Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #21
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2013, 12:16 PM   #22
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
I think it really does depend on whether we're talking about raw or gear here.
I am addressing beginning squatters, non-powerlifters.

My recommendation was that they build up some base strength and work on conventional form for a while before trying wide stance squats.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #23
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Spider Solitare Four Suit Champion! Pick Up Sticks 3D Champion!
Tournaments Won: 3

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I am addressing beginning squatters, non-powerlifters.

My recommendation was that they build up some base strength and work on conventional form for a while before trying wide stance squats.
If asked I would give a very similar answer. Right now as I am relearning how to squat raw, I am inside my shoulders.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #24
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Byrd View Post
If asked I would give a very similar answer. Right now as I am relearning how to squat raw, I am inside my shoulders.
I'll fly down and teach you! Haha

It was funny when I was doing "wide" stance squats the other week, as per your program. The Crew guys were laughing (they all lift geared) as their stance is almost 2X my wide stance. At first I wondered if I'm doing something wrong and then realized equipped is a whole new ballgame, just like going from equipped to raw.

My minimum is a dime.
Bench: 275 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1251 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 295 lbs
Deadlift: 515 lbs
Total: 1305 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:29 PM   #25
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

I guess I might be an anomally. Not a beginning lifter,but certainly no expert.

With regard to squatting down and picking something up,I generally never squat down for a dime,pen,whatever. I will get down on one knee.

Perhaps its a flexibility issue,or muscular weakness,core,quads,hams,who knows. Even as narrow as shoulder width,I either squat on my toes,or I don't hit parralel and end up leaning forward or falling on my butt. Wide stance low bar is best for me at this time,even though its opposite of what most raw guys do.

With that said,I am making it a point to work on narrow stance squats as an assistance.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:43 PM   #26
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

I have not read through this entire thread, so I have no helpful comments only an observation. This morning I gave Sumo deads a try during my warmup lifts. I guess I have been doing them conventional so long that it felt very awkward and uncomfortable. may just be me.

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:48 PM   #27
evilinmotion
Evil Member
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,228, Level: 19 Points: 1,228, Level: 19 Points: 1,228, Level: 19
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 18 (13 powerlifting)
Fav Supp: MHP
evilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteDreams View Post
I guess I might be an anomally. Not a beginning lifter,but certainly no expert.

With regard to squatting down and picking something up,I generally never squat down for a dime,pen,whatever. I will get down on one knee.

Perhaps its a flexibility issue,or muscular weakness,core,quads,hams,who knows. Even as narrow as shoulder width,I either squat on my toes,or I don't hit parralel and end up leaning forward or falling on my butt. Wide stance low bar is best for me at this time,even though its opposite of what most raw guys do.

With that said,I am making it a point to work on narrow stance squats as an assistance.
I guess I am not the only one, I also get down on one knee if I am picking up something that's not heavy. But I agree with the building your squat up normal and then going wide if you choose to, its just more natural. I noticed that the double VS. Single ply issue came up but no one had commented on walking the weight VS monolift...Seems that the majority of wide squatters usually compete in Feds that use the Monolift, Yes there are a few that go wide on the regular stands but I don't think I have seen anyone going Chuck V. wide on the regular stands...
evilinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:54 PM   #28
EliteDreams
Max Brawn

EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Good point Motion. I've noticed my walkouts are not consistent,sometimes I stay wide,other times walk out narrow. Better be more consistent before I start lifting big numbers.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:15 PM   #29
evilinmotion
Evil Member
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,228, Level: 19 Points: 1,228, Level: 19 Points: 1,228, Level: 19
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 18 (13 powerlifting)
Fav Supp: MHP
evilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributor

Elitedreams, one thing that helped me get my Squat stance to be almost dead on everytime was practice in front of a mirror. I used to practice that every single time ...unrack, set, rack...I was one of those that use to take way too many steps back and ended up wide sometimes or too narrow other times when i started, a lot of practice and all I do is step,step and i am set.
evilinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:22 PM   #30
EliteDreams
Max Brawn

Good stuff. Mirrors are not always evil.