Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   3 months to increase my squat by 65 lbs (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1221)

JesseA 11-15-2009 11:46 PM

3 months to increase my squat by 65 lbs

I'd really like to hit 380 for my squat in Feb at the MN State Open. Tonight after deadlifts, I was testing my 1RM max squat ( I know, probably a bad idea to wear myself down repping out in deadlifts before testing 1RM anything!), so hopefully that means my low numbers tonight should be higher.

I wanted to make sure I was hitting proper depth, so I found a box that brought me to just a bit lower than 'legal' depth just to make sure I wasn't cheating. I barely got 315 up and failed miserably with 325.

Would changing to an olympic weightlifting style shoe help much? I am currently lifting with a wrestling shoe, but have been looking at the Rogue fitness shoe, as I've read it helps recruit the quads a little more.

Anyone have some tricks to help get out of the hole? Maybe some good assistance exercises...

I've brought my stance in a bit from moderately wide to just past shoulder width. I'm not sure if that is making much of a difference, other than my hips down hurt at the bottom of the squat anymore.

BigFiveFive 11-16-2009 01:32 AM

Honestly man I would just train barefoot, I feel like it adds more power and balance to my lifts.

Bodybygamma 11-16-2009 03:02 AM

Take 1 month to do wendlers 5/3/1 to get a bit stronger, and give everything you have got on the reps. Take the 2nd month to stimulate your C.N.S and blast through your sticking points and get used to handling the weight. On the 3rd month, depending on when your meet is, work on an opener, and do it! Also find out what equipment your allowed to use, I hear knee wraps alone can make a lot of difference in the way poundage can be moved. Olympic style shoe might help, I been asking myself the same question. I am going to buy a pair off a friend soon and let you know how it goes.

glwanabe 11-16-2009 06:30 AM

I bought some Olympic shoes, and I love them. I just can't wear Chucks anymore, except to look stylish. My feet ache if I dont wear something with a good solid sole.

I bought the VS athletics shoes.

VS Athletics> Main Section > Dealers > Dealer Apparel/Footwear

BendtheBar 11-16-2009 08:32 AM

If you need sticking point help, I would train with box squats almost exclusively. If you do Wendler's, or any other powerlifting routine, stick with box squats.

For squat assistance work, have you messed with good mornings at all yet?

swoleramon 11-16-2009 09:25 AM

I'm not a very good squatter myself so I don't have any advice. Wanted to say good luck.

JesseA 11-16-2009 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuscleandBrawn (Post 10282)
If you need sticking point help, I would train with box squats almost exclusively. If you do Wendler's, or any other powerlifting routine, stick with box squats.

For squat assistance work, have you messed with good mornings at all yet?

I should have prefaced with what my current training is.. I am wave/phase 6 of wendler's 5/3/1. for Squat, I've been training by doing regular parallel squats, and olympic full atg squats. Assistance work: Good Mornings, DB Split Squats, leg presses. I just started box squats again with a low box. I was using a higher box that was not a giving me proper depth.

I think I will do another cycle of 5/3/1 and work exclusively with a low box and follow up with the Big But Boring assistance to just get massive amounts of volume for the next 4 weeks.

Maybe follow that up with some Anderson squats to help blast out of the hole.