Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Wraps/Sleeves (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11185)

kitarpyar 09-22-2012 04:49 PM

Wraps/Sleeves
 
I was looking around for knee wraps, and based on the info on internet, this is what I understand -
  • Properly used, knee wraps can add to the squat
  • Overuse of knee wraps lead to problems with patella, and hence is advisable to restrict only to the heavy sets.

My primary reason for looking around for wraps is just to keep the elbows/knees warmer and safer during bench/squat, rather than to get assistance in the lifts (and may be risk long term injury). Based on the internet search, it appears to me that knee wraps isn't what I need, but some other form of support.

Those of you who use elbow and knee support, what would you suggest? Do you think regular medical/surgical sleeves would work?

LtL 09-22-2012 04:58 PM

I'd have a look at the Rehband brand of supports. They are the most used out there. EliteFTS' own brand comes out pretty well too I believe.

Al

big_swede 09-22-2012 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitarpyar (Post 279055)
I was looking around for knee wraps, and based on the info on internet, this is what I understand -
  • Properly used, knee wraps can add to the squat
  • Overuse of knee wraps lead to problems with patella, and hence is advisable to restrict only to the heavy sets.

My primary reason for looking around for wraps is just to keep the elbows/knees warmer and safer during bench/squat, rather than to get assistance in the lifts (and may be risk long term injury). Based on the internet search, it appears to me that knee wraps isn't what I need, but some other form of support.

Those of you who use elbow and knee support, what would you suggest? Do you think regular medical/surgical sleeves would work?

I recently got me a pair of rehband kneesleves and I love them. Keeps it tight and warm and since I started to use them, my knees have stopped to click during warmups =)

Fazc 09-22-2012 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitarpyar (Post 279055)
Based on the internet search, it appears to me that knee wraps isn't what I need, but some other form of support.

Yeah, I'd say knee and elbow sleeves is more what you'd be after.

In my experience as long as you're sensible about it they will help rather than hinder. I'll be investing in some strengthshop knee and elbow sleeves soon for my raw days.

J_Byrd 09-22-2012 08:48 PM

I wrap my knees after 335 on every squat set, but I have had major surgery on my knee and its more for fear than anything. I wear knee sleeves on my elbows on bench days, mostly because its hard to find an elbow sleeve that fits. I think you will want the sleeves more than the wraps. Never used the knee sleeves, but I would trust Swede and Fraz on their recommendation.

kitarpyar 09-22-2012 11:46 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. Much appreciate it.

I guess I will get some elbow and knee sleeves rather than wraps.

Fazc 09-23-2012 03:43 AM

Thanks J_Byrd.

Kit, I just ordered a pair of these:

https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/sleev...e-sleeves.html

And these:

https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/sleev...w-sleeves.html

I've used both before, when training with some of the UK guys and I really enjoyed the support and ease of use. So I'm looking forward to some of my own. You might not want anything quite that strong however so if you take a look at some of these options, perhaps the Rehband stuff you might find something you like:

https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/sleev...ps-straps.html

Ironman 09-23-2012 08:27 AM

I agree with J_Byrd. Sleeves over wraps. Just get a pair that aren't too tight. I use APT knee sleeves for both elbows and knees. The elbow sleeves were two-ply but were too supportive. They would cut off circulation, so I cut the plies apart and use the one-ply now. They keep my elbows warm and I can wear them the whole workout without any numbness. The knees sleeves are a little more supportive but I have a size that is larger than I need. They sometimes cause circulation issues but all I do is pull them down between sets.

BendtheBar 09-23-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Byrd (Post 279077)
I wrap my knees after 335 on every squat set, but I have had major surgery on my knee and its more for fear than anything. I wear knee sleeves on my elbows on bench days, mostly because its hard to find an elbow sleeve that fits. I think you will want the sleeves more than the wraps. Never used the knee sleeves, but I would trust Swede and Fraz on their recommendation.

What kind of knee sleeves? I need elbow sleeves stat.

kitarpyar 09-23-2012 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LtL (Post 279057)
I'd have a look at the Rehband brand of supports. They are the most used out there. EliteFTS' own brand comes out pretty well too I believe.

Al

Quote:

Originally Posted by big_swede (Post 279060)
I recently got me a pair of rehband kneesleves and I love them. Keeps it tight and warm and since I started to use them, my knees have stopped to click during warmups =)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fazc (Post 279062)
Yeah, I'd say knee and elbow sleeves is more what you'd be after.

In my experience as long as you're sensible about it they will help rather than hinder. I'll be investing in some strengthshop knee and elbow sleeves soon for my raw days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Byrd (Post 279077)
I wrap my knees after 335 on every squat set, but I have had major surgery on my knee and its more for fear than anything. I wear knee sleeves on my elbows on bench days, mostly because its hard to find an elbow sleeve that fits. I think you will want the sleeves more than the wraps. Never used the knee sleeves, but I would trust Swede and Fraz on their recommendation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fazc (Post 279123)
Thanks J_Byrd.

Kit, I just ordered a pair of these:

https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/sleev...e-sleeves.html

And these:

https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/sleev...w-sleeves.html

I've used both before, when training with some of the UK guys and I really enjoyed the support and ease of use. So I'm looking forward to some of my own. You might not want anything quite that strong however so if you take a look at some of these options, perhaps the Rehband stuff you might find something you like:

https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/sleev...ps-straps.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironman (Post 279141)
I agree with J_Byrd. Sleeves over wraps. Just get a pair that aren't too tight. I use APT knee sleeves for both elbows and knees. The elbow sleeves were two-ply but were too supportive. They would cut off circulation, so I cut the plies apart and use the one-ply now. They keep my elbows warm and I can wear them the whole workout without any numbness. The knees sleeves are a little more supportive but I have a size that is larger than I need. They sometimes cause circulation issues but all I do is pull them down between sets.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I will go ahead and get the blue sleeves from Rehband (Jackals gym)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.