Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:25 AM   #21
Jay36
New Brawn
Points: 313, Level: 6 Points: 313, Level: 6 Points: 313, Level: 6
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Jay36 has made some quality postsJay36 has made some quality postsJay36 has made some quality postsJay36 has made some quality postsJay36 has made some quality postsJay36 has made some quality postsJay36 has made some quality posts

Thanks for all the great advice. Going to start up on some shoulder mobility exercises and give back squats another try and take my time with it.
Jay36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2013, 04:43 PM   #22
Trevor Ross
Max Brawn
Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Food
Trevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributor

Screw front squats!! Leave them for the Olympic Lifters! Do high bar full squats instead along with med/low bar squats. That's my personal opinion because I did them for five years along with regular squats, and my gains were better with frequent back squatting.
Trevor Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #23
1morerep
Max Brawn
Points: 5,041, Level: 45 Points: 5,041, Level: 45 Points: 5,041, Level: 45

1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast

Front squats may not be for everybody. I do them and so far they do work for me. But like everything else, specific exercise results may vary due to physical limitations, body types, purpose, etc...
1morerep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #24
Jay36
New Brawn
Points: 313, Level: 6 Points: 313, Level: 6 Points: 313, Level: 6

Jay36 has made some quality postsJay36 has made some quality postsJay36 has made some quality postsJay36 has made some quality postsJay36 has made some quality postsJay36 has made some quality postsJay36 has made some quality posts

Here's an update. Started doing regular squats three weeks ago now. The more I do them, the more comfortable the bar feels on my traps. I'm kina cheating for now because I'm using the foam thing. As I get more used to it, I'll remove it

Thanks for all your advice.
Jay36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #25
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Take the pad off with lighter weights, and keep it off as much as humanly possible. Trust me, the more you do it the more confortable you'll be, and the quicker you'll be able to find a good place to keep the bar on your back.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:48 PM   #26
powercop
powercop
Points: 84, Level: 1 Points: 84, Level: 1 Points: 84, Level: 1

Training Exp: 32
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Floor Press
Fav Supp: Protein
powercop is off to a bad start

Work on shoulder flexibility the bar should not sit on your traps. If you look in a mirror and lift your arms as if you were going to squat you should observe where your traps and shoulders meet there is a pocket (if not raise your elbows slightly backwards) this is where the bar should sit. It will be more comfortable and it will also put the weight in a better position so you won't feel like the weight is pushing you forward. As to the difference between front squats and back squats, front squats put the tension on the quads and back squats will put the tension more on the whole posterior chain ( quads, hamstrings and lower back). I hope this helps.
powercop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:05 AM   #27
fenrisulfr
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Chicken breast
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercop View Post
Work on shoulder flexibility the bar should not sit on your traps. If you look in a mirror and lift your arms as if you were going to squat you should observe where your traps and shoulders meet there is a pocket (if not raise your elbows slightly backwards) this is where the bar should sit. It will be more comfortable and it will also put the weight in a better position so you won't feel like the weight is pushing you forward. As to the difference between front squats and back squats, front squats put the tension on the quads and back squats will put the tension more on the whole posterior chain ( quads, hamstrings and lower back). I hope this helps.
This.
fenrisulfr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #28
sleepingdog
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,461, Level: 36 Points: 3,461, Level: 36 Points: 3,461, Level: 36

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Starting Strength
Fav Exercise: Heavy bar work
Fav Supp: Steak
sleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributor

Your upper back should be tight when you're squatting. Shoulders back with shoulder blades together will create a platform on the rear delts. I totally concur about making the back squat work for you. Doing front squats is great. Hack squats are cool if you can pull them off with enough weight. And zercher squats... Do this with 400lbs, without setting the bar down turn your head and wink at the cardio bunnies gawking at you, listen for the squishing sound of wet underwear. All this is fine, but the back squat is the foundation of a lot of routines with proven records. It works. You just need to practice it.

Post the vid of your squat with a moderate (to you) weight on the bar so the guys here can see. There's probably centuries of combined experience on this forum just waiting for the right question.

Personal tips that I've learned along my still short journey:

Leave your ego at the door.
Prepare. Showing up dehydrated, hungry, and tired will guarantee failure.
Be ready to fight for that grinder of a PR.
Listen and learn. Absorb everything you can, and assimilate that knowledge.

Top Gym lifts:
Squat: 415lbs
Deads: 440lbs
Bench: 315lbs
sleepingdog is offline   Reply With Quote