Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:42 PM   #1
SCStrong
Max Brawn
Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Beer; Milk is for Babies
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member
Default Deadlifts for short people....Questions

Ok, I have short legs 30" inseam and relatively long arms for my height of5'9".
When I dead lift it seems as if I may not be bending my knees enough. My deadlifts almost resemble SLDL's.

I do not have to bend very far forward to get the bar to my shins.

So, is this an issue I should be concerned with? Does it make the lift less effective? Any recomendations?
Old 01-24-2013, 10:15 PM   #2
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: the one that doesn't hurt
Fav Supp: Milk
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCStrong View Post
Ok, I have short legs 30" inseam and relatively long arms for my height of5'9".
When I dead lift it seems as if I may not be bending my knees enough. My deadlifts almost resemble SLDL's.

I do not have to bend very far forward to get the bar to my shins.

So, is this an issue I should be concerned with? Does it make the lift less effective? Any recomendations?
I think you should be in good shape for decent pulling. You're torso length would play a role in leverage as well.

Post a pic/vid of you doing the lift so we can see if anything seems amiss.

Also, don't forget all the deadlift varieties if conventional doesn't fit you.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:33 PM   #3
Cutty
Max Brawn
Points: 5,647, Level: 48 Points: 5,647, Level: 48 Points: 5,647, Level: 48
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 3.5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Amino Acids
Cutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master member

I second the variety. I would need to see a video so see exactly what you're talking about. You should look into sumo as well. I'm short 5'6 and I seem to have short legs and longer torso. I have some mobility I'm working on but I seem to pull decent. I am working on getting able to sumo which I think would be good for short people, less of a pull and (since I'm heavy) I have a good lever on the bar. Post a vid man!
Cutty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
SCStrong
Max Brawn
Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Beer; Milk is for Babies
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

I pull, fine..... my weights are on the rise and my lower back feels ok --- my only concern was does not having as much leg involvement limit the effect of the exercise?
Old 01-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCStrong View Post
When I dead lift it seems as if I may not be bending my knees enough.
Have a video anywhere on line?

I have a 28" inseam myself.

If you are RDLing your deadlift I am betting I will spot 2-3 things you can do immediately to fix that, regardless of body type.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:07 PM   #6
elijah
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,896, Level: 25 Points: 1,896, Level: 25 Points: 1,896, Level: 25
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 2
Fav Supp: Red meat & diet Rockstar
elijah is a dedicated contributorelijah is a dedicated contributorelijah is a dedicated contributorelijah is a dedicated contributorelijah is a dedicated contributorelijah is a dedicated contributorelijah is a dedicated contributorelijah is a dedicated contributorelijah is a dedicated contributorelijah is a dedicated contributorelijah is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Have a video anywhere on line?

I have a 28" inseam myself.

If you are RDLing your deadlift I am betting I will spot 2-3 things you can do immediately to fix that, regardless of body type.
Do tell, BtB. My old man watched me deadlift and said I almost RDL when I was doing my pulls. I'm similar in body type to the original poster, long torso, short legs and when I squat I have hard time keeping my heels on floor. I've been doing the mobility work/stretches suggested by Faz to correct this.
elijah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:38 PM   #7
Cutty
Max Brawn
Points: 5,647, Level: 48 Points: 5,647, Level: 48 Points: 5,647, Level: 48
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 3.5 years
Fav Supp: Amino Acids
Cutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master member

Video will be best like btb said. I imagine you aren't sitting back. I literally will back back (have to step back to catch myself) if I do it right on low weights. you're trying to keep the bar touching your legs (as close to that) and think about pushing the floor down, not pulling the bar up.. A video would be prime though. I'm pretty stiff/immobile in some areas and I'm starting to get it.. You'll know when you hit that form because it's like holy crap how did I do that.
Cutty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:16 PM   #8
1morerep
Max Brawn
Points: 5,041, Level: 45 Points: 5,041, Level: 45 Points: 5,041, Level: 45
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast

^^^^What they said^^^^^post short video. In that way we can coach you, and suggest correction.

540/385/515 (previous meet)

http://www.metalmilitia-va.com/

Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go!!!

1MOREREP 2014
1morerep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:26 PM   #9
Trevor Lane
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn
Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: A few
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Supp: T-Bomb II
Trevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beast

I have a similar build and have a process for setting up that may help you. What I do is step up to the bar, position my feet, bend down and position my hands, then I try to "sit" on the floor but keep my arms straight, look up, and stand up with the weight. This is how I make sure that I'm driving with the legs and keeping my back straight instead of rounding and trying to pull the weight with my arms.
Trevor Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #10
fenrisulfr
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68

Training Exp: 4
Fav Supp: Chicken breast
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

Long arms are good for deads.
fenrisulfr is offline   Reply With Quote