Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Question for Strongman Competitors (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1199)

BendtheBar 11-13-2009 08:41 AM

Question for Strongman Competitors

Strongman competitors...I've never trained for your discipline. In powerlifting, we focus on form. In Strongman, it's all about moving weight.

Do you tend to train with strict form in the gym, are are there periods where it's all about moving weight, no matter the cost?

Bodybygamma 11-13-2009 05:27 PM

Typically it depends, since I do both, powerlifting and strongman, I keep my form good enough for a meet, but I won't miss a 3rd rep on a deadlift because I don't want to hitch.

In strongman you have to practice a good enough form, that you 1. Don't get injured,2.Feel comfortable,3. Get that weight moving and fast and 4. of course to SMASH Fing WEIGHTS, and lift as much as possible.

Some of the best strongmen have the best technique, but you still need to have brute force and pain tolerance to tough it out. Typically as far as gym workouts go, its all an assistance for strongman movements, I use a blend of powerlifting and Olympic movements as my form of assistance work, and from time to time, some body building methods of pump training, to send blood to my muscles, help rehab them and build connective tissue.

That being said it depends on the strongman, if that specific competitor lacks back endurance lets say, they are not going to do strict dumbbell rows, they will be doing kroc rows * high rep,momentum rows* to work on that weakness, but they will be smart enough about it no to pull something. Also since strongman is always changing as far as which events you see, and what not, you usually have to mix it up.

BendtheBar 11-13-2009 06:26 PM

Thanks for the reply. One of the reason I was curious is because I've been slowly moving from strict back rows with perfect form to explosive rows with good, safe form...but using momentum.

My back gets much more sore from the new approach. I don't do anything crazy, like use much more weigh then I can handle. I'm just exploding with the back instead of "mid muscle" contracting...bodybuilding style.

CookAndrewB 11-20-2009 02:39 PM

I think for me it isn't a departure from form, but rather a difference in form. I do almost all of my training in a manner that allows me to bring as much momentum to bear on a lift as possible.

So a row is no longer strictly determined by back strength, as some small amount of hip drive will be incorporated, same with overhead pressing, these are less shoulder exercises and more leg/hip speed determined.

I view this as a matter of efficiency in moving weight, and the most efficient way to move weight is not to stay strict. You have to bring hip and leg power to every lift as much as you can.

Bodybygamma 11-20-2009 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CookAndrewB (Post 11270)

You have to bring hip and leg power to every lift as much as you can.

This is very true, in strongman half the time what helps your lock out, no matter what kind of lift it is, is simply strong hips and a strong posterior chain.

BendtheBar 11-20-2009 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CookAndrewB (Post 11270)
I think for me it isn't a departure from form, but rather a difference in form. I do almost all of my training in a manner that allows me to bring as much momentum to bear on a lift as possible.

So a row is no longer strictly determined by back strength, as some small amount of hip drive will be incorporated, same with overhead pressing, these are less shoulder exercises and more leg/hip speed determined.

I view this as a matter of efficiency in moving weight, and the most efficient way to move weight is not to stay strict. You have to bring hip and leg power to every lift as much as you can.

Good post CAB.

:thrasher::thrasher:

CookAndrewB 11-23-2009 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bodybygamma (Post 11314)
This is very true, in strongman half the time what helps your lock out, no matter what kind of lift it is, is simply strong hips and a strong posterior chain.

Posterior chain is used dynamically in a good majority of lifts. Log cleans, stone loads, tire flips, overhead throws... It is important to develop a strong hip "pop" and good body awareness. In fact, when we have new guys (and gals) join our group, one of the first things we do is get them aware of their hip drive. That one fix alone usually gets a person a huge jump in weight they can handle, and a huge jump in confidence that they aren't a midget among men, but an equal training partner.

Jesse Polanco 11-23-2009 06:09 PM

alsokeep in mind that you have to round your back on many strongman events in order to get even light weights up (stones, log clean, loading events) so what may look like bad form is actually good form.

Bodybygamma 11-23-2009 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse Polanco (Post 11730)
alsokeep in mind that you have to round your back on many strongman events in order to get even light weights up (stones, log clean, loading events) so what may look like bad form is actually good form.

Valid point Jesse, but the rounded back is just a misconception and an illusion to smaller weaker people unsure what massive traps look like poping out the back! LOL

CookAndrewB 11-24-2009 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse Polanco (Post 11730)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bodybygamma (Post 11760)
Valid point Jesse, but the rounded back is just a misconception and an illusion to smaller weaker people unsure what massive traps look like poping out the back! LOL

Saw you commented on Brad's "remix" of Rick's 440 stone load. Do you know the Team Boss guys?

That being said, stone loading IS a rounded back lift. Not an illusion. Watch Brad's back when he does a stone run.