Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:41 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Question for Strongman Competitors

Strongman competitors...I've never trained for your discipline. In powerlifting, we focus on form. In Strongman, it's all about moving weight.

Do you tend to train with strict form in the gym, are are there periods where it's all about moving weight, no matter the cost?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2009, 05:27 PM   #2
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Typically it depends, since I do both, powerlifting and strongman, I keep my form good enough for a meet, but I won't miss a 3rd rep on a deadlift because I don't want to hitch.

In strongman you have to practice a good enough form, that you 1. Don't get injured,2.Feel comfortable,3. Get that weight moving and fast and 4. of course to SMASH Fing WEIGHTS, and lift as much as possible.

Some of the best strongmen have the best technique, but you still need to have brute force and pain tolerance to tough it out. Typically as far as gym workouts go, its all an assistance for strongman movements, I use a blend of powerlifting and Olympic movements as my form of assistance work, and from time to time, some body building methods of pump training, to send blood to my muscles, help rehab them and build connective tissue.

That being said it depends on the strongman, if that specific competitor lacks back endurance lets say, they are not going to do strict dumbbell rows, they will be doing kroc rows * high rep,momentum rows* to work on that weakness, but they will be smart enough about it no to pull something. Also since strongman is always changing as far as which events you see, and what not, you usually have to mix it up.
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 06:26 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Thanks for the reply. One of the reason I was curious is because I've been slowly moving from strict back rows with perfect form to explosive rows with good, safe form...but using momentum.

My back gets much more sore from the new approach. I don't do anything crazy, like use much more weigh then I can handle. I'm just exploding with the back instead of "mid muscle" contracting...bodybuilding style.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:39 PM   #4
CookAndrewB
New Brawn

CookAndrewB is new to the forumCookAndrewB is new to the forum

I think for me it isn't a departure from form, but rather a difference in form. I do almost all of my training in a manner that allows me to bring as much momentum to bear on a lift as possible.

So a row is no longer strictly determined by back strength, as some small amount of hip drive will be incorporated, same with overhead pressing, these are less shoulder exercises and more leg/hip speed determined.

I view this as a matter of efficiency in moving weight, and the most efficient way to move weight is not to stay strict. You have to bring hip and leg power to every lift as much as you can.
CookAndrewB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:51 PM   #5
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn

Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookAndrewB View Post

You have to bring hip and leg power to every lift as much as you can.
This is very true, in strongman half the time what helps your lock out, no matter what kind of lift it is, is simply strong hips and a strong posterior chain.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:10 PM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookAndrewB View Post
I think for me it isn't a departure from form, but rather a difference in form. I do almost all of my training in a manner that allows me to bring as much momentum to bear on a lift as possible.

So a row is no longer strictly determined by back strength, as some small amount of hip drive will be incorporated, same with overhead pressing, these are less shoulder exercises and more leg/hip speed determined.

I view this as a matter of efficiency in moving weight, and the most efficient way to move weight is not to stay strict. You have to bring hip and leg power to every lift as much as you can.
Good post CAB.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:51 PM   #7
CookAndrewB
New Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodybygamma View Post
This is very true, in strongman half the time what helps your lock out, no matter what kind of lift it is, is simply strong hips and a strong posterior chain.
Posterior chain is used dynamically in a good majority of lifts. Log cleans, stone loads, tire flips, overhead throws... It is important to develop a strong hip "pop" and good body awareness. In fact, when we have new guys (and gals) join our group, one of the first things we do is get them aware of their hip drive. That one fix alone usually gets a person a huge jump in weight they can handle, and a huge jump in confidence that they aren't a midget among men, but an equal training partner.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:09 PM   #8
Jesse Polanco
Brawn
Points: 518, Level: 10 Points: 518, Level: 10 Points: 518, Level: 10
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Jesse Polanco has made some good postsJesse Polanco has made some good postsJesse Polanco has made some good postsJesse Polanco has made some good postsJesse Polanco has made some good postsJesse Polanco has made some good postsJesse Polanco has made some good postsJesse Polanco has made some good postsJesse Polanco has made some good postsJesse Polanco has made some good posts

alsokeep in mind that you have to round your back on many strongman events in order to get even light weights up (stones, log clean, loading events) so what may look like bad form is actually good form.

MUST GET STRONGER

Last edited by Jesse Polanco; 11-23-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Jesse Polanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:22 PM   #9
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Polanco View Post
alsokeep in mind that you have to round your back on many strongman events in order to get even light weights up (stones, log clean, loading events) so what may look like bad form is actually good form.
Valid point Jesse, but the rounded back is just a misconception and an illusion to smaller weaker people unsure what massive traps look like poping out the back! LOL
Old 11-24-2009, 02:35 PM   #10
CookAndrewB
New Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Polanco View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodybygamma View Post
Valid point Jesse, but the rounded back is just a misconception and an illusion to smaller weaker people unsure what massive traps look like poping out the back! LOL
Saw you commented on Brad's "remix" of Rick's 440 stone load. Do you know the Team Boss guys?

That being said, stone loading IS a rounded back lift. Not an illusion. Watch Brad's back when he does a stone run.