Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   More squats? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11934)

Hunterace 12-16-2012 04:31 PM

More squats?

I'm doing 5/3/1. I do 2 exercises after the main lift most days. I want to work on building my squat. This is what I plan on doing...
Military Press 5/3/1
Dips ...1 set weighted as many as possible 2 sets bodyweight as many as possible
Pull Ups ...1 set weighted as many as possible 2 sets bodyweight as many as possible
Deadlift 5/3/1
Power Shrugs ...3 sets x 10
Squats ...3 sets at 50% of 5/3/1 max x 15
Bench Press 5/3/1
Close Grip Bench Press ...3 sets x 10
Barbell Rows ...3 sets x 10
Squats 5/3/1
Leg Press ...3 sets x 10
Leg Curls ...3 sets x 10
Does anyone think doing the 3 sets of Squats at 50% on deadlift day will have a negative effect on improving my Squats?

Squatter 12-16-2012 06:18 PM

No. I think squatting 2X per week is ideal. You could play a bit with that 50% after a cycle or 2 if you feel it is to light.

I like the plan Jay. The only change I would suggest is to do pull-ups before dips on Military Press day.

I made my best gains on squats when I did them 2X per week.

Off Road 12-16-2012 09:47 PM

It's similar to Wendler's Boring But Big Challenge. I'd try it and see how it works for you. My only problem is the 3 sets of high reps and how that's going to effect your squat goal. If it's volume that you want I'd be more likely to stick with moderate reps.

Hunterace 12-16-2012 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squatter (Post 302160)
No. I think squatting 2X per week is ideal. You could play a bit with that 50% after a cycle or 2 if you feel it is to light.

I like the plan Jay. The only change I would suggest is to do pull-ups before dips on Military Press day.

I made my best gains on squats when I did them 2X per week.

Thanks Jim! The routine has dips before chin/pull ups. I've been doing it that way since I started. I skip dips sometimes but either way it seems to work ok for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Off Road (Post 302176)
It's similar to Wendler's Boring But Big Challenge. I'd try it and see how it works for you. My only problem is the 3 sets of high reps and how that's going to effect your squat goal. If it's volume that you want I'd be more likely to stick with moderate reps.

I have no "real" goal with the squats on Deadlift day. I just haven't been making much progress in upping the weight with my squats. Maybe because I've been going up in everything else the squats are suffering some. I just figured if I did more squats, on a different day, I could maybe improve my squat numbers. I thought lighter weight, 50%, and whatever reps, thought 15 would be good, that I could benifit. The only time I've squatted more than once a week was on starting strength, but I didn't like 3 times a week.
That's why I posted his question. I'm trying to improve my squats some ;)
Thanks!

Off Road 12-16-2012 10:34 PM

My only thought is that if you're going to trust Wendler on his progression scheme, you might as well trust him on his assistance recommendations too. He's a big fan of five sets of ten reps.

Hunterace 12-16-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Off Road (Post 302180)
My only thought is that if you're going to trust Wendler on his progression scheme, you might as well trust him on his assistance recommendations too. He's a big fan of five sets of ten reps.

Your completely right. But do to my chronic headaches, I normally only do the main exercise and then 6 sets for two exercises. Lots of days I don't even do 2 assistance exercises, or the 6 sets. Since I started 5/3/1, I've only done 3 sets of 10 for 2 exercises on assistance work. Most of the time I get that accomplished. I doubt I could do 10 sets for 2 assistance exercises, I'm happy to get 6 ;)
Thanks for your help Off Road!

Off Road 12-16-2012 10:55 PM

Happy to help. I like discussing the assistance stuff anyways, there are so many different ways to go about it. It's really up to personal preference and what works for you individually. Some other considerations could be 3 sets of 10 reps at deload percentages as in his full-body routine, or three sets of 10 reps at 65%. So many different ways to do it.

J_Byrd 12-17-2012 08:53 AM

I always suggest using a lighter squat as an auxiliary movement if you can. I would also suggest trying to get in some more quad work.

Hunterace 12-17-2012 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Byrd (Post 302238)
I always suggest using a lighter squat as an auxiliary movement if you can. I would also suggest trying to get in some more quad work.

I'd say about 1/3 of the time I do leg extensions on 5/3/1 Squat day. I don't write it in because that way I feel like I did extra work when I do them, and I don't feel like I skipped them when I don't :)

markievicz 12-17-2012 09:20 AM

Just thinking out loud here so take this with a pinch of salt

Lets assume you want to get that 1RM up on squats

Would it make more sense to do the big 5/3/1 day for squats earlier in the week and then do the rep work for them later in the week?
Easy solution I see here is just swap the deadlift and squat day ..