Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:30 AM   #1
AthleteCreator
Trollin'
Uber Brawn
Points: 962, Level: 16 Points: 962, Level: 16 Points: 962, Level: 16
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

AthleteCreator is new to the forumAthleteCreator is new to the forum
Default Help me get a 300 bench in 13 weeks

Alright, my next meet is in 13 weeks. I've plateaued at 275lb. and my all time bench PR is 290...but that was several years ago. (stuff happened between now and then, long story, no one cares)

I talked it over with my buddy and here's what we came up with:

Next 4 weeks, high volume: 4x15 or repeated effort twice a week. Day 1 will be reg bench, Day 2 will be OH press or incline bench. Support work after that.

3 weeks after that: Day 1 will be sets of 5. Do as many sets of increasing weight until bar speed drops significantly; then support work. Day 2 will be 3x5 (speed sets), lats, 3x3 (speed sets), tri's.

2 weeks after that: Same thing but sets of 3 on Day 1.

2 weeks after that: Same thing but heavy singles on day 1.

2 weeks after that: Deload

1 week after that: Competition.

So, I know for a fact, that will be good enough to bust my current plateau, but do you think that'll be enough to get to 300??

There is nothing "smart" about a 3rd attempt deadlift.
AthleteCreator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2009, 08:34 AM   #2
AthleteCreator
Trollin'
Uber Brawn

I will also add that's my basic template for squat too. Since I'm coming back from a quad injury, the first 4 weeks are going to be 10x10, twice a week starting at 50%. Day 1 is back squat, Day 2 is front squat. I will say it now: FUCK ME!

Also, no deadlifting at all during those 4 weeks. I'll hit some glute hams and good mornings as support lifts, but that's it.

I'll pick up deads again starting after those 4 weeks and knock squat down to once a week'ish.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:40 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AthleteCreator View Post

So, I know for a fact, that will be good enough to bust my current plateau, but do you think that'll be enough to get to 300??
It's hard to tell, but as long as your tailoring it to your body, you should be fine.

I would recommend heavy, 4-6 rep tricep work each week. Close grip benches, or something similar. And don't forget heavy overhead pressing with 4-6 reps. While training the bench, also strength the tris and shoulders.

Mileage may vary.

My personal experience is that when my overhead pressing and triceps got crazy strong, my bench rocketed up. As I moved from 185 to 245 for reps on seated overhead presses, my bench press continue to move up using linear progression each week until it hit around 430.

This is just my 2 cents, and not the Gospel

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:59 AM   #4
bwys61
Austin Simply Fit #1
Max Brawn
Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 15+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Caffeine
bwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machine

Start with 5 reps or less and stay there. if you need/want extra low-load volume, do a "flush" set right after your heavy bench sets. If you can do 3 sets of 3 with a heavy negatives right before the flush, you will get strong, fast. start with 101% of your max and increase 1% each week until 4 weeks out, then cut out the negatives. 2 weeks out cut out the flushes

Best Assistive Tri-Exercises
Close-Grip
Overhead Press
Incline Press
JM Presses
Weighted Dips
bwys61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:03 AM   #5
AthleteCreator
Trollin'
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwys61 View Post
Start with 5 reps or less and stay there. if you need/want extra low-load volume, do a "flush" set right after your heavy bench sets.
That's exactly what I've been doing the past 5 weeks. The 4 weeks worth of volume is to change things up.

I'll keep those heavy negatives in mind once I get through the first 4 weeks though. Didn't think of those.

Might also add in some pin press on Day 2. Yes, no?

Old 11-11-2009, 09:29 AM   #6
bwys61
Austin Simply Fit #1
Max Brawn

bwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machine

pin presses are hard, but I feel they are effective. they will humble you. the volume will definitely enhance your GPP, which will help you around weeks 8-13, when you are trying to get multiple sets with heavy weight
Old 11-11-2009, 11:36 AM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Pin presses are probably one of my least favorite bench movements. I don't always feel comfortable with them. You might consider a 2-board press with 3 rep sets instead. You can use heavier weight, and it will help mentally and physically.

If you don't have boards or a decent spotter, you can bench in a rack down to 2 or 3-board depth.

But, with that said, I'd rather see you get in a good volume of lower rep bench presses first and foremost. Whatever you decided to do, get under some heavy weight for low reps.

Also, you have a video of you benching. Maybe we can peek at your form...

Last edited by BendtheBar; 11-11-2009 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:42 AM   #8
AthleteCreator
Trollin'
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleandBrawn View Post
Pin presses are probably one of my least favorite bench movements. I don't always feel comfortable with them. You might consider a 2-board press with 3 rep sets instead. You can use heavier weight, and it will help mentally and physically.

If you don't have boards or a decent spotter, you can bench in a rack down to 2 or 3-board depth.

But, with that said, I'd rather see you get in a good volume of lower rep bench presses first and foremost. Whatever you decided to do, get under some heavy weight for low reps.

Also, you have a video of you benching. Maybe we can peek at your form...

Well, I wanted to incorporate the pin press to develop power off the bottom. Board press is just to hammer the triceps, no?

I haz video. Haven't actually reviewed it yet. I filmed my entire workout 2 weeks ago. Been meaning to splice it all together and throw it up, but just haven't had time.

But speaking of form, I've been messin with my foot position and think I finally got it figured out last night. My quads and entire back are hashed today.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:58 AM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AthleteCreator View Post
Well, I wanted to incorporate the pin press to develop power off the bottom. Board press is just to hammer the triceps, no?

I haz video. Haven't actually reviewed it yet. I filmed my entire workout 2 weeks ago. Been meaning to splice it all together and throw it up, but just haven't had time.

But speaking of form, I've been messin with my foot position and think I finally got it figured out last night. My quads and entire back are hashed today.
I would try pin presses. Just make sure you have the bar aligned correctly and play with the groove before going crazy with the weight. They are a bear. And they are effective. I'm not telling you NOT to do them. They're just one of my least favorite approaches to training the bench simply because I'm old and have to watch my shoulders. I fear the wrong groove with pin presses.

Always try everything reasonable, and fashion your routine around your preferences and experiences.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:31 PM   #10
bwys61
Austin Simply Fit #1
Max Brawn

make sure the bar is aligned at the bottom of the chest to start. it will hurt like heck if you start too high, and the shoulders will suffer the consequences.

Board presses are pretty much for lockout strength of the tris, but the shoulders and chest still acquire the load