Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 11-19-2009, 05:05 PM   #21
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Welcome to the board Andrew.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2009, 05:07 PM   #22
rippednmichigan
Social Media Manager/REP
Max Brawn
Points: 22,927, Level: 93 Points: 22,927, Level: 93 Points: 22,927, Level: 93
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: EFX K-Otic Orange Ambush
rippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beast

Yes welcome Cook!
User owns 3x $30 I\'ll Pump You Up cash User owns 1x $20 I\'ll Pump You Up cash

Pure-Potent-Drug Free

http://allamericanefx.com/

Certified Personal Trainer
Training and Nutrition at
www.flexfitnessandnutrition.com

"Take control and push your limits!"
rippednmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:10 PM   #23
CookAndrewB
New Brawn

CookAndrewB is new to the forumCookAndrewB is new to the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleandBrawn View Post
Welcome to the forum C.A.B.

Feel free to share some tips. Would like to hear how you approach training.
Thanks M&B

How I approach training. Simple, training has to support performance. If it doesn't, then you are wasting time and energy. If you have no specific performance measure in mind (not a competitive athlete) then I believe it is wise to train in a manner that allows you the most complete level of fitness possible. Like Crossfit talks about competancy in 10 areas of fitness, I think they are right on. If you aren't going to specialize you should aim to be a jack of all trades. Just my opinion, of course. Training this way will support overall health, while specialization truly doesn't. Think of fat powerlifters, bodybuilders that lack flexibility or can't run a mile, strongmen that subject themselves to repeated injury trying to move something that isn't interested in being moved... you get the point.

To the average trainee we should be looking to induce strength, conditioning, flexibility, healthy body composition, etc through means of stress but not DISTRESS. Big difference there.
CookAndrewB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:57 PM   #24
Grim83
Director: TGZ
Max Brawn
Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53

Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookAndrewB View Post
Kegs, 55gal drums, sandbags, atlas stones, tires, field stones (400+lbs, not like a pebble you turn up tending your garden), tires... man, I love all this stuff.

If interested in a few quick and easy "odd" implements you can get your hands on for cheap, let me know. I've got all kinds of tricks up my sleeves.
get out of here cook, no one likes a strongman

welcome aboard bro, this place is refreshing after dealing with the idiots at bb.com
User owns 1x Super Squats

No Bullshit no problems

My Blog- http://grim83.blogspot.com/
Grim83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:03 PM   #25
thumpinos
Uber Brawn
Points: 4,122, Level: 40 Points: 4,122, Level: 40 Points: 4,122, Level: 40

thumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good posts

Welcome to the forum cook, and good post brother.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:05 PM   #26
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Muti-purpose Strongman implements!

KEGS!!!
you can make them up to 170-180lbs of weight with just water
With sand and water up to 280-300 completely filled with both sand,& then filled with water.

You can carry them bear hug style, mixed grip holstered to the waist. Clean them and press them both staggered (way easier then parallel) and parallel grips. The stabilization it takes to press a keg is ridiculous. Pick them up and load them. If they are small or light throw them for distance.

SANDBAGS!
You can essentially do the same things with kegs and then some. Depending on the sandbag's size and shape, you can shoulder it, or place it on your back and do lunges, throw it for distance, one arm press it, if its small enough.

Do abs, hyper extensions,dips, pull ups, body weight stuff,etc, with small sandbags draped around you as a weighted vest and the best thing is sand is cheap. Go to your local beach, or get 50lbs bags for less then 5$ at home depot. * WARNING there bags are crap so invest in a good one to put the sand in.

I mean there are way more, but these too are easiest to acquire and store, can be adjusted as you get stronger, and have many uses.

BTW Welcome Andrew Cook good to see other strongmen posting here! Good post.
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:02 PM   #27
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72

kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine

SANDBAGS- I was going ot buy some sand to make a sandbag today. How can i incorporate this into my training.

for today i was thinking i would just carry it around and walk with it for some cardio. will this affect my lifting tomorrow? since im not doing anything like cleaning it or pressing it i wasnt thinking it would.

also i decided im going to buy a bar and plates and workout at home on sat. After that i was going to train with it. any short circuit i could do?
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)
Old 11-22-2009, 05:26 PM   #28
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman025 View Post
SANDBAGS- I was going ot buy some sand to make a sandbag today. How can i incorporate this into my training.

for today i was thinking i would just carry it around and walk with it for some cardio. will this affect my lifting tomorrow? since im not doing anything like cleaning it or pressing it i wasnt thinking it would.

also i decided im going to buy a bar and plates and workout at home on sat. After that i was going to train with it. any short circuit i could do?
One sandbag circut I do from time to time is :

Shoulder it on your left side and lunge with it 60ft
Shoulder it on your right side and lunge 60ft back
Place it on your back and lunge it 60ft more
Place it on your front (think cross grip front squats) and lunge it back 60ft

If you get tired of lunges just try sprinting with it.

Be creative, sometimes I use it to do weighed b/w exercises because it is more comfortable then chains and weighted belts,and can be taken off faster then weighed vests.

Just typed in sandbag exercises and this poped up, have fun

http://www.youtube.com/user/SandbagFitness
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:02 PM   #29
CookAndrewB
New Brawn

CookAndrewB is new to the forumCookAndrewB is new to the forum

For a sandbag, I would try the following circuit:

-10 sandbag clean and jerk/throw (think ballistic press, but launch it, don't hold it. Make sure each setup off the ground is solid, you don't want to accelerate a weight off the ground with poor lower back position/tightness).
-10 shoulder sandbag, jump squat (again, let the sangbag launch off your shoulder and start each rep from the ground)
- 10 sandbag shuttles (I use 100' runs). pick up the sandbag (any way) run 100', drop it, run back to the start, run back to the sandbag, pick it up (any way), run back to the start, drop it, run to the finish and back, grab the sandbag... you get the picture. It should end up with 100' of running the bag, and 200' of running without.

Lather, rinse, repeat. Good for developing stamina and explosive power. sandbags are a great learning tool for explosive lifts because you can screw up and drop them on yourself and they don't hurt (trust me, a 160lb sandbag will let you know it is there, but not like a 160lb metal bar
CookAndrewB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:14 PM   #30
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72

kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookAndrewB View Post
For a sandbag, I would try the following circuit:

-10 sandbag clean and jerk/throw (think ballistic press, but launch it, don't hold it. Make sure each setup off the ground is solid, you don't want to accelerate a weight off the ground with poor lower back position/tightness).
-10 shoulder sandbag, jump squat (again, let the sangbag launch off your shoulder and start each rep from the ground)
- 10 sandbag shuttles (I use 100' runs). pick up the sandbag (any way) run 100', drop it, run back to the start, run back to the sandbag, pick it up (any way), run back to the start, drop it, run to the finish and back, grab the sandbag... you get the picture. It should end up with 100' of running the bag, and 200' of running without.

Lather, rinse, repeat. Good for developing stamina and explosive power. sandbags are a great learning tool for explosive lifts because you can screw up and drop them on yourself and they don't hurt (trust me, a 160lb sandbag will let you know it is there, but not like a 160lb metal bar
going to try this this coming weekend for sure.

thanks.
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)