Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:31 AM   #1
ehubbard
Raw/Multiply Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
ehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beast
Default Meet Results - IPA CT State Open

2012 IPA Connecticut State Open Powerlifting and Bench Press Championships

Drove up to New Haven the morning of the meet and weighed in at 295 lbs (about 5 lbs down from my morning scale weight at home). I didn't think much of it, but this was the first sign that I needed to get some fluids in. The IPA changed their rules this week to allow knee wraps or sleeves in the raw division. I brought my sleeves so I gladly put them on for my last few warmups.

Squat

Warmups went OK. Took 435 as a last warmup and decided that was enough.

525 lbs - Good Lift
5 lb meet PR

575 lbs - Good Lift
55 lb meet PR
This one went up with some really good speed, but my hamstring and back were feeling it already so I went to 605 on a third

605 lbs - Good Lift
85 lb meet PR
The video is angled so it looks high. Hips shot up fast and got a little forward but got it with room to spare

Bench

Unfortunately there were no competition spec benches at this meet, so the ones on the platform and in the gym/warmup area were a few inches low. I tried tucking my feet but couldn't get comfortable. I warmed up to 315, and lowered my opener by 20 lbs because I had to setup differentlly.

335 lbs - Good Lift
Couldn't get comfortable on the bench and some mild hamstring cramping started to set in.

370 lbs - Good Lift
20 lb Meet PR
I managed to find a spot for my feet slightly tucked, but it was still a little awkward. No cramping on this one and the weight flew up easy. Something told me to go 400, but I said screw it and went 405 instead

405 lbs - No Lift
Missed this one at lockout as my legs started cramping up bad, and then went to my glute and lower back as I was locking out. Had them take it, and had to roll off the bench to get up.

Deadlift

During warmups I could barely get down to the bar. So to stay in the meet I had them change my opener from 705 to 150. I kept pounding gatorade and water, took some Taurine (thanks Pat!), and tried to stretch out my back and hamstring as much as possible. Each warmup hurt more than the other so I stopped at 405.

150 lbs - Good Lift
Went back to warmup area and pulled 495, which felt better and gave me some confidence that I could trust the hamstring.

605 lbs - Good Lift
This gave me a total PR. I came up completely twisted and it did not feel great, but I kept drinking water and attempting to stretch my back and hamstrings for a final attempt. 755 would give me a Raw Pro Total (IPA and SPF Raw Pro Am qualifying total). It would also be a 20 lbs raw PR, and 5 lb overall PR.

755 lbs - Good Lift
20 lb raw PR, 5 lb over best geared pull
Weight came up fast of the floor, stalled a bit at the knee and then flew up fast to lockout. Looking at tit I'm not sure 800 would have fallen in the condition I was in but I was definitely good for more. However, I only think I had one 750 + lb pull in me before my back and hamstring went on strike.

1730 lb Raw Total at 308 (155 lb meet PR). I'm happy with the end result, but I feel like there's a lot more in me right now. I guess you always want to go 9 for 9 and leave some pounds on the platform. For the next meet I will defintely bring more liquid calories and electrolytes to help keep my weight up and the cramping at bay. For some reason the last two meets I have had problems dropping weight on the morning of the meet. I need to force liquids in so I don't compete dehyradated.

Big Thanks to my wife for all her love and support. My training partner Shawn (and you to Dave when you decide to show up ), and the team at Iron Horse Powerlifting for helping me out at the meet.

Video

ehubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2012, 08:46 AM   #2
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Awesome work buddy. Impressive lifting and definitely more in the tank there.

Al
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:53 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Good battle on that 405. I thought you were going to get it there for a second.

Made that 755 look easy. Well done. And congrats on the pro total, and the huge meet PR. Huge step forward.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:07 AM   #4
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

You can tell the ham is bothering you on that pull, and still beat me by 70lbs lol!!!!!

Great work man, congrats on the big total. Sucks to not have a comp bench at the meet!!!

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:28 AM   #5
ehubbard
Raw/Multiply Powerlifter
Max Brawn

ehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
Awesome work buddy. Impressive lifting and definitely more in the tank there.

Al
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Good battle on that 405. I thought you were going to get it there for a second.

Made that 755 look easy. Well done. And congrats on the pro total, and the huge meet PR. Huge step forward.
If only I could have lifted with my feet on the bench. That would have killed the cramping that started in my hamstring!

The 755 was supposed to be my second attempt, but I was very happy to get it given the circumstances. Mark Chaillet said take another. I passed on that idea since I could barely hobble around after that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Byrd View Post
You can tell the ham is bothering you on that pull, and still beat me by 70lbs lol!!!!!

Great work man, congrats on the big total. Sucks to not have a comp bench at the meet!!!
Thanks, man! Yeah, I normally don't stall on the deadlift and then regain strength! If I stall, that's it.

Believe it or not I would do this meet again despite the bench issue. It didn't really seem to bother too many people but then again no one was even close to 6'13", like me. I also tapped the top of the mono lift on my last squat. LOL. The meet director, Jay, was super cool, and helpful in sorting things out all day.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:59 AM   #6
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

So now whats the plan being you have the pro raw total? The next raw pro am from SPF is in Myrtle Beach in January. Only about 2 hrs away from me. Be happy to meet you down there if you need help.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:19 AM   #7
ehubbard
Raw/Multiply Powerlifter
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Byrd View Post
So now whats the plan being you have the pro raw total? The next raw pro am from SPF is in Myrtle Beach in January. Only about 2 hrs away from me. Be happy to meet you down there if you need help.
I wish and I really appreciate the offer. Baby Boy Hubbard is coming in 5-6 weeks, and we have an 18 month old at home now. I probably wont do another meet for a while (and it would likely be somewhere very local).

I would love to get back in gear, but I have a lot of work to do to get the most out of it. Part of me wants to keep doing raw meets until I best my best geared total (1925) in a raw with knee wraps meet. I will work the gear back in and just keep getting stronger. Since the IPA and RPS allow knee wraps in the raw division I'll start adding that in as well. I have a lot of numbers I want to hit geared and raw, so I'll just keep plugging away. The most important thing is to just keep enjoying what I'm doing. This also comes down to training partners. I have one very solid guy now, but obviously more guys like that would make it a lot easier to start throwing around heavy geared squats in my basement. I did the train in gear by yourself thing before and had a few close calls.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #8
Mr.Silverback
Max Brawn
Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 15+
Fav Exercise: Squat, Bench, Dead
Fav Supp: Chicken, Beef, water
Mr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master member

strong meet bruh! and Congrats on the lil one on the way!
CHECK OUT MY 1ST EBOOK
http://www.stronglife610.org
Mr.Silverback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:09 PM   #9
ehubbard
Raw/Multiply Powerlifter
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Silverback View Post
strong meet bruh! and Congrats on the lil one on the way!
Thanks! Not bad for a city boy, huh? But I do have some country farm blood in me
Old 09-24-2012, 12:10 PM   #10
Beverly McD
Max Brawn
Points: 2,218, Level: 28 Points: 2,218, Level: 28 Points: 2,218, Level: 28
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: Since 1987
Beverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machine

Really well done! A boat load of PR's and a PR total! Congratulations. That's a great day.

I noticed your set up on the 405 bench was much different from your 370. Looked like maybe your feet being extended in front of you instead of tucked cost you a few pounds because it killed your leg drive.
On a regular competition bench I think 405 would have been yours. No problem.
Beverly McD is offline   Reply With Quote