Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:37 PM   #11
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselWeasel View Post
I guess you also don't like the Chaos & Pain blog. LOL
Haha, I really like him actually!

He's more funny/angry and he doesn't tend to drop as many strawman arguments. He's just much more positive in general and usually makes his points via interesting historical examples, which I prefer
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2012, 05:43 PM   #12
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Poliquin Blog - Top 5's With Derek Woodske

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:00 PM   #13
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Yep, that's it in a nutshell.

I don't think it's a terribly bad style of getting your point across, I mean it works for some people. But I think it is certainly very audience-dependant. I hear that and just roll my eyes, others may feel different.
I agree. Definitely an audience for it.

I look at it like this...we can spend a good percentage of our time analyzing those doing wrong in our industry, and ranting about it, or we can use that time and energy to help folks.

Now I am not trying to sit here on some high horse and pretend I don't rant and get frustrated. That's part of the human journey. With that said, I try to limit this to occasional steam venting.

I have found that if I dwell on "life's crap" it starts to eat me like a cancer from the inside out. I simply want to diminish that in my own life. Breathing is a gift, and I really want to use that gift to build, not destroy more often than not.

When people live their life in negativity, they have willingly adopted a cancer.

People need solutions, hope and specific guidance. If they are doing something wrong, help them improve. They might listen. they might not listen, or the info might not sink in for 5 years.

There will always be a new crop of foolishness. Why does that surprise humanity?

The battle is in making converts. The question is, how does one best go about doing so? Some of these guys make plenty of converts, but they are angry converts who laugh at everyone and everything, or so it seems. When I dare to listen.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 11-22-2012 at 06:24 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:24 PM   #14
Fazc
Max Brawn

Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
When people live their live in negativity, they have willingly adopted a cancer.
That's a good line.

Certainly different styles appeal to different folks. I have a relatively monotone way of writing, and you know it actually surprised me initially when I joined M&B that it went over well on here on what is (was) primarily an american forum. But I suppose the vibe of the board is somewhat different, perhaps that's your germanic roots showing!

But yeah I couldn't agree more with your post and to expand on something Max said, I think that's where this guy and Chaos & Pain differ. He's very much about positivity, albeit in a very punctuated way. I like that.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #15
Kyle Aaron
community gym PT
Brawn
Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: milk
Kyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machine

Speaking as a personal trainer... he's right.

You can go get your certificates and not know how to coach a pushup. I mean that literally - there is not list of exercises you must be able to coach before being certified as a PT. What's really needed is some sort of apprenticeship system.

If I owned a gym, I'd take on unqualified trainers. I'd tell them: "You're an apprentice. Sign up for this TAFE course, it's two nights a week for a year. 30 hours a week you'll work in the gym. In the beginning you'll just watch, and you'd better be taking notes and asking questions. Over time we'll let you do things and coach people while supervised, and gradually drop off the supervision. As well, you must pick a goal which should take around 6 months to achieve, whether it be to squat 100kg for 20 reps, run 5km in under 20'00" or whatever, you must achieve this goal to pass the course and have any possibility of employment after your apprenticeship, achieving this goal will be 1hr of your work each day."

The point of the supervised coaching I think should be obvious. The point of the goal is that they should have experience of training towards a specific goal, a goal which is difficult enough that progress towards it won't be linear, there'll be steps back, maybe a minor injury or illness or two. This will give them insights on training, and prevent their under- or over-estimation of what people can do.

One of the trainers sent us out some example Crossfit workouts suggesting we try them. One of them was "Linda", deadlift 1.5x bodyweight, squat 1x BW and clean 0.75x BW, first for 10 reps, then 9, then 8, down to 1. This trainer is a bosu ball trainer, he has never even done or coached anyone to doing a single with 1.5xBW, and he's suggesting we get them to do 55 reps? Had he himself ever done this, he'd know it was a stupid workout and not sent it to us.

This is the context in which Woodske is ranting.

Note that if I sent this out to my workmates, none of them would think it applies to them. "Oh me, I'm a great trainer, it's just those other guys." For my part, I know I've a lot to learn, that's why I'm going to the Starting Strength seminar in February. I'm the best in my gym at coaching the slow barbell lifts, our manager is best at the quick lifts. Elsewhere there are many better trainers and coaches though, I've still much to learn.

Most won't do that sort of thing. Again, this is the context in which he's ranting.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #16
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I am also worn down a bit from all the forced bravado and posturing that plagues 10 percent of the strength community.
Oh yes. A pox on all those self-proclaimed badasses who think they're some sort of Nietzschean ubermensch because they can lift up a bit more than most people. I suppose it plays well to the adolescents.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:37 PM   #17
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100

Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
I think that's where this guy and Chaos & Pain differ. He's very much about positivity, albeit in a very punctuated way. I like that.
Do you think so? When I read his blog, most of it seemed to be railing against what pussies most people in the gym were. Maybe he's moved on.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:43 PM   #18
Fazc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
Do you think so? When I read his blog, most of it seemed to be railing against what pussies most people in the gym were. Maybe he's moved on.
Do you not find it's in a very comical way though? C&P seems far more tongue-in-cheek and I get the impression C&P is probably a good laugh on a night out. This fella just seems genuinely angry and probably wouldn't be as much fun on a friday night piss up.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:57 PM   #19
Tannhauser
Max Brawn

Quote:
Do you not find it's in a very comical way though? C&P seems far more tongue-in-cheek and I get the impression C&P is probably a good laugh on a night out. .
Maybe. He is definitely hamming it up. Jonathon Franken has this expression 'kidding on the square' - where someone puts over an opinion in a humorous and ironic way, but underneath that, they actually do mean it. I think that might be him.

Old 11-23-2012, 05:38 PM   #20
Fazc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
Maybe. He is definitely hamming it up. Jonathon Franken has this expression 'kidding on the square' - where someone puts over an opinion in a humorous and ironic way, but underneath that, they actually do mean it. I think that might be him.
Perhaps it's just all the boobs