Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Getting started in powerlifting (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1109)

JesseA 11-02-2009 12:30 PM

Getting started in powerlifting

Is there some secret handshake, or hazing ritual that I am missing? I've been trying to figure out how to get into powerlifting, besides just training solo at my local gym and calling myself a powerlifter because I deadlift, bench and squat.

I would like to work up to a meet at some point ( I say some point because I feel that I need a better total than 1000 lbs at 181lb to compete).

Every other sport or activity seems to have such a great open and welcoming community, but I've reached out to a few local powerlifters in my area for advice/mentoring and gotten zero response. I'd prefer to not have to take an airplane on a weekly basis to train at a reputable gym.

Has anyone here actually competed in a powerlifting meet?

BendtheBar 11-02-2009 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesseA (Post 8800)
Is there some secret handshake, or hazing ritual that I am missing? I've been trying to figure out how to get into powerlifting, besides just training solo at my local gym and calling myself a powerlifter because I deadlift, bench and squat.

I would like to work up to a meet at some point ( I say some point because I feel that I need a better total than 1000 lbs at 181lb to compete).

Every other sport or activity seems to have such a great open and welcoming community, but I've reached out to a few local powerlifters in my area for advice/mentoring and gotten zero response. I'd prefer to not have to take an airplane on a weekly basis to train at a reputable gym.

I work with some of the natural federation heads and they can be busier then heck. And I've found that some of the bigger powerlifting forums aren't always the most pleasant. Heck, the hardest people for me to peg down for interviews are powerlifters. So you're not alone.

I know the guys here are experienced, and would love to help. Athletic Creator recently competed. BWYS is going to compete soon. Jwood trains for powerlifting. BodybyGamma has competed at least 4 times. I've been invited to compete in the natural worlds (though I didn't tell anyone).

Next year, God willing, I will be taking over as the raw/natural chair for Wisconsin. maybe you Minnesota guys can come down and mingle/compete/whatever.

Give us some Clifs' notes on where your lifts are at, and what type of movements your struggle with. And throw out all the questions you want. You'll get some helpful answers...I guarantee.

AthleteCreator 11-02-2009 12:45 PM

Hey, man. Who have you reached out to? I live downtown Minneapolis and everyone I've met that competes has been extremely helpful and nice. I usually workout at The Press in Little Canada (which is a ways for you).

I attempted to compete in September at the Twin Cities Open. It was held at The Press. I got hurt on my 3rd attempt in squat. Even if I hadn't, my total would have only been 1050-1100....somewhere around there. No one really gives a shit what your lifts are. Everyone is supportive and just wants you to make your lifts. It's really odd. It's like it's humans vs. the iron. All the humans want to dominate the iron, and if you miss an attempt the iron wins.

I was at the Hudson open this past weekend. Chatted up with a bunch of people that were at TCO. They all remembered me as "the guy that got hurt" eventhough it was only my first meet. lol

Sign up for the state open in February. It will hold you accountable and give you a reason to bust ass. A thousand pound total isn't too embarassaing, and you've still got 3.5 months to get stronger. Just do it.

bwys61 11-02-2009 12:55 PM

Reach to the right crowd. We are all going to help you out here.

I have trained others for powerlifting for over 5 years with 3 State Champions and a National Champion. I just recently got the bug to compete myself. I am happy to assist in any way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesseA (Post 8800)

thumpinos 11-02-2009 01:13 PM

Find some local guys that aren't asscakes. Most lifters I know are cool guys. One of the best ways to meet guys is by going to meets. Volunteer to help at a meet.

JesseA 11-02-2009 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuscleandBrawn (Post 8802)
I work with some of the natural federation heads and they can be busier then heck. And I've found that some of the bigger powerlifting forums aren't always the most pleasant. Heck, the hardest people for me to peg down for interviews are powerlifters. So you're not alone.

I know the guys here are experienced, and would love to help. Athletic Creator recently competed. BWYS is going to compete soon. Jwood trains for powerlifting. BodybyGamma has competed at least 4 times. I've been invited to compete in the natural worlds (though I didn't tell anyone).

Next year, God willing, I will be taking over as the raw/natural chair for Wisconsin. maybe you Minnesota guys can come down and mingle/compete/whatever.

Give us some Clifs' notes on where your lifts are at, and what type of movements your struggle with. And throw out all the questions you want. You'll get some helpful answers...I guarantee.

My current best lifts are as follows:
Bench: 235 (it's been a few months since I've tested 1RM, did 225x4 last week)
Deadlift: 415
Squat: ? (I can't even remember the last time I tested this. 295x4 last week, calculates out to about 330x1)

I am really looking to get some help with my form on all my lifts, but specifically my deadlift, I have trouble keeping good form on the heavy singles (shoulders come too far forward and losing my arch).

