Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   3x3: too many sets? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11750)

begota 11-24-2012 02:46 AM

3x3: too many sets?

My question is simple. Am I spending too much time working out?

I am currently doing a 3x3 program, I am in the first phase on the third week, and I have increased the number of sets I am doing each week. My workout is now taking me about 1 1/2 hours. I want to increase my sets again for week four. I think that will put me at 2 hours. Is that too much time in the gym?

I read that I should keep my workouts under one hour. I am at 7 sets of 5 for squat and deadlift and I am at 8 sets of 6 for bench. I just want to hit 8 total sets for each lift.

DieselWeasel 11-24-2012 03:50 AM

I don't understand. You said that you're doing a 3x3 (3 sets of 3 reps) program, but later stated that you're doing 7 sets of 5, and 8 sets of 6.

Kuytrider 11-24-2012 04:30 AM

As DW says, it's a bit confusing unless it signifies the big 3 performed 3 times a week :confused:

If you feel as if your sessions are too long, you have 3 simple options:

1 - Drop the sets to accommodate a 60-75 minute cut off
2 - Do the program as written but cut rest between sets. In the Increasing Strength thread, Fazc outlined his plan to time each set so he is in and out in a specified time. This is something you could do. As you are doing large amounts of volume, it would necessitate dropping the weight you are currently using as 8x6 and 7x5 on anything is brutal!
3 - Only do one main 8 set exercise a day and increase the number of days you are at the gym. This may not be practicable I understand if you are busy and simply can't spare the time to be in there 4-5 days a week.

Fazc 11-24-2012 07:23 AM

DW & Kuyt, Korte's 3x3 routine has a preliminary phase where you do 5-8 sets of 5-6. See here for details:

The 3x3 Program

Anyway Begota,

I would restrict your rest periods between sets during this preliminary phase, move down to around 2 minutes between sets. Remember the intent of this phase, it's a volume-building phase and as such you won't lose out on much of the training effect if you increase the density of the workouts. You can move back to a more relaxed pace when you reach the peaking phase.

Also I don't think you absolutely must stick to an hour for training as a general rule, just take whatever time you need to get the job done. However I do believe you could restrict the rest periods in this phase, as outlined above.

J_Byrd 11-24-2012 12:35 PM

My suggestion is that anything above 5 reps I would limit rest time. When less than 5 reps I take as much time as needed to be ready for the next set.

Kuytrider 11-24-2012 12:44 PM

Thanks for the clarification Fazc. I've actually come across it before now that I think of it. Looks like a fine program for those looking for gain a bit of mass along with strength. Simple, tough and pretty effective I'd say.

begota 11-24-2012 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fazc (Post 294911)
DW & Kuyt, Korte's 3x3 routine has a preliminary phase where you do 5-8 sets of 5-6. See here for details:

The 3x3 Program

Anyway Begota,

I would restrict your rest periods between sets during this preliminary phase, move down to around 2 minutes between sets. Remember the intent of this phase, it's a volume-building phase and as such you won't lose out on much of the training effect if you increase the density of the workouts. You can move back to a more relaxed pace when you reach the peaking phase.

Also I don't think you absolutely must stick to an hour for training as a general rule, just take whatever time you need to get the job done. However I do believe you could restrict the rest periods in this phase, as outlined above.

You are dead on Fazc. It is Korte's 3x3. Should have been more specific.

I read your increasing strength thread and your new training log, which gave me the idea to cut rest periods down. I had decreased my rest periods to what I thought were 30 sec rest periods on my deadlifts, and about 45 on the bench. When I got to squats I had put in almost an hour (which tells me I wasn't doing as short of a rest period as I thought.), and I was fairly tired, so my rest periods were fairly long.

I was thinking because it is volume work I shouldn't be too concerned with the length of time, as long as it is reasonable. Looks like I will just add another scoop of pre w/o and cut back even more on rest and just SFW.

begota 11-24-2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Byrd (Post 294947)
My suggestion is that anything above 5 reps I would limit rest time. When less than 5 reps I take as much time as needed to be ready for the next set.

Hey J.B.

When you do less than 5 reps you don't limit rest rest because you are usually going at "max" effort?

And when you are over 5 reps you are usually doing volume work, so you limit rest?

J_Byrd 11-24-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by begota (Post 294961)
Hey J.B.

When you do less than 5 reps you don't limit rest rest because you are usually going at "max" effort?

And when you are over 5 reps you are usually doing volume work, so you limit rest?

Yep, When I am down into the 3 rep range the margin of error is small. When I am up above 5 (normally 6-8 reps for me) I am there just to have my butt kicked haha! So that means I limit my rest time, and try to leave throwing up.

begota 11-25-2012 08:00 PM

So I did my workout today keeping in mind to narrow my rest periods. I allowed myself 15 minutes per workout, so I finished in just about an hour, including my treadmill warm up. I was completely spent though. My body was telling me to give up, but my mind threatened to hurt me worst if I gave up..