Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Changing your squat style (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11851)

SeventySeven 12-05-2012 11:01 AM

Changing your squat style

I am very quad dominate squatter. Recently i have been pushing back and breaking the hips instead of the knees to bring the glutes and hams more into it. I am no where near as strong squatting like this. My question is should i stick with my strong point or work on the weak point?

Hunterace 12-05-2012 11:10 AM

The experts can tell you more than I can, but...
I've heard this from many, but lifting with Steve, I asked a question on feeling certain muscles in squatting. He told me not to think of it like that and dont worry about working a certain muscle. Just squat! Work hard at progressing and getting stronger. If your quads get worked more when you squat, don't change your squat. Use accessory lifts after like leg curls or SLDL to hit your hams more if you want more balance.

PhillyDev 12-05-2012 11:21 AM

The real question is, do you intend on competing? If the answer is no, then, it doesn't really matter. If you say yes, then you have a few things to decide. Raw, or equipped? Single ply, or multi-ply? If you go equipped, then you have to learn to sit back into the gear, regardless of ply. If raw, however is easiest for you to drop your hip crease past the top of your knee, and move the most weight.

Disciple X 12-05-2012 11:35 AM

Funny you should be asking this roght now as i'm going through the exact same thing. For me, i decided it best to work my weaknesses (posterior) to improve the most. I have squatted 415 with a close stance and a lot of speed. Now i'm working wide stance box squats while remaining tight. Last night i had a hard time with 320 for a double. Its working me in a whole new way and its hard to let my ego go, but if i get up to the same weight as i've hit close stance, then i will most definately be a lot stronger all around...

Its all up to you. I have large quads and underdeveloped hammies because of my past squatting. I want to change that, so i am. You need to decide what you want and find the best way to get there...

J_Byrd 12-05-2012 11:43 AM

My advice to you would be the same as you are a competitive powerlifter. Squat the way you can squat the most weight, and focus secondary lifts to bring up the weak points you have targeted. Do some good mornings, some squat stance variations and other things to bring your hams and glutes up to par. Also remember it takes time when you change a stance to hit the numbers you did with the other one. At first it isnt natural, and takes time. No different than changing grips on the benchpress.

Beverly McD 12-05-2012 01:28 PM

The butt and hamstrings are large muscle groups. Make them work for you! Typically, the more muscle you can bring into a movement the better.

Fazc 12-05-2012 01:42 PM

Personally I would stick with it, especially if you have no intention of getting in the equipment.

austin.j.taylor 12-05-2012 04:57 PM

I was the same way and decided to widen the stance out a little and work on my glutes and hamstrings. My strength levels rose very quickly and after only a few short months, my wide stance squat has surpassed my narrower stance set up. I also am able to maintain tightness better and have much less knee travel. The answer to your question is going to be what you want to do. If you are progressing with your current set up, hitting a proper competition depth, and liking what your technique looks like, then stick with it. If not, then it may be time to change.

Bodybygamma 12-05-2012 06:17 PM

Work the weak points - My opinion

The key to being strong, undisputed all around STRONG is having very few weak points.

Just because you can move more weight using a technique doesn't qualify as strong point if it done improperly. Narrow, Medium and Wide stances may differ slightly case by case but overall a Squat is a Squat.

As an example for argument's sake you squat 500lbs narrow but switch to sumo and can't even squat 405lbs. That means you aren't just a quad dominant squatter but your using so much lower back and hips that your calves, glutes and hamstrings are underdeveloped and chances are your other lifts are suffering because of it.

Now a lot of this depends on context, not much information was given so I am just giving general examples not sport's specific advice but widely applicable two cents.

For instance these are my stats on squatting:

Back Squat Narrow - 500
Front Squat Narrow & Cross Grip- 405

Back Squat Medium - 525
Front Squat Medium & Cross Grip- 435

Back Squat Wide - 560
Front Squat Wide & Olympic Grip - 445

As you can see I am still in the same range so just as an example the difference should not exceed 100lbs by bro-science with stance.

Warning to the disclaimer :

Take what I right by a grain of salt: these are all my opinions if you don't like them you don't have to follow them or read them but whenever I take time to right advice if you don't agree that is fine but don't expect me to debate your opinion.

miked96 12-05-2012 07:21 PM

Stick with the closer stance if your stronger at it. Didnt hurt these guys. I wonder if we need to tell them there not using enough hamstring? A weak joke but my point is you can hit big weights with a shoulder width stance also.

This guy is the best one out of all of them!:)