Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   i need help with my grip strength (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11279)

leefarley 10-04-2012 04:23 AM

i need help with my grip strength

what are some good ways to strengthen my grip for heavy deadlifts currently i'm using a mix grip and straps but my grip strength gives out before my body strength,i'm looking for suggestions on fixing this problem,can any one help thanks.

Fazc 10-04-2012 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leefarley (Post 282127)
currently i'm using a mix grip and straps but my grip strength gives out before my body strength

Just to clarify, are you saying you lose your grip while wearing straps? If so, you're not wearing them properly.

In my opinion if you have to wear straps then wear them, it's not a big deal. Just try and minimise their use. Do as much without straps as you can, but don't limit your Deadlift work by a refusal to use straps or not wear them correctly.

Beverly McD 10-04-2012 07:03 AM

Use a large bowl (like a mixing bowl) and pour in 2 cups or so of rock salt, and 2 cups or so of long grain rice.
Several times per day grab a handful and squeeze as hard as you can for ten seconds or so.
It's great for both grip strength and callouses.

BendtheBar 10-04-2012 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fazc (Post 282129)
but don't limit your Deadlift work by a refusal to use straps or not wear them correctly.

I agree with Fazc.

I would also add that Versa Gripps are much better than straps and worth the cash when you have it. They lock much easier.

Also, get your back as strong as possible. Here's a good post by Fazc:

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/q/9...tml#post260075

markievicz 10-04-2012 07:32 AM

high rep DB rows (Kroc row?) really helped my grip out ,

leefarley 10-04-2012 08:56 AM

thanks for the info how can i check to see if i'm using straps properly?

i will definitely look in to versa gripps as i'm not liking straps finding them difficult to use.

the high rep db rows what sort reps and sets and weight would i use.

Disciple X 10-04-2012 09:41 AM

I'll help you with the strap question. When you approach the bar with hand in oveverhand position, the strap can go on either side of the bar first. You can put it on the far side or the near side. To be correct it needs to be on the near side, aka your side. You will start by wrapping under the bar. The Incorrect way starts by wrapping over the bar.

One more way to foolfroof it is- approach the bar like your ready to deadlift. Turn your head and look at your right hand. This strap will go clockwise. Look at your left hand- this one will go counterclockwise.

If you take them in the correct direction, theres no way your grip will slip. If you're still having trouble, chalk the bar first where the strap is going go wrap. This creates an incredible amount of friction and really kindof makes it difficult to even get set right since the straps grab so hard, i think i would literally destroy something in my arms/ shoulders before this grip slipped.

If you still cant get this, let me know and i'll send you a video. Some people just cant understand that theres two different directions to wrap. They just cant "see" the other way. Lol.

Disciple X 10-04-2012 09:45 AM

One final thought, if you're using thick straps, it creates a problem. just a simple pair of thin straps from any sporting goods place, even walmart or similar is what you want. I've used "spud inc" straps that are bulky and hard to use. I've had almost 600 lbs hanging from the cheapos for eight rep sets with no problems.

Mr.Silverback 10-04-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beverly McD. (Post 282143)
Use a large bowl (like a mixing bowl) and pour in 2 cups or so of rock salt, and 2 cups or so of long grain rice.
Several times per day grab a handful and squeeze as hard as you can for ten seconds or so.
It's great for both grip strength and callouses.

This, Bev beat me to it!

leefarley 10-04-2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disciple X (Post 282233)
One final thought, if you're using thick straps, it creates a problem. just a simple pair of thin straps from any sporting goods place, even walmart or similar is what you want. I've used "spud inc" straps that are bulky and hard to use. I've had almost 600 lbs hanging from the cheapos for eight rep sets with no problems.

thanks disciple X for the info i can see i'm useing my straps wrong now by what you have written but could you still send the video so i can visually check that i'm doing it right,thanks.