks MikeM, I have lost my motivation to lift just because of not hitting any pr's lately. I think I will change my pr's for over forty and try for a new pr.

J_Byrd 01-31-2013 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeM (Post 319147)
I think PRs are whatever you want them to be. In my opinion they are used for motivation to try and exceed your previous best lifts. However, if you are finding that 20 year old PRs are something that is causing you to be unmotivated or frustrated, then banish them and work on hitting current PRs.

No one is going to audit your workout logs for accuracy. If you squatted 500 in 1990, took 20 years off and are damn glad to finally make it back to a 315 squat, then that's something to celebrate. Not feel down because it's not a personal best.

Call it a 22nd century personal best or something, whatever makes you feel good about yourself and your progress.

I have the same view Mike. I am happy to get PRs post surgery. Eventually I will get back to all time PRs, but right now I will take what I can get!

elijah 01-31-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powerm64 (Post 319213)
Thanks MikeM, I have lost my motivation to lift just because of not hitting any pr's lately. I think I will change my pr's for over forty and try for a new pr.

That's exactly the attitude to have powerm.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.