I think it would be helpful to lift with some experienced powerlifters to get some feedback on my form and technique. As there is nobody in my gym that I could ask for advice. (The personal trainer with the Bosu ball does not appear to have the expertise I am seeking)

BendtheBar 11-02-2009 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesseA (Post 8812)
My current best lifts are as follows:
Bench: 235 (it's been a few months since I've tested 1RM, did 225x4 last week)
Deadlift: 415
Squat: ? (I can't even remember the last time I tested this. 295x4 last week, calculates out to about 330x1)

I am really looking to get some help with my form on all my lifts, but specifically my deadlift, I have trouble keeping good form on the heavy singles (shoulders come too far forward and losing my arch).

I think it would be helpful to lift with some experienced powerlifters to get some feedback on my form and technique. As there is nobody in my gym that I could ask for advice. (The personal trainer with the Bosu ball does not appear to have the expertise I am seeking)

Those are good numbers. You're well on your way.

Here's my quick and easy deadlift setup:

Quote:

Place your feet under the bar so that from a side view, the bar “cuts” through the center of each foot. Keep a natural foot positioning. Generally, your toes will be pointed very slightly outward. Reach down and grab the bar with an alternating hand grip. Next, sink your hips until your shins touch the bar. Thrust your chest forward, tighten your upper and lower back, and lock your arms. Look slightly above the horizon, and stand up, keeping your back tight.
This is an easily replicated setup. Just make sure yours arms are locked. Most inexperienced lifters don't keep their arms locked, and they jerk from the bottom, and their hips rise.

Just remember:

--Feet halfway under bar
--Grab bar
--Sink hips until shins touch bar
--Thrust chest out/lock back
--Head up
--Stand up and "fall back"

This is by no means a complete primer, but it is a great start for very good form.

JesseA 11-02-2009 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AthleteCreator (Post 8805)
Hey, man. Who have you reached out to? I live downtown Minneapolis and everyone I've met that competes has been extremely helpful and nice. I usually workout at The Press in Little Canada (which is a ways for you).

I attempted to compete in September at the Twin Cities Open. It was held at The Press. I got hurt on my 3rd attempt in squat. Even if I hadn't, my total would have only been 1050-1100....somewhere around there. No one really gives a shit what your lifts are. Everyone is supportive and just wants you to make your lifts. It's really odd. It's like it's humans vs. the iron. All the humans want to dominate the iron, and if you miss an attempt the iron wins.

I was at the Hudson open this past weekend. Chatted up with a bunch of people that were at TCO. They all remembered me as "the guy that got hurt" eventhough it was only my first meet. lol

Sign up for the state open in February. It will hold you accountable and give you a reason to bust ass. A thousand pound total isn't too embarassaing, and you've still got 3.5 months to get stronger. Just do it.

I was just reading up on the TCO, I should just register, I read through the rules on the USAPL site, seems pretty straightforward. I think I'd be in the Open RAW class. Are wrist wraps and knee sleeves very helpful? The only other thing I would need is a singlet I guess, and probably a massive load of caffeine.

I don't really want to name names to who I reached out to, but they were listed as contacts for a couple of private powerlifting gyms in the south metro. so you could probably figure it out.

I'm just assuming they are busy and not bitchy. I know if someone asked me about programming and how to get started I would be more than willing give them a plethora of resources and guidance.

BendtheBar 11-02-2009 02:17 PM

Here's my bench advice:

Stand erect and raise your arms to a 45 degree angle from your sides. This is how wide your grip is, and about where you should be pressing to. It will seem odd to press below the chest, but it is a better groove and will save your shoulders.

When you grip the bar, lift up and contract your shoulder blades together. Bring them down, trying to rest on your upper back, and keeping your lower back arched. Keep your upper back tight during the lift...this shortens the stroke.

Unrack and lower to the proper spot below the chest. Begin the movement with leg drive.

Where do you stick on bench presses? Off the chest? A few inches up?

One of the best things you can do to boost your bench is start hammering your triceps with heavy weight. Closegrip bench presses are now your best friend.

JesseA 11-02-2009 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuscleandBrawn (Post 8814)
Those are good numbers. You're well on your way.

Here's my quick and easy deadlift setup:

This is an easily replicated setup. Just make sure yours arms are locked. Most inexperienced lifters don't keep their arms locked, and they jerk from the bottom, and their hips rise.

Just remember:

--Feet halfway under bar
--Grab bar
--Sink hips until shins touch bar
--Thrust chest out/lock back
--Head up
--Stand up and "fall back"

This is by no means a complete primer, but it is a great start for very good form.

Good tips. I prefer sumo stance when deadlifting, I recently found this article that has some really good info:
How to Deadlift, Deadlifting Techniques | Diesel Crew - Muscle Building, Athletic Development, Strength Training

I think what gets me on my 1RM deadlift is getting stuck at the bottom, my hips start to rise first and it becomes more of an RDL. I think I need to start doing some deficit DL's to help with pull off the ground. Also, I feel that my squat should go up quite a bit more to help, I've noticed that a lot of lifters squat is much higher than their deadlifts, which has led me to believe that my squat #'s are way too low.

When using a wide 'powerlifting' stance for my squat, my hip flexors feel super tight at the bottom of the squat, I'm not really sure what to do to address that. Is a wide squat stance only useful for geared lifters?