Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Critique my four year plan (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11408)

MattyBoy 10-17-2012 08:12 PM

Critique my four year plan

I've just started. I been training almost 3 months. I've been learning a lot,but still have so much to learn. I want to do my first powerlifting competition in 4 years, (ill be 40). I weigh somewhere in the 270's now, and want to compete somewhere between 220 and 240 (I'm 5' 8"). I'm doing an A/B split twice a week right now. I'm going to change it to every 2 days ( A/ rest/ rest/ B etc). It's a progressive split, I started at about 90% my max. When I can do 3 X 12 ill raise the weight and start over. At my training level I think I can do this till April, with rest weeks, and build a decent foundation all winter.

In April I want to cut weight till August with 3 conditioning days and 1 or 2 strength days.

In August I want to focus on strength again. I don't know exactly how to go from here. Stick to strength or do a strength/ mass periodization? By then ill have a year in. I thought it should take two years of strength/ mass/ conditioning periodization to build a good base. Then for the next 2 years go ahead and focus on strength.

I don't know how good this plan is. That's the reason I'm trying to get some advice. I like to know where I'm going and I like having a plan. I know 4 years is a long time and a lot can change. I can tweak things if and when I need to. I have a goal and I want a plan to get there. I want to compete so bad. I think about it every day. I listen to Iron radio while I work, read as much as I can and train. I'm willing to do whatever it takes.

BendtheBar 10-17-2012 09:30 PM

Quote:

When I can do 3 X 12 ill raise the weight and start over.
Good place to start. Eventually you might need to lower those rep ceilings for certain lifts, especially if you start to see rapid progress.

My only advice is to listen your body and each lift, and gradually lower that rep ceiling over time as you see fit. As you approach a 200 bench and 300 squat, hitting 12 reps per set is going to become increasingly more intense, and perhaps might actually slow progress.

I spent a lot of time in the 200s on bench and 300s on squats fighting for reps. It can be done, but some 3-5 rep work might be as beneficial at some point for pure end limit strength.

Quote:

In August I want to focus on strength again. I don't know exactly how to go from here. Stick to strength or do a strength/ mass periodization?
You want to ride progression similar to what you described in the 5 to 10 rep range and climb that strength ladder as quickly as possible. Strength and mass gains will go hand in hand for you. You need to build both right now, and build a base.

Spend a year or two doing that, and learning your body. Depending on the rate of your progress, you can then make programming adjustments.

Projecting too far ahead won't benefit you right now because there are too many variables. My advice is to pick a program you like, and set out like a rabid dog in heat after a 300 bench, 400 squat and 500 deadlift.

While on that path read every article you can on form, and post videos so people can help you. We will do everything in our power to help you climb that ladder as quickly and safely as possible.

I hope this helps some.

MattyBoy 10-17-2012 09:39 PM

Awesome, thanks so much. I'm glad you mentioned the bit about the rep ceiling.

BendtheBar 10-17-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattyBoy (Post 285860)
Awesome, thanks so much. I'm glad you mentioned the bit about the rep ceiling.

Let us know if we can help in any way.

MattyBoy 10-17-2012 10:57 PM

Steve, I was thinking, I could probably put 200 up for reps now. Yesterday, I pressed 3 set of 5 @ 185. After reading your earlier post, I just want go ahead and get it. What do you think?