Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:47 AM   #1
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!
Default 3 day routine,cant sleep

Mind is going too fast,must post this or else I forget and its lost forever.

Me wanna train 3 days instead of 4 so I have more time for other things other days.

9 (?) Basic movements I love.

Heavy ass squats
Dynamic squats
Deadlifts
Heavy ass benching
Dynamic benching
Good mornings
Clean&Press
Power shrugs
Horizontal & Vertical rows

Possibility

Monday - Heavy Squats + Heavy Bench + Rows

Wednesday - Good Mornings + Clean&Press + Power Shrugs

Friday - Deadlift + DE Squats + DE Bench

Upside is,more time. Sleep,cardio,martial arts (something I've neglected and I miss)

Freaking downside is,these sessions could last 90 minutes or more. Maybe,I could be exgagerating. Either way,by the time I get to the end,I might be too tired. Rows on squat day? Cleans after good mornings? Squats after deads? Although,some say it feels good to do rows after deads,would it apply the same to squats. I posted this to another forum but I can't copy/pase worth crap on this phone.

Feedback? Is I crazy or half smart?

BTW I still got 9 months to go with this half baked Westside bastard child,although it may end up just 3 more months. Shoot,this is my 3 and a half month mark on this routine. I barely get it done on Thursday. The more I think about it,I may start something new in January. But I gotta stick to it for at least 4 months.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2012, 02:24 AM   #2
EliteDreams
Max Brawn

EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Wait! Brain has idea!

What if I did rows Wednesday and shrugs Monday!

Old 11-23-2012, 03:59 AM   #3
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteDreams View Post
Freaking downside is,these sessions could last 90 minutes or more. Maybe,I could be exgagerating. Either way,by the time I get to the end,I might be too tired. Rows on squat day? Cleans after good mornings? Squats after deads? Although,some say it feels good to do rows after deads,would it apply the same to squats. I posted this to another forum but I can't copy/pase worth crap on this phone.

Feedback? Is I crazy or half smart?
I know what you mean, it can be too much for one day. A few way's around this that I've used successfully:

1) Move down to 1 press and 1 pull/squat every session instead so you're only 2 exercises total. This will probably mean you spill over to the next week, but that's no big deal. So:

1: Bench, Squat

2: C&P, Rows,

3: DE Bench, DE Squat

4 (Start of next week): Deadlift, Press

5: Start again...

Just for example, you can arrange the exercises however. You get the idea.

2) Reduce the rest periods down. Often what kills guys isn't the number of sets but the sheer amount of time spent in the gym. 90 minutes of psyching up etc is rough going. Spend 60 minutes where you rest only 1-2 timed minutes between sets suddenly makes a large workload more manageable AND improves your conditioning by leaps and bounds.

This way you can do your original routine, hell you could do more once you've adapted, as long as you keep a strict 1 minute between sets. Sure you'll use less weight initially but you'll still get a very good workout.

For me, training alone, the second is my preferred set up. Training with a partner I prefer set up 1.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:23 AM   #4
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

If it helps I have been doing Westside 3 days per week for the past 18months. The rotation means some weeks are 2 max effort, some are 2 dynamic so it's like a wave load. I'd prefer to train 4 days but with family and work it just doesn't happen.
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:59 AM   #5
EliteDreams
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
I know what you mean, it can be too much for one day. A few way's around this that I've used successfully:

1) Move down to 1 press and 1 pull/squat every session instead so you're only 2 exercises total. This will probably mean you spill over to the next week, but that's no big deal. So:

1: Bench, Squat

2: C&P, Rows,

3: DE Bench, DE Squat

4 (Start of next week): Deadlift, Press

5: Start again...

Just for example, you can arrange the exercises however. You get the idea.

2) Reduce the rest periods down. Often what kills guys isn't the number of sets but the sheer amount of time spent in the gym. 90 minutes of psyching up etc is rough going. Spend 60 minutes where you rest only 1-2 timed minutes between sets suddenly makes a large workload more manageable AND improves your conditioning by leaps and bounds.

This way you can do your original routine, hell you could do more once you've adapted, as long as you keep a strict 1 minute between sets. Sure you'll use less weight initially but you'll still get a very good workout.

For me, training alone, the second is my preferred set up. Training with a partner I prefer set up 1.
I am very appreciative of this. Like you said with rest times,its just using less weight but only for a little while. Definitely giving this thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
If it helps I have been doing Westside 3 days per week for the past 18months. The rotation means some weeks are 2 max effort, some are 2 dynamic so it's like a wave load. I'd prefer to train 4 days but with family and work it just doesn't happen.
Yes yes,that would be good!

Thank you both,I know I rambled on.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I need to keep controlled rest periods. After a while you start doing so many warmup sets that if you don't the minutes add up.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:10 PM   #7
EliteDreams
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I need to keep controlled rest periods. After a while you start doing so many warmup sets that if you don't the minutes add up.
Yes,must take awhile warming up for 700lbs! If you much stronger people work with lower rest times,I know I can.

I'm not in a rush to start this, would it be feasable to say work up to a 5RM on squat and bench in the same day,if assistance was kept to a minimum?