Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Thoughts on Louie Simmons/Westside (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11872)

Mr.Silverback 12-07-2012 01:41 PM

Thoughts on Louie Simmons/Westside

I just saw where one federation was bashing him because he admittedly uses PEDS, its an old argument.What are your personal thoughts on Westside in general? Granted they use PEDs or whatever, I don't think you should bash this guy because a noob is asking about where to start in powerlifting.

J_Byrd 12-07-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Silverback (Post 299141)
I just saw where one federation was bashing him because he admittedly uses PEDS, its an old argument.What are your personal thoughts on Westside in general? Granted they use PEDs or whatever, I don't think you should bash this guy because a noob is asking about where to start in powerlifting.

I dont train using the WS method. I have lifted at meets with a few of the WS guys and Louie. They have been easy to talk to and to get along with. I have no issue with using PED as long as you dont lift in drug tested feds. Not sure what there is really to bash as those guys have done a lot for the sport of powerlifting. Louie is a big sponsor of the biggest money pro ams out right now.

Now I guess people could jump all into the gear debate and bash them there, but that is a whole different story.

BendtheBar 12-07-2012 01:53 PM

With how few feds really drug test, it's a silly argument.

Sure a lot of them claim to test, but how many either don't collect or if they do, toss the tests and don't process them to save money. I've spoken to several top federation heads about these issues and they happen.

The feds that claim to test and but have inflated numbers are worse than those that just don't try to position themselves as natural at all.

I can probably guess which federation this was.

Bashing is just stupid. This sport needs more unity, not less. Respect the iron and the folks who move it, or take up knitting.

MikeM 12-07-2012 02:32 PM

I am conflicted on this. I don't believe anyone should be bashing anyone at any time. Certainly not anyone who is so obviously committed and successful in the sport. Bashing is counter productive and makes the situation worse. Nobody wins when the spitting at each other takes over honest conversation.

That said, I wish their was some sort of organization to powerlifting so that it follows a more predictable pattern from novice on up to whatever level. Sort of like tiers of development.

You're a raw lifter until 1000-1300 depending on your size, then go for gear and drugs and compete against similar minded people.

I think less people would jump into gear and drugs early if they felt they were competing against a similar level of competition.

I don't get why someone using drugs would want to compare themselves to someone who is not. In pro sports, sure I get that. Millions of dollars are on the line. But drugs to win a local meet and some tiny trophy? I do not get that.

Violent Volume 12-07-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeM (Post 299157)
You're a raw lifter until 1000-1300 depending on your size, then go for gear and drugs and compete against similar minded people.

As a raw lifter once you get above 1300 you either have to travel to nationals or compete against gear or gear users to have any form of competition. It can be frustrating.

5kgLifter 12-07-2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeM (Post 299157)

But drugs to win a local meet and some tiny trophy? I do not get that.

Because some people just need to be the winner at any cost and can't stand having to settle for second place.

Off Road 12-07-2012 03:56 PM

The only reason "they" bash Westside and Louis is because he's successful. Everybody wants to be better than the next guy. I don't use Westside, but I totally respect the man for what he's done to help others reach their goals.

On the flip side, there seems to be a trend going on that if you disagree with Westside or Louis, then you are somehow "bashing" him. I think it's fine to disagree with people's ideas and still respect them.

Mr.Silverback 12-07-2012 04:29 PM

Agreed, i think bashing is stupid and childish. Personally I could careless if a person users drugs or not because at the end of the day you still have to put in work.

Because the guy was asking about being new to powerlifting and then someone suggested that he look at some Westside videos, the Fed head guy decided that it was a chance to take a shot at Louie and Westside. Labeling them "steroid junkies"....Smh

gaspers04 12-07-2012 04:58 PM

No bashing here, I love Louie. Big Hugz ;)

miked96 12-07-2012 05:17 PM

I think this kind of stuff has always gone on. To put it into persepective, I was talking to an international judge that used to judge in the 70s and 80s. All he could talk to me about was how Larry Pacifico always got gifts and never squatted to the proper depth. Its always going to be there so I would just ignore it.