Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:01 PM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default To Those Who Aren't Strong Enough

This is a letter to those of you who don't think you're "strong enough" for powerlifting.

This is nonsense.

I understand what a powerlifting meet might look like to you. There are endless Youtube videos featuring guys deadlifting 700+ pounds, benching a small house, etc. Right now you think everyone at every meet lifts like that. Nothing could be further from the truth.

The reality is this: at most average, non-pro meets you'll be lucky if you see a handful of folks with a:
  • Deadlift 600
  • Bench 350
  • Squat 500

That's raw, of course.

You are stronger than you think. If you don't believe me go to a local powerlifting meet yourself, or check out the results online.

If you have no interest in competing, that's fine. I'm not trying to pressure you here. What I am trying to do is motivate those of you that DO want to powerlift to stop making excuses and do it.

You won't regret it. Money back guarantee comes with that statement. Powerlifting is about heart, and about the effort, not just end strength.

Competing is an adrenaline rush you will never forget.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 11-19-2012 at 07:08 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2012, 07:12 PM   #2
gaspers04
Max Brawn
Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
Fav Supp: Food
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.
gaspers04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #3
moeheep
Max Brawn
Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: 1.5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: DEADS
Fav Supp: Condense
moeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite member

I am leaning that route after attending my first meet as a spectator. I had so much fun watching, I bet it would be a blast to compete!

Best Meet Lifts:
Squat = 325
Bench = 210
Dead = 353
Total = 888

The iron is there during my times of happiness, sadness and anger. The iron is there available through the 4 seasons and inclement weather. The iron is there to either comfort me or motivate me. The Iron manages to show me how strong I am or how humble I need to be. The iron does not yell, but it always demands respect. The iron is not a disciplinarian, but when disrespected, I feel it for a long time. The iron does not love or hate, but we definitely share a strong bond. And no matter how far I stay away or for how long, the iron is there, waiting to be lifted.
moeheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:14 PM   #4
SCStrong
Max Brawn
Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Beer; Milk is for Babies
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

Where can you go to learn the basics (rules, weight classes, etc )? I think I would like to work my way towards competition at least one time.... Also, where / how do you find local events? Thanks
Old 11-19-2012, 11:13 PM   #5
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

^^I would visit powerliftingwatch.com

I am definitely going to go watch a competition first,but there is no doubt in my mind,sooner or later i will start competing.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:48 PM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCStrong View Post
Where can you go to learn the basics (rules, weight classes, etc )? I think I would like to work my way towards competition at least one time.... Also, where / how do you find local events? Thanks
The basics, here.

Just post a question when interested and we'll hook you up. Meets you can find here:

Powerlifting Meets | Powerlifting Watch

Old 11-19-2012, 11:57 PM   #7
begota
Brawn
Points: 4,620, Level: 43 Points: 4,620, Level: 43 Points: 4,620, Level: 43
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

begota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributor

I want to compete so bad. I always look for meets near me, but I don't see much for local meets here.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:59 PM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by begota View Post
I want to compete so bad. I always look for meets near me, but I don't see much for local meets here.
Ask JB. He's from your area.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:01 AM   #9
begota
Brawn
Points: 4,620, Level: 43 Points: 4,620, Level: 43 Points: 4,620, Level: 43
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

begota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributor

Yeah good idea. I need to invite him in for a meal next time he is down at his dr.'s
Old 11-20-2012, 03:31 AM   #10
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

I got nailed by a 220 bench in my first comp and flattened by a 350 squat.

Good times!
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote