Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #11
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Silverback View Post
JB, I try to squat atleast twice a week (back squat and a variation) generally my recovery is pretty good and that really just consists of BCAAs, green alcohol/epsom salt baths and some light cardio. I also find that the nutritionist in me likes to have Vitamin C pretty regularly, so that can really help out with recovery as well ;-)
John McCallum was also an advocate of Vitamin C for recovery. It rhymes too. Vitamin C for recovery.

While I don't move near the weight of some of you, I have found that I do worse when I don't squat multiple times a week. I do vary the variations, but that is more due to lower back issues than leg recovery. Each of us are different, find what works best for your body and stick with it.

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2012, 07:23 AM   #12
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Ok so, I think the guys have already covered conditioning and supplementation pretty well. What I want to explore further is mobility and form.

Let's start from a fairly extreme premise that; if we are able to sit into a full body-weight squat every day for a month without a problem then, as long as we give ourselves time to build up work capacity, we would be able to add weight to that.

Obviously at some point you will run into recovery problems and life get's in the way. However I'm pointing that out to say that as long as you're not hurting yourself it's just a matter of adaption.

So onto the first problem; how do we not hurt ourselves?

Mobility/Flexibility

Involved in the squat are around 4 big joints and/or points of flexion. Ankles, Knees, Hips, Upper back. Each of these can produce mobility and flexibility problems. Consider also that each of these areas can interact with the other to produce a seemingly endless supply of additional problems.

So how to start? Well instead of the usual advice of looking at your own squat and trying to fix it, what I've found helpful is to look at someone else who's built like you and squats like you want to squat and then try and get into those positions. For me it's this guy seen here squatting a fairly casual 800lbs+ weighing 180lbs:

He has the relatively long femurs, but manages to get his knees both out and forward enough to slot into the hole. This allows him to keep his torso upright which takes advantage of the suit and is just generally a nicer style.

Ankles

Looking at his ankles, he has enough flexibility and stability to allow movement of the shins out and away from his ankles. I think this is a key area, if flexibility isn't there then it will actually have a knock on effect by not allowing the hips to come forward and result in forward lean of the torso.

Knees

If you're going to depth there has to be enough strength in the quads to support the knees tracking past vertical. This goes out of the window if you have short femurs, a short femur'd lifter can basically just take the piss with their form and still hit parallel. For the majority of us though forward knee travel is a must.

If this isn't allowed to happen then the hips must move back in order to compensate, again resulting in forward lean of the torso assuming proper depth.

Hips/lower back

Sufficient flexibility is required here to allow for the knees to be pushed out enough and for the lower back not to round. This isn't the most stubborn area, and some quick, deep front squats or jump squats can increase mobility here quickly.

Upper back

Another vital area. Strength in the thoracic region will allow a lifter to keep his chest up. Assuming poor thoracic flexibility and strength, all the rest of the flexibility/mobility work will be made useless as the chest will still slump downward. Upper back flexibility and strength is essential to keeping a relatively upright squat.

Even all that is just touching the surface of good squat form. As I said at the beginning find someone who is built like you, use that as a teaching tool for where your body should be and work on the 4 specific areas to allow you to hit those positions.

There are plenty of websites for specific stretching but without knowing what you're going to stretch they are useless.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:19 AM   #13
RobMoriRB
Max Brawn
Points: 10,240, Level: 67 Points: 10,240, Level: 67 Points: 10,240, Level: 67
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Mutant Mass
RobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master member

I use a hot tub, so maybe a hot bath then jump in a cold shower for the legs
Dead Lift: 501

GYM PR
Squat: 405
Bench: 285
Dead Lift: 475

Block Program:http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums...ad.php?t=17576
BLOG:http://theanimalmethod.wordpress.com/
RobMoriRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:21 PM   #14
austin.j.taylor
Fat, Pale, Weak
Max Brawn
Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Beer
austin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machine

I have trieed just about anything I can to recover from squatting. The best thing I have ever done for recovery is more squatting. I feel like death walking into the gym and think there isnt any way I will be able to get through this squat workout. I then warm up, do my mobility work, get a quick jog to get blood flowing. Once I start squatting I feel tons better. Every set makes me feel better, its crazy. Then again, i dont squat at the same level you do Mr. Byrd.
Deadlift: 473
Push Press: 235X3
Clean and Strict Press: 175X3
12 inch Log Press: 250
Yoke: 650X18.5'
Atlas Stone: 300 over 48" bar
Hummer Tire Dead: 500X3
18" Deadlift: 550
Many more PR's to come
Youtube user name: Coachlefty
austin.j.taylor is offline   Reply With Quote