Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Wide Stance Squats vs. Conventional (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12221)

BendtheBar 01-15-2013 11:41 PM

Wide Stance Squats vs. Conventional

It is my belief that: a lifter should build up conventional squat form and strength before venturing into wide stance squats because conventional are a more natural squat, and because wide stance squats are a more technical lift.

So that's my opinion.

What say you?

Off Road 01-16-2013 12:26 AM

So say we all.

BigJosh 01-16-2013 12:43 AM

I am of the understanding that wide is more for the geared lifter.But what the hell do I know?

I used to do my squats on the wider side. I made very little progress and had some nasty groin/adductor pain. Brought my stance in (i think based on advise from MaB ;)), adductor pain went away and my squat numbers started going up. True story bro.

Fazc 01-16-2013 04:37 AM

The quads and chest have such greater capability to be big, far greater than that of the triceps or hamstrings it seems insane to ignore them.

But insane is what people like!

RobMoriRB 01-16-2013 06:33 AM

Steve you are right that it takes more technical then convential. Since I have switched, I have found my squats have gone up faster compared to convential squatting. Fazc is right to a point where hamstrings won't get big. For me I expect it to be stronger.

Paradox 01-16-2013 07:31 AM

I think it really does depend on whether we're talking about raw or gear here. An argument can be made for single-ply vs multi-ply as well.

I have absolutely zero experience with multi-ply. In fact, I haven't even seen multi-ply gear in real life. That being said, until very recently I was trying go to wide and squat like a multi-ply guy. I've discussed this in another thread already.

To me, there are very few circumstances where wide stance squatting beats conventional squatting when raw. It requires a tremendous amount of mobility to even reach depth (I've found this personally, as have others) when squatting wide. Taking a shoulder width stance (approximately) let me hit depth a LOT easier. This was even when working mobility religiously.

Additionally, I think the extra load that a lifter can place on their quads with conventional vs wide stance squatting also helps tremendously when raw.

The only caveat I can really add to this is that extremely long legged raw lifters can often get away with wide stance squatting and have it be better for them than conventional (eg Dan Green).

Like I said, I can't speak about multi-ply, and only have a little experience with single-ply. I would tend to agree that lifters should build their conventional before moving into wide stance squatting for multi-ply.

J_Byrd 01-16-2013 07:51 AM

Speaking in general, a more moderate stance is the way to go for most lifters. As I add gear my stance gets wider. Also the use of a monolift would be a factor. For conversation sake, as most people are going to be raw lifters, lets stick to that.

From my experience most raw lifters rely on some rebound created with speed and a more narrow stance. BTB hits on a big point of the more natural position. If you walked up to someone out in town and asked them to do a squat, they wouldnt make their feet outside their shoulders.

IronWill 01-16-2013 08:43 AM

For myself, a wider stance feels more natural and has been a godsend for my knees. When I do front squats I use an almost sumo stance. I really like the way it engages things from glute to calf.

Soldier 01-16-2013 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Byrd (Post 312903)
Speaking in general, a more moderate stance is the way to go for most lifters. As I add gear my stance gets wider. Also the use of a monolift would be a factor. For conversation sake, as most people are going to be raw lifters, lets stick to that.

From my experience most raw lifters rely on some rebound created with speed and a more narrow stance. BTB hits on a big point of the more natural position. If you walked up to someone out in town and asked them to do a squat, they wouldnt make their feet outside their shoulders.

But they would also shoot their knees forward and lift their heals. Just playing devil's advocate.

Personally, I've always done everything wide when lifting. Always had a wide grip on bench and a wide stance on squats. It works for me, but the strongest raw lifters I've known have tended to be more narrow, which definitely goes along with what you guys are saying. I guess my point is that certain rules may work for most, but it won't be the case for everyone.

Paradox 01-16-2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soldier (Post 312929)
... I guess my point is that certain rules may work for most, but it won't be the case for everyone.

Certainly agree with that. It's all about finding what's best for an individual.