Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:43 AM   #21
Hunterace
I'm quitting next week!
Max Brawn
Points: 17,415, Level: 84 Points: 17,415, Level: 84 Points: 17,415, Level: 84
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Thanks Fazc and Paradox!
Well the program I decided to use a week ago is....Periodized CAT Deadlift Routine. I'm using the same for squats. It starts out at 60ish % of 1RM and 15 weeks later a new PR. This is how it's laid out
Weeks 1, 2- 15 sets x 1
Weeks 3, 4- 12 sets x 1
Weeks 5, 6, 7- 8 sets x 1
Week 8- 6 sets x 1
Week 9- 5 sets x 1
Week 10- 4 sets x 1
Weeks 11, 12- 3 sets x 1
Week 13- 2 sets x 1
Weeks 14, 15- 1 set x 1 sets x 1

Think this will work well for me, and my head. I'll keep doing conventional pulls also on that day or on another day, but at a lighter weight I can hold decent form.
My Deadlift day is usually my main dead work, which in this case is now sumo deads. Then power shrugs, and either SLDL or conventional deads.
Think this is a good plan going forward, but open for any input.

~~~2 Chronicles 15:7 ~~~
But as for you, be strong and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded.

!!!MY HEAD HURTS!!!
My Training Log
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/sho...734#post494734

Last edited by Hunterace; 01-16-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Hunterace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2013, 09:58 AM   #22
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

While the plan has merit, I think you'd make a lot more progress doing them twice a week Hunter.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:03 AM   #23
Hunterace
I'm quitting next week!
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
While the plan has merit, I think you'd make a lot more progress doing them twice a week Hunter.
Well I can pull sumo again on squat day if you think I'd benifit. What would you suggest for sets and reps, and I'm assuming it would be a "lighter day". I'm sure all my lifts would improve doing them twice a week but my head can only handle so much punishment. I want to improve all my lifts not just focus on deads although they probably need the most work form wise.

!!!MY HEAD HURTS!!!
My Training Log
Old 01-16-2013, 10:10 AM   #24
Paradox
Max Brawn
Points: 4,404, Level: 42 Points: 4,404, Level: 42 Points: 4,404, Level: 42

Training Exp: July 2011 (competition)
Training Type: Sheiko
Paradox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beast

My vote is for lots and lots of triples at like 50%. Very light, don't fatigue yourself with stupid amounts of reps, and you still get form work.
Paradox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:11 AM   #25
Fazc
Max Brawn

Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterace View Post
Well I can pull sumo again on squat day if you think I'd benifit. What would you suggest for sets and reps, and I'm assuming it would be a "lighter day". I'm sure all my lifts would improve doing them twice a week but my head can only handle so much punishment. I want to improve all my lifts not just focus on deads although they probably need the most work form wise.
Well if it was me, I'd do everything at least three times a week. Certainly Squat and Bench is possible, Deadlift might need you to vary it with Deadlifts and SLDL. A progression to twice a week for now is just fine.

For the time being you just need to move away from a focus on progression in weight, and move toward a focus on progression in form. It doesn't always have to be about doing things with more weight, it can just be about doing them better.

So assuming you're not killing yourself every time you get in the gym, you'd be able to lift everything two times a week at a slightly lower intensity, which would probably be easier on your head injury as well. With the added bonus that you can actually concentrate on each rep properly because it's not a life or death fight against trying to lift it!
Old 01-16-2013, 10:13 AM   #26
Fazc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
My vote is for lots and lots of triples at like 50%. Very light, don't fatigue yourself with stupid amounts of reps, and you still get form work.
I wouldn't agree with form work done with such a low percentage. There's only so much that 50% weights can tell you, or can reinforce about lifting technique.

A 50% lift generally looks very different from a 90% effort. So drilling that form isn't always helpful. I'm thinking 70-80% range with the occasional 90% day.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:34 AM   #27
Hunterace
I'm quitting next week!
Max Brawn

So maybe something like this...?
Military Press... Mike96 program
Pull ups... 3 sets as many as possible, weighted or bodyweight
Squats... 70% 5 sets x 3
Sumo Deads...CAT program
Power Shrugs... 3sets x 10
Conventional Deads... 70% 10 sets x 1
Bench... Mike96 program
Close Grip Bench Press... 3 sets x 10
Barbell Rows... 3 sets x 10
Squats... CAT program
Sumos... 70% 10 sets x 1
Leg Press and Laying Leg Curls if head allows probably 2 sets each x 10

!!!MY HEAD HURTS!!!
My Training Log
Old 01-16-2013, 10:39 AM   #28
Paradox
Max Brawn
Points: 4,404, Level: 42 Points: 4,404, Level: 42 Points: 4,404, Level: 42

Training Exp: July 2011 (competition)
Training Type: Sheiko
Paradox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
I wouldn't agree with form work done with such a low percentage. There's only so much that 50% weights can tell you, or can reinforce about lifting technique.

A 50% lift generally looks very different from a 90% effort. So drilling that form isn't always helpful. I'm thinking 70-80% range with the occasional 90% day.
I think a 70-80% day as his second day is certainly a good idea...when he gets a little more experience. I definitely agree that a 50% lift looks FAR different than a 90% lift, but in doing the CAT program he'll eventually work up to heavier percents, so he'll get technique work at high percents there. The lower day is more for just drilling cues into your mind.

If he can handle his second day being 70% then I definitely think it's a good idea.
Paradox is online now   Reply With Quote