Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:29 PM   #11
JesseA
Über Member
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,369, Level: 36 Points: 3,369, Level: 36 Points: 3,369, Level: 36
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

JesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleandBrawn View Post
Here's my bench advice:

Where do you stick on bench presses? Off the chest? A few inches up?
Last time I missed a bench, it was about two inches off the chest.

From what I've read about powerlifting meet rules, I need to incorporate a long pause at the bottom, which I think would add quite a bit of a challenge from my typical light touch on my sternum and push. There is a bench video from Dave Tate that helped me adjust my form/technique to more like you are talking about and it's helped quite a bit in moving my numbers up.
JesseA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2009, 02:33 PM   #12
AthleteCreator
Trollin'
Uber Brawn
Points: 962, Level: 16 Points: 962, Level: 16 Points: 962, Level: 16

AthleteCreator is new to the forumAthleteCreator is new to the forum

Using an ultra-wide squat stance without a suit or briefs will murder your hips. If you're squatting raw (which you are), you want your feet slightly wider than shoulder width.

Weakness at the bottom usually means weak glutes and hams. Hit some glute ham raises and deficit DL's like you said.

I'm gonna guess you tried twin cities barbell. I emailed the guy a couple times and he was very short with me. I'd say to get in a weekend session up at The Press every week. We may even run into eachother.

Edit - Just saw your added post on benching. The "pause" is no defined length of time, it's whenever the judge sees that the bar has come to a complete rest. You really only need to work on that leading up to the meet. Until then, just focus on increasing weight, but be mindful that you're going to need extra work to "get out of the hole".

There is nothing "smart" about a 3rd attempt deadlift.

Last edited by AthleteCreator; 11-02-2009 at 02:35 PM.
AthleteCreator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:45 PM   #13
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseA View Post
Last time I missed a bench, it was about two inches off the chest.

From what I've read about powerlifting meet rules, I need to incorporate a long pause at the bottom, which I think would add quite a bit of a challenge from my typical light touch on my sternum and push. There is a bench video from Dave Tate that helped me adjust my form/technique to more like you are talking about and it's helped quite a bit in moving my numbers up.
Many people attack the "pause" differently. I train heavy and don't worry about it. Some people will train with a pause on every rep. Either way, get strong and come meet time, start under your max with your first bench.

One thing I forgot about benching is to grip the bar like you're trying to bend it from the ends towards your feet.

Dave tate taught me a lot about benching. There's video on the forum about "bending the bar". Let me dig it up.

BTW, if you're sticking a couple inches up, time for 1,2 and 3 board presses, pin presses, etc.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:46 PM   #14
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Watch this video from the Diesel Crew on benching:

They mention getting sore from benching. When I learned proper technique, I could suddenly start to get bicep pumps while benching ...I was working more muscles then chest.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 11-02-2009 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:01 PM   #15
JesseA
Über Member
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,369, Level: 36 Points: 3,369, Level: 36 Points: 3,369, Level: 36

JesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AthleteCreator View Post
Using an ultra-wide squat stance without a suit or briefs will murder your hips. If you're squatting raw (which you are), you want your feet slightly wider than shoulder width.

Weakness at the bottom usually means weak glutes and hams. Hit some glute ham raises and deficit DL's like you said.

I'm gonna guess you tried twin cities barbell. I emailed the guy a couple times and he was very short with me. I'd say to get in a weekend session up at The Press every week. We may even run into eachother.

Edit - Just saw your added post on benching. The "pause" is no defined length of time, it's whenever the judge sees that the bar has come to a complete rest. You really only need to work on that leading up to the meet. Until then, just focus on increasing weight, but be mindful that you're going to need extra work to "get out of the hole".
I was beginning to think that wide squats were a geared-only technique. I do like a slightly wider than shoulder width stance. Does The Press gym has a GHR? I'd make the trip up there for that alone! I was contemplating buying one for my home.

I work in Lake Elmo, so I'm not too far away from The Press. How does that work, do you get a day-pass or do you need a membership?

Thanks for the info on the bench pause. I've been doing some experimentation with some accessory bench work to build up on holding and bursting out of the hole.
JesseA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:09 PM   #16
AthleteCreator
Trollin'
Uber Brawn

The Press has GHR and a reverse hypers amongst other wicked awesome powerlifting toys.

They have day passes, punch cards, or monthly memberships. There's no paperwork or anything. Go in, pay your money, get your lift on.

Yup, accessory lifts are what I meant by "be mindful". I use my bench sessions to increase my bench, but the accessory lifts to help the other parts: the hole and the lockout.

I'm a huge fan of plyo push-ups and pin press. For lockout, there's nothing better than board press and reverse band.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:17 PM   #17
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseA View Post
I prefer sumo stance when deadlifting,

When using a wide 'powerlifting' stance for my squat, my hip flexors feel super tight at the bottom of the squat, I'm not really sure what to do to address that. Is a wide squat stance only useful for geared lifters?
Wide stance isn't for everyone, but it depends on eacc person's body. They give me knee issues, so I train more narrow now after nearly 2 years wide. I DO train good mornings very wide though.

If you like sumo, check out John Christy's sumo video...good stuff...I'm sending this to Jwood this week.

Real Strength Real Muscle | Online Store Powered by Storenvy

Old 11-02-2009, 04:21 PM   #18
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

I do not have the experience that most of these guys have, but I do train for powerlifting and I plan to compete after I am done playing rugby. Which will be this spring sometime.

I do pretty wide stance squats, I feel a lot stronger wide, and for me it is easier to get out of the hole. I do not know if this is just because this is how I train squats or it is my body. Box squats have been the key to my lifting success. They taught how far down I have to go to hit parallel and also really helped my hip strength.

I recently became obsessed with jump stretch bands, and I think that the speed days for both bench and squat have significantly helped all my lifts and taught me how to explode out of the bottom. As far as pausing at the bottom I would not worry about that too much, and just focus on upping your weight in the bench and pounding your triceps. If you have not done a lot of board presses you will probably love them, because you can put some extra weight on.
jwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:28 PM   #19
AthleteCreator
Trollin'
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood View Post
If you have not done a lot of board presses you will probably love them, because you can put some extra weight on.

That's why I love, love, love, love, LOVE reverse band bench. LOL

Nothing feels better than throwing on an extra 50lb. more than your 1RM and being able to press it. Great for your psychy as well!

Old 11-02-2009, 04:33 PM   #20
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AthleteCreator View Post
That's why I love, love, love, love, LOVE reverse band bench. LOL

Nothing feels better than throwing on an extra 50lb. more than your 1RM and being able to press it. Great for your psychy as well!
This is so true, the first time I did 2 board press I was able to put on an extra 30 pounds above my bench PR and crush it. I was jacked up for days after that lift!
jwood is online now   Reply With Quote