Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:10 PM   #21
JesseA
Über Member
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,369, Level: 36 Points: 3,369, Level: 36 Points: 3,369, Level: 36
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

JesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood View Post
This is so true, the first time I did 2 board press I was able to put on an extra 30 pounds above my bench PR and crush it. I was jacked up for days after that lift!
Sounds like I need to do some board presses! Only problem is that I don't have a training partner, so is there any way to accomplish this without trying to balance something on my chest while benching? Would I just need to setup a bench in the rack and set the pins a couple inches off my chest?
JesseA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2009, 06:40 PM   #22
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseA View Post
Sounds like I need to do some board presses! Only problem is that I don't have a training partner, so is there any way to accomplish this without trying to balance something on my chest while benching? Would I just need to setup a bench in the rack and set the pins a couple inches off my chest?
I board press without a partner. I use a big belt to hold a long chunk of 3x3 wood in place. I set the rack pins just so...so that if I fail, the bar will rest on the rack and I won't die.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:46 PM   #23
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleandBrawn View Post
I board press without a partner. I use a big belt to hold a long chunk of 3x3 wood in place. I set the rack pins just so...so that if I fail, the bar will rest on the rack and I won't die.

That sounds like a good technique to me!
jwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:13 PM   #24
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood View Post
That sounds like a good technique to me!
It works good, but you do have to be careful when hitting down...it is easy to whack the board up into your chin.

Not that I've ever done that before...cough, cough...chipped a tooth.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:44 PM   #25
JesseA
Über Member
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,369, Level: 36 Points: 3,369, Level: 36 Points: 3,369, Level: 36

JesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleandBrawn View Post

I like the part where you don't die.
JesseA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:28 AM   #26
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
I like the part where you don't die.
Thanks my favorite part too

Old 11-03-2009, 09:39 AM   #27
swoleramon
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,568, Level: 37 Points: 3,568, Level: 37 Points: 3,568, Level: 37
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

swoleramon is new to the forumswoleramon is new to the forum

What's your training split look like Jesse?
Old 11-03-2009, 09:51 AM   #28
bwys61
Austin Simply Fit #1
Max Brawn
Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 15+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Caffeine
bwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machine

use micro-mini bands or mini bands to hold the boards in place. works well

Quote:
bwys61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 01:13 AM   #29
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Jesse you in luck as deadlift is my best lift but first the basics.

When getting ready for a meet, I like to hit numbers heavier then the weight I plan on lifting for a partial range of motions, so that my Central nervous system doesn't get fired and I can prepare it for the big lifts. Lifting for one rep maxes form sometimes goes out the window on what you think is good and what actually works. Now when lifting raw, partial movements don't help as much so I suggest just hitting them in max effort sparingly. Trick is to strengthen everything then use assistance work to hit weakness.

Now how you set this up all depends on your resources. I go to a pretty stacked gym complete with rubber matts,boards,bands, chains, monolift,safety chain suspensions,power rack, forza bench, olympic platform, all types of bars, plates,etc... plus some strongman equipment.

When training by yourself you need a good power rack to bench and squat safely in. To board bench by yourself you can slip it under your shirt, and use many things to hold it in place. Train smart and safe and you will be ok.

But I am getting ahead of myself , best advice you will ever get, ever... ready for it? are your sure ok. Here it is :

FILM YOUR LIFTS We are all built differently and our bodies and techniques don't always work the same as someone elses' although all the advice I read here so far is good. If you want advice on form, get us some videos from the side angle so we can pin point weakness.

Give us a full list of stats, your weight,height, how your split looks like, when is the meet you are looking to do, and your goals as far as do I want to be strong at these 3 lifts or do I want to be stronger in general. If you are worrying about your form you may have to scale back your training and better develop it.

Personally I would say do wendlers 5/3/1 since its safe effective and will give your time to develop your strength and technique,with the slight variation on week 3 do heavy m/e partial movements and focus on speed and tech on week 4 for deloading.

Last edited by Bodybygamma; 11-04-2009 at 01:18 AM.
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:53 AM   #30
AthleteCreator
Trollin'
Uber Brawn
Points: 962, Level: 16 Points: 962, Level: 16 Points: 962, Level: 16

AthleteCreator is new to the forumAthleteCreator is new to the forum

This doesn't really belong in this thread, but I sure as hell wasn't going to start a new one just to say this. So....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AthleteCreator View Post
That's why I love, love, love, love, LOVE reverse band bench. LOL

Nothing feels better than throwing on an extra 50lb. more than your 1RM and being able to press it. Great for your psychy as well!
I did m/e bench last night and finished bench with a single at 275.

Next up was reverse band. I did heavy singles supersetted with narrow med ball push-ups. I managed to finish reverse bands with 330 for a single. woot!

/threadjack

There is nothing "smart" about a 3rd attempt deadlift.
AthleteCreator is offline   Reply With Quote