Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:47 PM   #1
MattyBoy
Brawn
Points: 336, Level: 6 Points: 336, Level: 6 Points: 336, Level: 6
Activity: 35% Activity: 35% Activity: 35%

Training Exp: 3 months
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Creatine Monohydrate
MattyBoy is a consistent contributorMattyBoy is a consistent contributorMattyBoy is a consistent contributorMattyBoy is a consistent contributorMattyBoy is a consistent contributorMattyBoy is a consistent contributorMattyBoy is a consistent contributorMattyBoy is a consistent contributorMattyBoy is a consistent contributorMattyBoy is a consistent contributorMattyBoy is a consistent contributor
Default Help preparing for first competition.

So I decided to do my first competition on march 2nd. Right now my lifts are pathetic. I have about 4 months to be less pathetic. My bench is 225/ squat 245+/deadlift 315. I think I can add about 80# +/- by then. My plan is:
Monday- Bench and Squat

Wednesday- Bent over row/ SLDL/ Standing BB press/ BB curls (in the squat rack)/ Calf Raises

Friday- Close Grip Bench/ Deadlifts

I'm doing it this way to optimize the time on my primary lifts. On my primary lifts I plan on stepping into my max then dropping down and doing 90% of that for reps. For example : Bar 5x/ 135 3x/ 225 1 x/ 315 1x/ 350 1x/ 315 for reps (if it worked out that way.

On my support movements ill do 3 set of 3-5 reps and stepping up in weight when I can do all three sets for 5 reps. Except my SLDLS and curls ill do a weight I can do 8-10 reps for 3 sets

For my diet I plan to eat pretty clean, but eat big. I will try to get a lot of sleep.
MattyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2012, 09:14 PM   #2
Ryano
Max Brawn
Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 30
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: Buttweiser
Ryano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyBoy View Post
/ BB curls (in the squat rack)/
This is illegal in 48 states.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:47 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Good luck MB. A couple things I would recommend.

1) Do squats before bench and deads before CGs.

2) Consider reworking your program something similar to:

--Monday, Squat and bench
--Wednesday, Deads, OHP, Rows
--Friday, Squat and CGBP

Right now I think you need more squat reps, and I think a second benching day with extra rep work would be beneficial.

On Monday squats I would like to see something like a 3x5 working sets, and on Friday at least a new attempt at a PR triple. Something along those lines.

Would a structure like the one above work for you?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:59 AM   #4
MattyBoy
Brawn

MattyBoy is a consistent contributorMattyBoy is a consistent contributorMattyBoy is a consistent contributorMattyBoy is a consistent contributorMattyBoy is a consistent contributorMattyBoy is a consistent contributorMattyBoy is a consistent contributorMattyBoy is a consistent contributorMattyBoy is a consistent contributorMattyBoy is a consistent contributorMattyBoy is a consistent contributor

That looks great. I'll do it. I had planned to work on support work this morning. My week got all messed up so I did a M Th Sat. I'll do what I planed today, but I'm going to take it a little easy. I'll start your program Monday. I'll be looking forwards to Fridas like Christmas . Thanks a lot
Old 10-27-2012, 08:14 AM   #5
MattyBoy
Brawn

Let me see if this is what you meant, and if the rest looks good to you

Monday: Squat 3 set of 5 reps/. Bench 3 sets of 6-8

Wednesdays: Deads work in sets up to max drop down and do 90% for reps 3 x 2-3. OHP 3 sets of 3-5/ Rows 3 x 5

Friday: on both movements work up sets to max (when I say max I mean PR) drop down to 90% of that for reps 3 x 2-3
Old 10-27-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyBoy View Post
Let me see if this is what you meant, and if the rest looks good to you

Monday: Squat 3 set of 5 reps/. Bench 3 sets of 6-8

Wednesdays: Deads work in sets up to max drop down and do 90% for reps 3 x 2-3. OHP 3 sets of 3-5/ Rows 3 x 5

Friday: on both movements work up sets to max (when I say max I mean PR) drop down to 90% of that for reps 3 x 2-3
That looks a little more reasonable. Just make sure not to push yourself on heavy days beyond what your body is willing to do.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:19 AM   #7
MattyBoy
Brawn

One more question: should I use the same squat stance on my Deadlifts as I do my squat. I use a wider stance on my squat. My toes touch the power rack, but its not as wide as alot of sumo stances i see. I'd have to pull between my legs instead of on the outside.

Last edited by MattyBoy; 10-27-2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:39 AM   #8
elijah
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,896, Level: 25 Points: 1,896, Level: 25 Points: 1,896, Level: 25
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 2
Fav Supp: Red meat & diet Rockstar
elijah is a dedicated contributorelijah is a dedicated contributorelijah is a dedicated contributorelijah is a dedicated contributorelijah is a dedicated contributorelijah is a dedicated contributorelijah is a dedicated contributorelijah is a dedicated contributorelijah is a dedicated contributorelijah is a dedicated contributorelijah is a dedicated contributor

Hey Matty, don't mean to derail this thread but where is he competition at? I'm in UT and have a hard time finding competitions. Oh and my take on your question, I deadlift conventional. Feet inside of shoulders and I squat feet at shoulder width. I am a raw lifter.
elijah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:43 AM   #9
MattyBoy
Brawn

http://www.utahpowerlifting.com/2013...mpionships.pdf I was hoping MAB person would be there
Old 10-27-2012, 08:56 AM   #10
elijah
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,896, Level: 25 Points: 1,896, Level: 25 Points: 1,896, Level: 25
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 2
Fav Supp: Red meat & diet Rockstar
elijah is a dedicated contributorelijah is a dedicated contributorelijah is a dedicated contributorelijah is a dedicated contributorelijah is a dedicated contributorelijah is a dedicated contributorelijah is a dedicated contributorelijah is a dedicated contributorelijah is a dedicated contributorelijah is a dedicated contributorelijah is a dedicated contributor

AWESOME. I should be able to make this. I live down in Utah county. How about you?
elijah is offline   Reply With Quote