Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Deadlifts for short people....Questions (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12305)

SCStrong 01-24-2013 09:42 PM

Deadlifts for short people....Questions

Ok, I have short legs 30" inseam and relatively long arms for my height of5'9".
When I dead lift it seems as if I may not be bending my knees enough. My deadlifts almost resemble SLDL's.

I do not have to bend very far forward to get the bar to my shins.

So, is this an issue I should be concerned with? Does it make the lift less effective? Any recomendations?:confused:

jdmalm123 01-24-2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCStrong (Post 316646)
Ok, I have short legs 30" inseam and relatively long arms for my height of5'9".
When I dead lift it seems as if I may not be bending my knees enough. My deadlifts almost resemble SLDL's.

I do not have to bend very far forward to get the bar to my shins.

So, is this an issue I should be concerned with? Does it make the lift less effective? Any recomendations?:confused:

I think you should be in good shape for decent pulling. You're torso length would play a role in leverage as well.

Post a pic/vid of you doing the lift so we can see if anything seems amiss.

Also, don't forget all the deadlift varieties if conventional doesn't fit you.

Cutty 01-24-2013 10:33 PM

I second the variety. I would need to see a video so see exactly what you're talking about. You should look into sumo as well. I'm short 5'6 and I seem to have short legs and longer torso. I have some mobility I'm working on but I seem to pull decent. I am working on getting able to sumo which I think would be good for short people, less of a pull and (since I'm heavy) I have a good lever on the bar. Post a vid man!

SCStrong 01-25-2013 11:44 AM

I pull, fine..... my weights are on the rise and my lower back feels ok --- my only concern was does not having as much leg involvement limit the effect of the exercise?

BendtheBar 01-25-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCStrong (Post 316646)
When I dead lift it seems as if I may not be bending my knees enough.

Have a video anywhere on line?

I have a 28" inseam myself.

If you are RDLing your deadlift I am betting I will spot 2-3 things you can do immediately to fix that, regardless of body type.

1morerep 01-25-2013 12:16 PM

^^^^What they said^^^^^post short video. In that way we can coach you, and suggest correction.

Trevor Lane 01-25-2013 12:26 PM

I have a similar build and have a process for setting up that may help you. What I do is step up to the bar, position my feet, bend down and position my hands, then I try to "sit" on the floor but keep my arms straight, look up, and stand up with the weight. This is how I make sure that I'm driving with the legs and keeping my back straight instead of rounding and trying to pull the weight with my arms.

fenrisulfr 01-25-2013 12:59 PM

Long arms are good for deads.

elijah 01-25-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 316874)
Have a video anywhere on line?

I have a 28" inseam myself.

If you are RDLing your deadlift I am betting I will spot 2-3 things you can do immediately to fix that, regardless of body type.

Do tell, BtB. My old man watched me deadlift and said I almost RDL when I was doing my pulls. I'm similar in body type to the original poster, long torso, short legs and when I squat I have hard time keeping my heels on floor. I've been doing the mobility work/stretches suggested by Faz to correct this.

Cutty 01-25-2013 03:38 PM

Video will be best like btb said. I imagine you aren't sitting back. I literally will back back (have to step back to catch myself) if I do it right on low weights. you're trying to keep the bar touching your legs (as close to that) and think about pushing the floor down, not pulling the bar up.. A video would be prime though. I'm pretty stiff/immobile in some areas and I'm starting to get it.. You'll know when you hit that form because it's like holy crap how did I do that.