Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Switch to Sumo (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12196)

Hunterace 01-13-2013 06:50 PM

Switch to Sumo

BtB lifted with me on Saturday. Did a little deadlift form work after benching, and then he had me try Sumo Deadlift. I felt very comfortable pulling that way, and really liked it alot! The weight was about 55-60% of my max conventional, but I believe I could have done much more. I just started a new cycle and have only done deads for week one, so it's not as if I'm halfway through a 12-16 week cycle.
What's the best way to transition to doing Sumo as my main dead? Is there anything "wrong" in doing this? I would still do conventional, but not as often or possibly as an accessory lift.
I was thinking of resting up a little then testing out a max Sumo. Then doing them as my main dead work.
Is this a bad idea? I along with many, have had my issues with conventional. I'm not giving up on them, ever! But Sumo felt "right" to me, I used more of my legs, and my legs need lots of help.
Thoughts and or ideas are appreciated, thanks:rockon:

nighttrain 01-13-2013 06:57 PM

Hunter, i transitioned to Sumo years ago. for me it allows me to get my ass down, and pull more with my legs.. and it feels better. i think it all depends on the person, IMO if it feels better than go with it. i Do SLDL as an ancillery excercise, i can reall feel those in my hams. i think you will be fine with Sumos, and you can always also so regular deads in addition..

Go for it

NT

gaspers04 01-13-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nighttrain (Post 311736)
Hunter, i transitioned to Sumo years ago. for me it allows me to get my ass down, and pull more with my legs.. and it feels better. i think it all depends on the person, IMO if it feels better than go with it. i Do SLDL as an ancillery excercise, i can reall feel those in my hams. i think you will be fine with Sumos, and you can always also so regular deads in addition..

Go for it

NT

What he saideded

MikeM 01-13-2013 07:27 PM

Agree with all of the above comments.

That said, I have always done conventional, tried Sumo recently and was surprised at how much easier it felt. However, I was only using about 70%, so the weight being lighter certainly helps in thinking that it is easier.

I think testing out your max sumo is a good idea. Then you will know if it really is better for you. You might find it is easier with lower weights and damn hard on heavy weights. Who knows?

As for transitioning, just replace your deadlift sets, although I would go a bit lighter no matter what as it i a new exercise.

But, no matter what it is worth an experiment. Give it a go and see what happens. It certainly won't hurt your conventional strength. Might even compliment it, and the break your low back gets might well have that coming back a hell of a lot stronger too.

My .02. Good Luck!

Hunterace 01-13-2013 07:39 PM

Thanks men! Just wanted to make sure I wasn't makin a big mistake. I'll rest up til I feel good and give a max test a go. I don't know if I'll get up to a 405 pull like I did with BtB, but I still don't know how I pulled that anyhow :).
Appreciate it!

nighttrain 01-13-2013 07:47 PM

Moaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrr!!!!

Squatter 01-13-2013 09:45 PM

I just wish I would have thought of recommending you try Sumo a long time ago. Just roll with it Jay and don't over think it.:thrasher:

Mr.Silverback 01-13-2013 10:11 PM

I agree with everything that's been said

BigJosh 01-13-2013 10:23 PM

This is a great topic. I have considered the same thing in the last year. I have made extremely poor progress on my dead in the last year. I wonder if sumo would treat me better. I also have a recurring low back recovery issue.
What I am getting from this thread is that sumo dead lifting as a primary lift with maybe some rdl for assistance is a valid option. Is this correct?

Hunterace 01-13-2013 10:41 PM

Thanks everyone, I'll do my best!
Mike, I could be completely wrong. However I've been working on my conventional dead form for awhile, and I never got down and felt like I was in pproper position. Not to mention doing reps and having the second rep feel the same or better than the first! With conventional, every set up felt different, sometimes the pull felt good and then I watch the vid and it looks like ass :). I will test Sumos out and see how things go ;)
Josh, I believe the answers yes. I'm going to use Sumo as main dead work. I'll continue to do Leg Curls for extra ham work on Squat days. And do conventional deads as an accessory lift on dead days or Rack Pulls, along with Power Shrugs, which I love!!!
Thanks again everyone, appreciate the help and support!