Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:23 AM   #1
leefarley
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member
Default i need help with my grip strength

what are some good ways to strengthen my grip for heavy deadlifts currently i'm using a mix grip and straps but my grip strength gives out before my body strength,i'm looking for suggestions on fixing this problem,can any one help thanks.
leefarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2012, 05:31 AM   #2
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefarley View Post
currently i'm using a mix grip and straps but my grip strength gives out before my body strength
Just to clarify, are you saying you lose your grip while wearing straps? If so, you're not wearing them properly.

In my opinion if you have to wear straps then wear them, it's not a big deal. Just try and minimise their use. Do as much without straps as you can, but don't limit your Deadlift work by a refusal to use straps or not wear them correctly.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:03 AM   #3
Beverly McD
Max Brawn
Points: 2,218, Level: 28 Points: 2,218, Level: 28 Points: 2,218, Level: 28
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: Since 1987
Beverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machine

Use a large bowl (like a mixing bowl) and pour in 2 cups or so of rock salt, and 2 cups or so of long grain rice.
Several times per day grab a handful and squeeze as hard as you can for ten seconds or so.
It's great for both grip strength and callouses.
Beverly McD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:29 AM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
but don't limit your Deadlift work by a refusal to use straps or not wear them correctly.
I agree with Fazc.

I would also add that Versa Gripps are much better than straps and worth the cash when you have it. They lock much easier.

Also, get your back as strong as possible. Here's a good post by Fazc:

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/q/9...tml#post260075

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:32 AM   #5
markievicz
Max Brawn
Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 2.5yrs
Fav Exercise: OHP
markievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master member

high rep DB rows (Kroc row?) really helped my grip out ,

Twitter: @markievicz5
YouTube: Markievicz5
markievicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:56 AM   #6
leefarley
Max Brawn

leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

thanks for the info how can i check to see if i'm using straps properly?

i will definitely look in to versa gripps as i'm not liking straps finding them difficult to use.

the high rep db rows what sort reps and sets and weight would i use.

Last edited by leefarley; 10-04-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:41 AM   #7
Disciple X
Max Brawn
Points: 6,017, Level: 50 Points: 6,017, Level: 50 Points: 6,017, Level: 50
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Disciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machine

I'll help you with the strap question. When you approach the bar with hand in oveverhand position, the strap can go on either side of the bar first. You can put it on the far side or the near side. To be correct it needs to be on the near side, aka your side. You will start by wrapping under the bar. The Incorrect way starts by wrapping over the bar.

One more way to foolfroof it is- approach the bar like your ready to deadlift. Turn your head and look at your right hand. This strap will go clockwise. Look at your left hand- this one will go counterclockwise.

If you take them in the correct direction, theres no way your grip will slip. If you're still having trouble, chalk the bar first where the strap is going go wrap. This creates an incredible amount of friction and really kindof makes it difficult to even get set right since the straps grab so hard, i think i would literally destroy something in my arms/ shoulders before this grip slipped.

If you still cant get this, let me know and i'll send you a video. Some people just cant understand that theres two different directions to wrap. They just cant "see" the other way. Lol.
Disciple X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:45 AM   #8
Disciple X
Max Brawn
Points: 6,017, Level: 50 Points: 6,017, Level: 50 Points: 6,017, Level: 50
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Disciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machine

One final thought, if you're using thick straps, it creates a problem. just a simple pair of thin straps from any sporting goods place, even walmart or similar is what you want. I've used "spud inc" straps that are bulky and hard to use. I've had almost 600 lbs hanging from the cheapos for eight rep sets with no problems.
Disciple X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #9
Mr.Silverback
Max Brawn
Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 15+
Fav Exercise: Squat, Bench, Dead
Fav Supp: Chicken, Beef, water
Mr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverly McD. View Post
Use a large bowl (like a mixing bowl) and pour in 2 cups or so of rock salt, and 2 cups or so of long grain rice.
Several times per day grab a handful and squeeze as hard as you can for ten seconds or so.
It's great for both grip strength and callouses.
This, Bev beat me to it!
CHECK OUT MY 1ST EBOOK
http://www.stronglife610.org
Mr.Silverback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:02 AM   #10
leefarley
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple X View Post
One final thought, if you're using thick straps, it creates a problem. just a simple pair of thin straps from any sporting goods place, even walmart or similar is what you want. I've used "spud inc" straps that are bulky and hard to use. I've had almost 600 lbs hanging from the cheapos for eight rep sets with no problems.
thanks disciple X for the info i can see i'm useing my straps wrong now by what you have written but could you still send the video so i can visually check that i'm doing it right,thanks.