Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:57 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Squat - hips back before squatting

I see guys moving their hips back before they initiate the squat, and leaning more forward. 9 times out of 10 then end up with a more good-morning style squat because of it.

Who are people picking this up from? I see it far too frequently for it to be random.

Here is an example. It's a mild one. Many are much more exaggerated with greater forward lean.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 09-10-2012 at 09:59 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #2
RobMoriRB
Max Brawn
Points: 10,240, Level: 67 Points: 10,240, Level: 67 Points: 10,240, Level: 67
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Mutant Mass
RobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master member

they are going to tear something pretty bad, which is bad to say....Someone needs to get their trainers slapped around
Dead Lift:455/500/?

Master Goal: Compete in 1 Lifting Sport!!! Completed Nov 16th 2014

Block Program:http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums...ad.php?t=17576
BLOG:http://theanimalmethod.wordpress.com/
RobMoriRB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:24 AM   #3
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

My opinion...

Starting the hips back at the start of the squat is fine.
Letting the hips rise first on the way up is BAD juju.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

My issue isn't so much with the hips going back, but the resulting starting position of the squat. Most of the time the head is moved forward, and with it the barbell moves forward past the center of the foot.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:11 AM   #5
kitarpyar
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Type: Fullbody
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
My issue isn't so much with the hips going back, but the resulting starting position of the squat. Most of the time the head is moved forward, and with it the barbell moves forward past the center of the foot.

I tried to squat yesterday with the hips set back. It almost automatically resulted in the head going forward. I noticed it in the first couple of reps and reverted back to my earlier stance. It takes a pretty conscious effort for those not used to this, to get in the starting position with an appropriate curvature of the spine instead of leaning forward.

I believe a lot of this could be due to Ripp's videos, where he asks the lifters to lock their lumbar in a good position - often involves the hips going back. This advice then ends up getting distorted. For the uninitiated (happened to me), who dont know how to get their spine in the proper position, the set up could get messed up, since instead of sticking the butt out in proper position, its quite easy to end up leaning a bit forward. Hope I am making some sense, lol.

Going down to lighter weights, this is one of the things I am working on.
kitarpyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:16 AM   #6
ravimolasaria
Max Brawn
Points: 27,548, Level: 98 Points: 27,548, Level: 98 Points: 27,548, Level: 98
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Training Exp: 10
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Whatever makes me strong
ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!

one of the main causes of lower back injury ...
Old 09-10-2012, 11:24 AM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Thanks Kit, and thanks for sharing that. It shines the light on the need for practice, and the importance of not using one form pointer at the expense of another.

I've seen a couple videos recently with the "hip shove" much more exaggerated than this, resulting in the bar moving forward quite a bit. This puts the lifter in a precarious position, placing a greater degree of stress on the lower back, and usually turns a squat into a pseudo-good morning

Here we can see Ripp doing it, but it's a natural part of the squat movement and not a precursor The barbell stays over the center of his feet:

Old 09-10-2012, 11:26 AM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Interesting what Ripp says about lifting the chest, hamstring tightness and knees. I think it can be applied to deadlifting as well, and why some deadlifters get the knees forward and get under the bar in a hitch position. Hip drive, hip drive.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #9
ravimolasaria
Max Brawn
Points: 27,548, Level: 98 Points: 27,548, Level: 98 Points: 27,548, Level: 98
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Training Exp: 10
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Whatever makes me strong
ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Thanks Kit, and thanks for sharing that. It shines the light on the need for practice, and the importance of not using one form pointer at the expense of another.

I've seen a couple videos recently with the "hip shove" much more exaggerated than this, resulting in the bar moving forward quite a bit. This puts the lifter in a precarious position, placing a greater degree of stress on the lower back, and usually turns a squat into a pseudo-good morning

Here we can see Ripp doing it, but it's a natural part of the squat movement and not a precursor The barbell stays over the center of his feet:
But if you are not an experienced lifter then a slight forward movement from this angle can create problems. It will become very difficult to draw the line between "Squat" and "Squat with GM". As Rob pointed out that their trainers should be slapped very hard ...
Old 09-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #10
Beverly McD
Max Brawn
Points: 2,218, Level: 28 Points: 2,218, Level: 28 Points: 2,218, Level: 28
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: Since 1987
Training Type: Powerlifting
Beverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machine

Check his knees (first post).
It's not hips going back that is a problem. It's knee's going forward that's the problem.
It's hips back, knee's out. If the knee's are driving out hard enough they won't be going forward over the toe's. Which helps take out a lot of that forward lean, and keeps the back flat and vertical.
Beverly McD is offline   Reply With Quote