Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:32 PM   #1
Davis
Max Brawn
Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 1 day
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: More deadlifts
Davis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beast
Default Heavy, but not heavy?

As I try to get my strength levels back, I seem to be noticing something. Weights that are much lower(say maybe 60% of my old working sets or even best lifts) might be hard, but they don't necessarily feel heavy. Example: 275 3x3 on the deadlift Thursday night. I've done 390 3x3 a few times, and I think I may have even done this with 405, but I'm not sure...I think I tried and failed. So I sort of struggled with the 275, but it didn't actually feel heavy. (And the hardest part was my grip, DOH)

Does this make sense? Is this normal?
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2012, 12:38 PM   #2
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
So I sort of struggled with the 275
So add some weight on?
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:45 PM   #3
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Was form a bit rusty? Maybe that is why they felt hard but not too heavy. Grip will come along with the progression. Be careful tho with the grip slipping as it may cause an injury. A viable option is to do sets with reps with Versagripps.
Bench: 286 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1262 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 295 lbs
Deadlift: 520 lbs
Total: 1310 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:50 PM   #4
Davis
Max Brawn
Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 1 day
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: More deadlifts
Davis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
So add some weight on?
I was going to do that next time I went in to deadlift...which is today. Although, yes, good suggestion.

Squatter, a few things mobility related has hurt it some, I know that. It'll come back soon. I'm curious as to how and where the grip slipping can cause injury. I've not heard of it. Other than maybe dropping the bar somewhere it doesn't need to be. Injury in the hands or arm possible?
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:53 PM   #5
Fazc
Max Brawn

Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

I came back from no-training for a year in 2006. I tried to do a little too much and ripped my hamstring and took 3-4 years to recover from that. So I understand the desire to rebuild slowly. I didn't mean to put your efforts down.

Ultimately I don't think it's healthy to concentrate on the details especially as you come back. So my go-to response to your question would be, does it really matter? Just focus on small, gradual weight increases. Stick to high reps and lift often but keep some in the tank. You'll be fine, just as long as you avoid doing anything crazy while coming back from inactivity.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
I came back from no-training for a year in 2006. I tried to do a little too much and ripped my hamstring and took 3-4 years to recover from that. So I understand the desire to rebuild slowly. I didn't mean to put your efforts down.

Ultimately I don't think it's healthy to concentrate on the details especially as you come back. So my go-to response to your question would be, does it really matter? Just focus on small, gradual weight increases. Stick to high reps and lift often but keep some in the tank. You'll be fine, just as long as you avoid doing anything crazy while coming back from inactivity.
Yep! You may have to basically consider yourself a "new" beginner whether you like it or not, especially if the body is deconditioned either in the lifting or cardio area all dependant on how long it has been sice you lifted last. Safer than sorry, is the best bet, and it never takes long to rebuild which is great.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:05 PM   #7
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:

Yep! You may have to basically consider yourself a "new" beginner whether you like it or not, especially if the body is deconditioned either in the lifting or cardio area all dependant on how long it has been since you lifted last. Safer than sorry, is the best bet, and it never takes long to rebuild which is great.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:15 PM   #8
Fazc
Max Brawn

Yeah consider yourself a beginner again, and to that end I hope you're lifting little and often as opposed to a lot once a week. You need to build up your conditioning and general muscle mass before you plough into anything too severe.

Full body three times a week would be ideal.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:48 PM   #9
I WILL
Max Brawn
Points: 5,091, Level: 45 Points: 5,091, Level: 45 Points: 5,091, Level: 45
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 2-4 years 2 serious
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Romanian Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
I WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master member
Talking

Quote:

agreed take your time and u will be amazed @ your comeback

MAB Sponsored Athlete

My Website: Nutrition Beast
I WILL is offline   Reply With Quote