Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #1
datboi
New Brawn
Points: 96, Level: 1 Points: 96, Level: 1 Points: 96, Level: 1
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

datboi is off to a bad start
Default MMA style workout for a MMA body?

Hello im 16, 5'6, and 133, im really interested in fighting (not professionally) and i also want to be that kind of lean like a MMA fighter, i would like to be 170, like Paul Bradley, or the black mma fighters, (im black) how they are usually well ripped and muscles defined, and have incredible speed and power, workouts that could help me with that. I have basically all the equipment you'd find in a high school gym, such as the normal bench presses, squat racks, calf raises, pull up bars and what not, and all dumbells, kettle balls, treadmills, and i could shadow box but if a punching bag is absolutely neccessary ill get one.

Basically im saying i want to get the ripped, mma look, while still being an effective fighter, you know stronger than i look. Any help is appreciated.
datboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

To get that build you need to start with a good muscle building plan:

8 Week Novice Quick Start Workout Plan | Muscle & Strength

At your weight you could add muscle without dropping fat and it would change your body composition and performance for the better.

Lift weights, do some form of cardio 3-4 times per week, get stronger, and eat plenty of healthy nutritious food.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:50 AM   #3
kitarpyar
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

For whatever it is worth, Rich Franklin was in my town for signing autographs, merchandise etc at a local supplement store couple of years back. I asked him about his workout methods and whether it was almost always similar to the Rich Franklin workout video in YouTube, i.e. lengthy circuit training for over an hour.

His reply was that such routines were pretty much what he uses close to the fight to work on his conditioning. During the months after the fights, away from the cage or off-season or whatever you call it, he said his training is similar to powerlifting, with heavy compounds, low reps and relatively longer rest between sets.

I don't know what you mean by a "MMA style workout", but I would guess a "MMA style workout" would depend on how far out you are from your fight. Get stronger when you can, away from the spotlight, and then slowly as you come closer to the big day spend more time on your conditioning, speed, etc.
kitarpyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:25 AM   #4
leefarley
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

strength can be build with weights and bodyweight exercises,for speed and power you will need to do actual drills using your mma,how much mma or martial arts experience have you got? like kitparyer said alot of mma/martial arts weight training is very similar to a powerlifters routine or even a basic 5x5 will do,mark rippetoes starting strength program would suit your needs.
leefarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:53 PM   #5
datboi
New Brawn

Would p90x be good for this? my dad just got it which is why im asking..
Old 09-27-2012, 10:19 PM   #6
JacktheThriller
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,833, Level: 25 Points: 1,833, Level: 25 Points: 1,833, Level: 25
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 5 years consistent
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Fish Oil
JacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributor

if you want to look mma get a friend to smash your ears with bricks for the cauliflower ears and break your nose and dont get it fixed for that rugged look
JacktheThriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:22 PM   #7
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by datboi View Post
Would p90x be good for this? my dad just got it which is why im asking..
Highly unlikely, it may serve you well for basic conditioning but to get an MMA body look, the best thing to do would be to start doing MMA.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:52 PM   #8
leefarley
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

like 5kg said to look like mma fighter it s best to do mma, and a another thing worth to consider bulking up to 170 while doing mma would be quite hard thing to do unless you are taking in allot of calories and protein and i mean allot
leefarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #9
datboi
New Brawn

Yeah your right, but i wont be doing mma.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:25 PM   #10
datboi
New Brawn

So p90x is useless? what if i cant get a gym membership or join a gym? all i have is a pull up bar and some 35 pound dumbells..Maybe you know a good boxing workout to throw in?