Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:52 AM   #11
ehubbard
Raw/Multiply Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
ehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beast

Certainly not a back expert but have you done any foam rolling and lacrosse ball work to the glutes / piriformis? Also, How long can you hold a plank for?
Old 03-19-2013, 02:06 PM   #12
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member
Default Update

I deadlifted for the first time in 5 or 6 weeks this morning.
Since the first week without deadlifting I have had little to no back issues. This is with Back squatting twice a week, front squats, powercleans, light good mornings and OHPing once a week.
Also, last week I tried some light high rep SLDLs and had no issues.

This morning however, I started feeling the discomfort after my second deadlift set at 185. I realize when I pull at the top I really snap my hips forwards/upper back backwards. And when doing this I bring my back past the point of straight up and lean bacwards. I do this very rapidly.

I am starting to wonder if this isn't what is causing the problems.

This video was filmed on Jan. 19, the last time I deadlifted and it hurt the shit out of my lower back. It was done at a relatively low weight, yet it hurt.
As you can see I pop at the top. I wonder if this "pop" is causing the issue and I need to concentrate on just standing straight up without that "pop", if that makes any sense.....

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:17 PM   #13
1morerep
Max Brawn
Points: 5,041, Level: 45 Points: 5,041, Level: 45 Points: 5,041, Level: 45
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast

Hey Josh...try to concentrate in push the weights away from the ground instead of lift the weight with your back...

also, try sumo to see how works for you.

540/385/515 (previous meet)

http://www.metalmilitia-va.com/

Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go!!!

1MOREREP 2014
1morerep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #14
BigJosh
Max Brawn

BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1morerep View Post
Hey Josh...try to concentrate in push the weights away from the ground instead of lift the weight with your back...

also, try sumo to see how works for you.
You know, I used to do that first part. And that is how I've always taught people to deadlift. But, I have gotten away from that. Great suggestion.

As for sumo. I will give that a shot. That is also a great idea. Thank you.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #15
ehubbard
Raw/Multiply Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66

Training Exp: 15
ehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beast

Stop hyperextending at the top. Get your abs stronger. Foam roll. Roll glutes with lacrosse ball and see if you have any painful adhesion points and roll them out until you start crying. Your lower back also looks a little rounded at the start try and keep it neutral. I think a heavy dose of planks will set you in the right direction.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:55 PM   #16
BigJosh
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
Stop hyperextending at the top. Get your abs stronger. Foam roll. Roll glutes with lacrosse ball and see if you have any painful adhesion points and roll them out until you start crying. Your lower back also looks a little rounded at the start try and keep it neutral. I think a heavy dose of planks will set you in the right direction.
Great advice. I have already been foam rolling and using a ball, but will do it with more regularity. I will commit to doing planks on a weekly basis.
Thank you for your response.

Quote:
Make gains, not excuses.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:39 PM   #17
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

It's definitely time to come at the whole lift differently. It LOOKS painful, the way you're doing it now. If I were in your position I would read everything I could on deadlifting. One thing I learned from golfing is that sometimes just having the right thought in your head can change everything. You need to find that thought.

For me on deadlifts I've been working on feeling like I'm pushing my legs between my hands at the start of the lift. Just this small thought got my butt down, my back flatter, and my legs far more involved than they had been before.

The good news, I suppose, is that it does look like form is your problem. It could be a LOT worse, as we all know.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:27 PM   #18
BigJosh
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
It's definitely time to come at the whole lift differently. It LOOKS painful, the way you're doing it now. If I were in your position I would read everything I could on deadlifting. One thing I learned from golfing is that sometimes just having the right thought in your head can change everything. You need to find that thought.

For me on deadlifts I've been working on feeling like I'm pushing my legs between my hands at the start of the lift. Just this small thought got my butt down, my back flatter, and my legs far more involved than they had been before.

The good news, I suppose, is that it does look like form is your problem. It could be a LOT worse, as we all know.
THanks for the advice. I've read rippetoe's starting strength and the deadlift description in 5/3/1. I think part of the problem is that in the moment, it feels like I'm doing it right, with the exception of the hyperextension.

Could you be more specific on some of the things you see that I am doing wrong?
Specific criticism would help me improve the form flaws. I think it's almost as if I need someone standing there when I lift saying don't do this, do that. Since I don't have that, I am relying on critiques from guys like you to help me make those changes.

Thanks again.

Quote:
Make gains, not excuses.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #19
thewingnut13
In Training....
New Brawn
Points: 204, Level: 4 Points: 204, Level: 4 Points: 204, Level: 4

Training Exp: 1 Year
Fav Exercise: Weighted Chest Dip
Fav Supp: ON Gold Standard Protein
thewingnut13 has made some good poststhewingnut13 has made some good poststhewingnut13 has made some good poststhewingnut13 has made some good poststhewingnut13 has made some good poststhewingnut13 has made some good poststhewingnut13 has made some good poststhewingnut13 has made some good poststhewingnut13 has made some good poststhewingnut13 has made some good poststhewingnut13 has made some good posts

Man i hope everything works out for you!
Old 03-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #20
Corcioch
New Brawn
Points: 286, Level: 5 Points: 286, Level: 5 Points: 286, Level: 5

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Education
Corcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good posts

I also injured my back Deadlifting 420lbs at 85kg BW for reps . . . . .I jerked a lift one day and was using wayyy too much lower back in general.

My pain was also in the lower center of my back.

It hurt everytime I deadlifted and put me off my training, hurt alot when I sat in a car seat for any length of time. . . . .So I went to see a Physiotherapist.

I actually went to an 'Osteopath' . . . He told me I had damaged my spinal erectors. They were in spasam . . . it was sore when he even touched that area of my back the first session

He 'worked' on my back over 2 sessions . . .sort of deep tissue massage and various other 'moves' to set my back . . that coupled with me taking a very close look at my form, backing off the weight and building more slowly has my back as good as new now. My back actually feels great now . . .

I would thoroughly recommend seeing a good physio/ Osteopath. He spotted a number of other imbalances in my movements too . . . .such as lumbar flexion in the squat, bad kyphosis in upper torso etc that I never knew I had. It was a good learning experience . . .

I found a certain Derek Poundstone video on Youtube excellent, in the way Derek explains how to actually use your lower back in the deadlift. . . .it just made so much sense to me the way he explains it . . . .simple but hugely effective.

Andy Bolton's book Deadlift Dynamite and Mark Rippetoes UTube Videos also helped me alot to fix a few flaws in my form and get back on track.

Im no expert . . .but thats my 2 cents if it can help all well and good.

Last edited by Corcioch; 03-19-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Corcioch is offline   Reply With Quote