Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:23 PM   #1
spiritthief
New Brawn
Points: 699, Level: 13 Points: 699, Level: 13 Points: 699, Level: 13
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: MaxiMuscle Promax
spiritthief has made some very good postsspiritthief has made some very good postsspiritthief has made some very good postsspiritthief has made some very good postsspiritthief has made some very good postsspiritthief has made some very good postsspiritthief has made some very good postsspiritthief has made some very good postsspiritthief has made some very good postsspiritthief has made some very good postsspiritthief has made some very good posts
Default Directions needeed.

Hello there.

I would need some directions in terms of where to go.
I started my proper lifting career with 5x5, then moved to 5/3/1. I am now 94kg and I lift (1PR's in kg)

Bench:110
Squats:150
Deadlift:155
Row:80
Military Press:60

I was reading a lot of articles about early-advanced stage plans, some of them stated body-weight percentages to tell me when to switch to MadCow, the other gave me exact kilogramms when to move to 3x3, etc. I am a bit confused.

My goal is to be bigger and stronger. I would like to break the 200kg dream limit in both deadlifts and squats, and I would like to stay in the 100kg weight bracket.

So, for the next 6 months or so, what would be the suggested programme of your choice?

Thanks
Andras
spiritthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2013, 06:11 PM   #2
evilinmotion
Evil Member
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,228, Level: 19 Points: 1,228, Level: 19 Points: 1,228, Level: 19
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 18 (13 powerlifting)
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: MHP
evilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritthief View Post
Hello there.

I would need some directions in terms of where to go.
I started my proper lifting career with 5x5, then moved to 5/3/1. I am now 94kg and I lift (1PR's in kg)

Bench:110
Squats:150
Deadlift:155
Row:80
Military Press:60

I was reading a lot of articles about early-advanced stage plans, some of them stated body-weight percentages to tell me when to switch to MadCow, the other gave me exact kilogramms when to move to 3x3, etc. I am a bit confused.

My goal is to be bigger and stronger. I would like to break the 200kg dream limit in both deadlifts and squats, and I would like to stay in the 100kg weight bracket.

So, for the next 6 months or so, what would be the suggested programme of your choice?

Thanks
Andras
If I was you I will stick to 5x5.

Type 2 Diabetic / A1C: 12.9% @ 07 Aug 2013
evilinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:31 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Rule #1 for me is if what you're doing is working, keep doing it. I would probably milk out another 50 pounds on bench, and 100 on squats and deadlifts, and then assess how things are going.

How has progress been on 531 for you?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #4
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I agree with BtB. Ride that horse until he pulls-up lame. Switching routines is just a slow road to progress; you have to rebuild every time you start something new.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:21 PM   #5
PhillyDev
Low man on the totem pole
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,001, Level: 27 Points: 2,001, Level: 27 Points: 2,001, Level: 27
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Fav Exercise: A heavy one.
PhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machine

I didn't really make very good gains on 531, until Brian Carroll slapped me in the face for using percentages and ignoring doubles. So it's 5,3, deload, 2,1, deload. And I lift whatever is heavy that day. I don't get too caught up in percentages until its time to peak.
PhillyDev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:55 PM   #6
Cutty
Max Brawn
Points: 5,647, Level: 48 Points: 5,647, Level: 48 Points: 5,647, Level: 48
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 3.5 years
Fav Supp: Amino Acids
Cutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master member

I like the 5x5, I've been sticking with it for a while, getting good results and I agree with btb and others, if something is working then keep going with it. I haven't tried 531 yet, I've stuck with stronglifts 5x5 and I have an excel sheet that lays out your 12 week program and I just follow it.

Keep your diet in check, get your form down correct and just hit it hard man, you have some great numbers.
Cutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:26 PM   #7
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: the one that doesn't hurt
Fav Supp: Milk
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

MY best gains on a 5x5.... don't mess with success!
Old 01-25-2013, 02:34 AM   #8
spiritthief
New Brawn

spiritthief has made some very good postsspiritthief has made some very good postsspiritthief has made some very good postsspiritthief has made some very good postsspiritthief has made some very good postsspiritthief has made some very good postsspiritthief has made some very good postsspiritthief has made some very good postsspiritthief has made some very good postsspiritthief has made some very good postsspiritthief has made some very good posts

5/3/1 : I had a feeling that I changed into this a bit early and missed the 5x5 badly. Gains slowed down, well, actually stopped, but I cannot really put my fingers on it exactly why. (there was semester finals and a bad stomach bug involved as well resulting me literally not eating anything for a week loosing 5kg's)

Thanks for the advice, I will put a 5x5 program together with some back- and assistance work on off-days. Thanks guys.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:22 AM   #9
1morerep
Max Brawn
Points: 5,041, Level: 45 Points: 5,041, Level: 45 Points: 5,041, Level: 45
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast

If I understand right....you only weight 100kg; however you barely lift 110kg (242lbs). At this point and some of you may not agree but I would concentrate in just get stronger..Routins like 5/3/1, 5x5 and other are techniques much advance than the mate in question. I'm pretty sure he is new to powerlifting. He was bite by the bug. Now he needs to get stronger. A lot of reps, a lot of accumulation training and good nutrition. WHY? Asssuming that those numbers are correct, He is barely lifting 1:1 in the bench, and 1:1.5 in DL & Squat.

540/385/515 (previous meet)

http://www.metalmilitia-va.com/

Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go!!!

1MOREREP 2014

Last edited by 1morerep; 01-25-2013 at 10:14 AM.
1morerep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:59 AM   #10
spiritthief
New Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1morerep View Post
If I understand right....you only weight 100kg; however you ponly lift 110kg (242lbs). At this point ans some of you may not agree but I would concentrate in just get stronger..Routins like 5/3/1, 5x5 and other are techniques much advance than the mate in question. I'm pretty sure he is new to powerlifting. He was bite by the bug. Now he needs to get stronger. A lot of reps, a lot of accumulation training and good nutrition. WHY? Asssuming that those numbers are correct, He is barely lifting 1:1 in the bench, and 1:1.5 in DL & Squat.
Yes, you are right, this is pretty much the case, but I was really under the impression that strongman 5x5 is 'THE' de-facto beginner programme what you can start with the only the bar. Correct me guys please if I am wrong, and advise?

THanks in advance