Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 09-22-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
kitarpyar
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member
Default Wraps/Sleeves

I was looking around for knee wraps, and based on the info on internet, this is what I understand -
  • Properly used, knee wraps can add to the squat
  • Overuse of knee wraps lead to problems with patella, and hence is advisable to restrict only to the heavy sets.

My primary reason for looking around for wraps is just to keep the elbows/knees warmer and safer during bench/squat, rather than to get assistance in the lifts (and may be risk long term injury). Based on the internet search, it appears to me that knee wraps isn't what I need, but some other form of support.

Those of you who use elbow and knee support, what would you suggest? Do you think regular medical/surgical sleeves would work?
kitarpyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

I'd have a look at the Rehband brand of supports. They are the most used out there. EliteFTS' own brand comes out pretty well too I believe.

Al
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:34 PM   #3
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitarpyar View Post
I was looking around for knee wraps, and based on the info on internet, this is what I understand -
  • Properly used, knee wraps can add to the squat
  • Overuse of knee wraps lead to problems with patella, and hence is advisable to restrict only to the heavy sets.

My primary reason for looking around for wraps is just to keep the elbows/knees warmer and safer during bench/squat, rather than to get assistance in the lifts (and may be risk long term injury). Based on the internet search, it appears to me that knee wraps isn't what I need, but some other form of support.

Those of you who use elbow and knee support, what would you suggest? Do you think regular medical/surgical sleeves would work?
I recently got me a pair of rehband kneesleves and I love them. Keeps it tight and warm and since I started to use them, my knees have stopped to click during warmups =)
Old 09-22-2012, 05:42 PM   #4
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitarpyar View Post
Based on the internet search, it appears to me that knee wraps isn't what I need, but some other form of support.
Yeah, I'd say knee and elbow sleeves is more what you'd be after.

In my experience as long as you're sensible about it they will help rather than hinder. I'll be investing in some strengthshop knee and elbow sleeves soon for my raw days.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

I wrap my knees after 335 on every squat set, but I have had major surgery on my knee and its more for fear than anything. I wear knee sleeves on my elbows on bench days, mostly because its hard to find an elbow sleeve that fits. I think you will want the sleeves more than the wraps. Never used the knee sleeves, but I would trust Swede and Fraz on their recommendation.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:46 PM   #6
kitarpyar
Max Brawn

kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

Thanks for the responses guys. Much appreciate it.

I guess I will get some elbow and knee sleeves rather than wraps.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:43 AM   #7
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Thanks J_Byrd.

Kit, I just ordered a pair of these:

https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/sleev...e-sleeves.html

And these:

https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/sleev...w-sleeves.html

I've used both before, when training with some of the UK guys and I really enjoyed the support and ease of use. So I'm looking forward to some of my own. You might not want anything quite that strong however so if you take a look at some of these options, perhaps the Rehband stuff you might find something you like:

https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/sleev...ps-straps.html
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:27 AM   #8
Ironman
Master Powerlifter
Brawn
Points: 637, Level: 12 Points: 637, Level: 12 Points: 637, Level: 12
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 13
Fav Exercise: SQUAT
Fav Supp: Advocare 02 Gold
Ironman is a consistent contributorIronman is a consistent contributorIronman is a consistent contributorIronman is a consistent contributorIronman is a consistent contributorIronman is a consistent contributorIronman is a consistent contributorIronman is a consistent contributorIronman is a consistent contributorIronman is a consistent contributorIronman is a consistent contributor

I agree with J_Byrd. Sleeves over wraps. Just get a pair that aren't too tight. I use APT knee sleeves for both elbows and knees. The elbow sleeves were two-ply but were too supportive. They would cut off circulation, so I cut the plies apart and use the one-ply now. They keep my elbows warm and I can wear them the whole workout without any numbness. The knees sleeves are a little more supportive but I have a size that is larger than I need. They sometimes cause circulation issues but all I do is pull them down between sets.
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:16 AM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Byrd View Post
I wrap my knees after 335 on every squat set, but I have had major surgery on my knee and its more for fear than anything. I wear knee sleeves on my elbows on bench days, mostly because its hard to find an elbow sleeve that fits. I think you will want the sleeves more than the wraps. Never used the knee sleeves, but I would trust Swede and Fraz on their recommendation.
What kind of knee sleeves? I need elbow sleeves stat.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:26 PM   #10
kitarpyar
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
I'd have a look at the Rehband brand of supports. They are the most used out there. EliteFTS' own brand comes out pretty well too I believe.

Al
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
I recently got me a pair of rehband kneesleves and I love them. Keeps it tight and warm and since I started to use them, my knees have stopped to click during warmups =)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Yeah, I'd say knee and elbow sleeves is more what you'd be after.

In my experience as long as you're sensible about it they will help rather than hinder. I'll be investing in some strengthshop knee and elbow sleeves soon for my raw days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Byrd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Thanks J_Byrd.

Kit, I just ordered a pair of these:

https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/sleev...e-sleeves.html

And these:

https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/sleev...w-sleeves.html

I've used both before, when training with some of the UK guys and I really enjoyed the support and ease of use. So I'm looking forward to some of my own. You might not want anything quite that strong however so if you take a look at some of these options, perhaps the Rehband stuff you might find something you like:

https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/sleev...ps-straps.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
I agree with J_Byrd. Sleeves over wraps. Just get a pair that aren't too tight. I use APT knee sleeves for both elbows and knees. The elbow sleeves were two-ply but were too supportive. They would cut off circulation, so I cut the plies apart and use the one-ply now. They keep my elbows warm and I can wear them the whole workout without any numbness. The knees sleeves are a little more supportive but I have a size that is larger than I need. They sometimes cause circulation issues but all I do is pull them down between sets.
Thanks for the responses everyone. I will go ahead and get the blue sleeves from Rehband (Jackals gym)