Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:19 PM   #11
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

I always disagree with the term "rounded back", just because his back isn't overly upright doesn't make it rounded, if anything its sturdy and flat like it should be. To me this is a rounded back :

Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2009, 06:05 PM   #12
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodybygamma View Post

That last image just took away all my current sexual drive. I believe all testosterone was flushed from my blood stream. I need to go look at breasts.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:20 AM   #13
CookAndrewB
New Brawn

CookAndrewB is new to the forumCookAndrewB is new to the forum

Well, we aren't talking about a pathology here, we are talking about natural ROM and function of the spine. We talk a lot about "not letting your back round" during a deadlift, and I agree, to a certain extent. There has to be spinal extention and flexion in a deadlift, what we don't want is for this movement to take place outside of willed muscular contraction.

If you lift and your back rounds out because you do not have the stability to hold a weight, that is bad. If you apply a large amount of force (jerking the bar off the ground, or possibly during a hitch) while the spinal erectors are not engaged (slack muscle trying to suddenly "catch" and stabilize a weight), that is bad. But a stabilized rounded back isn't bad, in and of itself. Anyone that has ever stone lifted can attest to the need to gain ROM by allowing curvature in the lumbar spine, unless you have some serious ape arms You simply can't lift a large ball from between your legs by squatting over it with a "flat back."

CookAndrewB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:14 PM   #14
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn

Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

I still say giant traps LOL
Old 12-02-2009, 01:27 AM   #15
Jesse Polanco
Brawn
Points: 518, Level: 10 Points: 518, Level: 10 Points: 518, Level: 10
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Jesse Polanco has made some good postsJesse Polanco has made some good postsJesse Polanco has made some good postsJesse Polanco has made some good postsJesse Polanco has made some good postsJesse Polanco has made some good postsJesse Polanco has made some good postsJesse Polanco has made some good postsJesse Polanco has made some good postsJesse Polanco has made some good posts

Quote:
I still say giant traps LOL
my dude my traps have gotten bigger although not noticeble when im in a shirt i blame the farmers walks

MUST GET STRONGER
Jesse Polanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:49 AM   #16
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Polanco View Post
my dude my traps have gotten bigger although not noticeble when im in a shirt i blame the farmers walks
I would imagine that's the reason.

I see some guys doing the "slow, controlled" bodybuilding thing with traps. That really never did squat for me. The traps seem to thrive of intense, heavy weight. It almost seems you'd be better off doing static holds with 180's then doing shrugs with 80's....

Old 12-02-2009, 01:58 PM   #17
Jesse Polanco
Brawn
Points: 518, Level: 10 Points: 518, Level: 10 Points: 518, Level: 10
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Jesse Polanco has made some good postsJesse Polanco has made some good postsJesse Polanco has made some good postsJesse Polanco has made some good postsJesse Polanco has made some good postsJesse Polanco has made some good postsJesse Polanco has made some good postsJesse Polanco has made some good postsJesse Polanco has made some good postsJesse Polanco has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I would imagine that's the reason.

I see some guys doing the "slow, controlled" bodybuilding thing with traps. That really never did squat for me. The traps seem to thrive of intense, heavy weight. It almost seems you'd be better off doing static holds with 180's then doing shrugs with 80's....
static hold or walks with 270 each arm

you absolutely right powerclean and deadlifts did more for my traps then a shrug with 315 could have ever done

MUST GET STRONGER
Jesse Polanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 04:02 PM   #18
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Polanco View Post
static hold or walks with 270 each arm

you absolutely right powerclean and deadlifts did more for my traps then a shrug with 315 could have ever done
I like power shrugs. But slow, controlled shrugs with heavy weight seem to be more of a test of grip strength for me.

And you're right, a farmer's walk is probably the king.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:28 PM   #19
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn

18inch rack pulls build massive traps, and for some reason behind the neck presses used to work pretty well.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:53 PM   #20
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
18inch rack pulls build massive traps, and for some reason behind the neck presses used to work pretty well.
I can really feel traps on behind the neck presses.