Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   First time Powerlifters (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11718)

J_Byrd 11-20-2012 11:16 AM

First time Powerlifters

I decided to start a thread for any of you that have some questions about how an actual meet will be ran. First questions....

Quote:

Ok, here are a few to start:
1- How are the weight classes divided?
2- When you say "raw" is that no gear at all? No straps, no belt?
3- How do the levels work? ( I have seen the charts- level I, II,III, IV, Elite etc but do ot know what they mean exactly)
Thanks!

J_Byrd 11-20-2012 11:20 AM

Weight classes are broken down into sections. Most feds use the following.
Muscle and Brawn Bodybuilding, Powerlifting and Muscle Building. – Powerlifting

2.As far as Raw, it varies slightly from fed to fed. Some will allow knee sleeves, others knee wraps. Pretty much all of them will allow a belt and wrist wraps.

3. The levels change from organization to organization, but they are based on your total. The higher your total, the higher the level. Each one is a nice goal to shoot for as you get stronger.

BendtheBar 11-20-2012 11:30 AM

When you sign up, most federations have "Cards". These expire yearly. So you will need not only to register for a meet, but also likely get a "card."

This option should be listed on your meet's entry form.

BendtheBar 11-20-2012 11:34 AM

Made this a sticky.

BendtheBar 11-20-2012 04:12 PM

Check the federation's website for rules on wrap length and width. If you can't find an answer email the fed.

BendtheBar 11-20-2012 04:13 PM

Don't wait to register. Get it done early.

LtL 11-20-2012 04:42 PM

Get someone to come to the meet with you. You'll want to focus on lifting. Your handler can load bars, hand off, check timings, find food, deep heat your cramping back, etc.

Don't be shy at the meet as well. Take the opportunity to speak to more experienced lifters and get hints and tips.

Jen 11-20-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LtL (Post 293950)
Get someone to come to the meet with you. You'll want to focus on lifting. Your handler can load bars, hand off, check timings, find food, deep heat your cramping back, etc.

Don't be shy at the meet as well. Take the opportunity to speak to more experienced lifters and get hints and tips.

Yes, this.

BendtheBar 11-21-2012 10:15 AM

Drink!

Odds are you'll be a ball of nervous energy, sweating when you don't even know you are sweating.

I sipped on diluted whey and water or BCAAs and water constantly.

BendtheBar 11-21-2012 10:15 AM

Stay off your feet as much as possible and relax in between lifts. It's a long day. If you stand all day your back might hate you n that 2nd or 3rd deadlift attempt.