Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:45 PM   #1
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast
Default Deadlifting 2 Twice a Week

As most of you guys know I am running the Coan deadlift cycle right now. I am debating what to do next, so I will start thinking about it now. I have 4 more weeks of Coan left, solid program, but it is not something I can do all the time.

I was talking to one of the guys at the gym tonight who has recently been having huge success with his deadlift. This is kinda what we figured out tonight, so I want some critiques and thoughts.

Monday ME Squats/Deads-will continue to use LRB Strong 15 for squats
Thursday DE Squats/Rack Pulls

Thinking of rotating in 4 week cycles:
Monday- Wk1 Deficit Sumo
Wk 2- sumo off 4 mats
Wk 3-sumo off 2 mats
Wk 4-sumo from floor

Thursdays Rack Pulls-conventional
Wk 1 just below knee
Wk 2 mid shin
Wk 3 lowest pin possible
Wk 4- will hit my weakest height-unsure of what that is yet

Basically this will involve a lot of overload work, but I think it will be good. I plan to work up to a heavy single and then drop back for a rep set. Also, going to try to get more detailed in my assistance. Mondays will probably have no assistance at all, maybe shrugs if my low back can handle it.

This is just a basic idea right now, but it will grow and I would like some discussion. I will post more ideas as they come.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:02 AM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

The biggest thing I found when trying to deadlift frequently was that floor pulling was the most taxing. It looks like you are only pulling from the floor (or below) twice in 4 weeks so I think that should work.

My only other advice is to listen to your body on a given day when building up to a max set. Frequent pulling was very unpredictable for me. Be willing to make adjustments because you might run into a few stumbling blocks along the way.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:24 AM   #3
miked96
Max Brawn
Points: 13,418, Level: 75 Points: 13,418, Level: 75 Points: 13,418, Level: 75

miked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master member

I would suggest only going heavy on the squat and deadlift once a week and the other day for speed pulls. Something like:

Day 1
Speed pulls 60% for 5x3
Dimel deads 2x10
3 upper back exercise

Day 2
SSB or Front Squats 2x5
Deficit or Floor Deads 1x5
Hamstring (2 exercises)
Abs

I bumped my dead over 600 for the first time with something similar.
miked96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:06 PM   #4
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn

jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked96 View Post
I would suggest only going heavy on the squat and deadlift once a week and the other day for speed pulls. Something like:

Day 1
Speed pulls 60% for 5x3
Dimel deads 2x10
3 upper back exercise

Day 2
SSB or Front Squats 2x5
Deficit or Floor Deads 1x5
Hamstring (2 exercises)
Abs

I bumped my dead over 600 for the first time with something similar.

This is basically what I did for almost a year. It works, but I just want to try something a little different.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:10 PM   #5
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn

Default More Thoughts on This

Trying to get more serious about strongman. Hoping to consistently do events through the winter time. So, starting Nov 1 I will be switching my days again, my current schedule does not seem great for recovery.

Sunday Events
Monday- Bench Press
Tuesday-light conditioning, recovery
Wednesday-Squats/sumo
Thursday-Hard Conditioning
Friday-Overhead Press
Saturday-DE Squats/ One week pin pulls, one week speed

Right now I have more of an interest in strongman. I am not ready to commit yet, I am thinking about another year. My plan is in the spring to pick a competition that occurs in late may and train specifically for that. Then I will see how I compare to the competitors, then I can decide from there if I am ready to compete.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:25 PM   #6
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn

Just throwing out some more ideas for my deads in the near future. I am leaning towards this-

Wednesday Heavy squats and sumo deads
Week 1 pull from floor
Week 2 deficit deads
Week 3 floor
Week 4 off mats
Will work up to a heavy single and then do 2-3 back off sets. The single will still only be 85-90% of my max. The deficit and mat pulls will be more off feel.

Saturdays DE Squats and some dead work
Week 1 Rack Pull
Week 2 Speed Deads
Week 3 Rack Pull
Week 3 Good Mornings
The rack pulls will be extremely low volume, basically work up to a near max attempt and that is it. It will be minimal volume on these days. And if I do not feel up to it, I can always just do speed deads.

I think this is something that I can keep for a while, and really see how it works. I like the coan cycle, but it is just too much!
Old 10-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I think that looks reasonable. I always liked starting my cycle with heavy floor pulls and then backing off as needed.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:02 PM   #8
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn

Thanks steve, I am going to give this a try, not sure which day will be which.

I am not sure if it is better to do my sumos on Saturdays and Rack pulls on Wednesdays, or the opposite.

Strongman is staying on Sundays, but as winter approaches, strongman may get somewhat limited. So sumos may be done on saturdays, but I can switch these days on a whim, without it really affecting my training
Old 10-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #9
nighttrain
Max Brawn
Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 20+
nighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beast

looks good to me J... but what the hell do i know
Old 10-09-2012, 08:27 PM   #10
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn

Thanks NT, gonna see how this plays out soon.