Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:41 PM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Wide Stance Squats vs. Conventional

It is my belief that: a lifter should build up conventional squat form and strength before venturing into wide stance squats because conventional are a more natural squat, and because wide stance squats are a more technical lift.

So that's my opinion.

What say you?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2013, 12:26 AM   #2
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

So say we all.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:43 AM   #3
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

I am of the understanding that wide is more for the geared lifter.But what the hell do I know?

I used to do my squats on the wider side. I made very little progress and had some nasty groin/adductor pain. Brought my stance in (i think based on advise from MaB ), adductor pain went away and my squat numbers started going up. True story bro.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:37 AM   #4
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

The quads and chest have such greater capability to be big, far greater than that of the triceps or hamstrings it seems insane to ignore them.

But insane is what people like!
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:33 AM   #5
RobMoriRB
Max Brawn
Points: 10,240, Level: 67 Points: 10,240, Level: 67 Points: 10,240, Level: 67
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%

Training Exp: 3
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Mutant Mass
RobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master member

Steve you are right that it takes more technical then convential. Since I have switched, I have found my squats have gone up faster compared to convential squatting. Fazc is right to a point where hamstrings won't get big. For me I expect it to be stronger.
Dead Lift: 501

GYM PR
Squat: 405
Bench: 285
Dead Lift: 475

Block Program:http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums...ad.php?t=17576
BLOG:http://theanimalmethod.wordpress.com/
RobMoriRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:31 AM   #6
Paradox
Max Brawn
Points: 4,404, Level: 42 Points: 4,404, Level: 42 Points: 4,404, Level: 42
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: July 2011 (competition)
Training Type: Sheiko
Paradox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beast

I think it really does depend on whether we're talking about raw or gear here. An argument can be made for single-ply vs multi-ply as well.

I have absolutely zero experience with multi-ply. In fact, I haven't even seen multi-ply gear in real life. That being said, until very recently I was trying go to wide and squat like a multi-ply guy. I've discussed this in another thread already.

To me, there are very few circumstances where wide stance squatting beats conventional squatting when raw. It requires a tremendous amount of mobility to even reach depth (I've found this personally, as have others) when squatting wide. Taking a shoulder width stance (approximately) let me hit depth a LOT easier. This was even when working mobility religiously.

Additionally, I think the extra load that a lifter can place on their quads with conventional vs wide stance squatting also helps tremendously when raw.

The only caveat I can really add to this is that extremely long legged raw lifters can often get away with wide stance squatting and have it be better for them than conventional (eg Dan Green).

Like I said, I can't speak about multi-ply, and only have a little experience with single-ply. I would tend to agree that lifters should build their conventional before moving into wide stance squatting for multi-ply.
Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:16 PM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
I think it really does depend on whether we're talking about raw or gear here.
I am addressing beginning squatters, non-powerlifters.

My recommendation was that they build up some base strength and work on conventional form for a while before trying wide stance squats.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #8
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I am addressing beginning squatters, non-powerlifters.

My recommendation was that they build up some base strength and work on conventional form for a while before trying wide stance squats.
If asked I would give a very similar answer. Right now as I am relearning how to squat raw, I am inside my shoulders.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #9
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Byrd View Post
If asked I would give a very similar answer. Right now as I am relearning how to squat raw, I am inside my shoulders.
I'll fly down and teach you! Haha

It was funny when I was doing "wide" stance squats the other week, as per your program. The Crew guys were laughing (they all lift geared) as their stance is almost 2X my wide stance. At first I wondered if I'm doing something wrong and then realized equipped is a whole new ballgame, just like going from equipped to raw.

My minimum is a dime.
Bench: 286 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1262 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 300 lbs
Deadlift: 520 lbs
Total: 1315 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:51 AM   #10
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Speaking in general, a more moderate stance is the way to go for most lifters. As I add gear my stance gets wider. Also the use of a monolift would be a factor. For conversation sake, as most people are going to be raw lifters, lets stick to that.

From my experience most raw lifters rely on some rebound created with speed and a more narrow stance. BTB hits on a big point of the more natural position. If you walked up to someone out in town and asked them to do a squat, they wouldnt make their feet outside their shoulders.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote