Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:10 PM   #1
Zipz
New Brawn
Points: 1,648, Level: 23 Points: 1,648, Level: 23 Points: 1,648, Level: 23
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Zipz is off to a bad start
Default Starting strength or Wendlers 531?

My friend has been at the gym 6 months and wants a serious program,What one is better?
Old 12-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Starting Strength for the next year. . .and then 5/3/1 for the next three years.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:20 PM   #3
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipz View Post
My friend has been at the gym 6 months and wants a serious program,What one is better?
I look at it like this, As an underdeveloped novice doing Starting Strength, it is possible to add 10lbs a workout to your squat and deadlift, and 5lbs a workout to your bench and and OHP.
Compare this to 5/3/1, where you are "only" (eventually this "only" is a pretty damn good increase but I digress) increasing your squat and deads 10lbs every 4 weeks and your bench and OHP 5lbs every 4 weeks.
Pretty significant difference there between 5/3/1 and starting strength (for the novice lifter)

Having said all that, as the novice lifter develops, the ability to progress on SS will diminish and the ability to recover from the frequency will diminish as well. At this point the lifter has moved from a novice to an advanced novice or intermediate lifter and as a result will benefit from the slow and steady approach of a program like 5/3/1.

So, to summarize, if your friend can make weight increases every workout without getting burnt out use a Rippetoe novice program. If your friend is at the point where it is difficult to progress every session or even every week, then 5/3/1 is probably more suited.
I would guess at only 6 months of training on a less than serious program, a Rippetoe Novice program is probably the way for your friend to go.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is offline   Reply With Quote