Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #11
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Good point. Piggybacking this with what Rippetoe said, knees forward would also comprise hamstring tightness - if I am understanding what he said correctly.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #12
JTurner
Max Brawn
Points: 7,933, Level: 59 Points: 7,933, Level: 59 Points: 7,933, Level: 59
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 2+ Years
Fav Exercise: BTNPP
Fav Supp: Beef
JTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Good point. Piggybacking this with what Rippetoe said, knees forward would also comprise hamstring tightness - if I am understanding what he said correctly.
Ye this is something that helped me, keeping the tension on the hams keeps my knees back and feel a lot better squatting. Also looking down and forcing my shoulders into the bar as opposed to head back and around the bar has made a huge difference with locking my back in a decent position before squatting and avoiding the forward lean in the hole.

In regards to the first video, I think his problems come from his foot position. Looks to me like he's trying to go wide stance without turning the toes out like Dave Tate teaches. I find it near impossible to force the knees out like that and the hips lock up, that can pull at the torso and also forces the knees forward to make depth.

I could easily be wrong.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:01 PM   #13
Kuytrider
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

I am guilty of leaning too far forward when getting near my max either in weight or rep terms. Also guilty of starting the descent with the knees, working hard to fix it. I do keep the bar over the middle of the feet though.

Getting it done one session at a time.
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #14
WilldBill88
King of The Cowboys
Max Brawn
Points: 5,489, Level: 47 Points: 5,489, Level: 47 Points: 5,489, Level: 47
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 2 Years
Fav Supp: Food
WilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beast

I think my squat looks like Ripptoes except I keep my head up. I almost feel I might look a little like the first guy towards the end of my working sets but, the personal trainers at my gym say my squat looks pretty good... Atleast I hope I'm doing it right!
Old 09-10-2012, 12:06 PM   #15
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTurner View Post

In regards to the first video, I think his problems come from his foot position. Looks to me like he's trying to go wide stance without turning the toes out like Dave Tate teaches.
Perhaps he watched the Louie video that references wide stance toes in. Starts around 3:50-ish.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:11 PM   #16
JTurner
Max Brawn
Points: 7,933, Level: 59 Points: 7,933, Level: 59 Points: 7,933, Level: 59
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 2+ Years
Fav Exercise: BTNPP
Fav Supp: Beef
JTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beast

Quote:
Perhaps he watched the Louie video that references wide stance toes in. Starts around 3:50-ish.
This is what I was thinking, I can squat like that but it pulls my knees in and puts crazy amounts of torque on my hips and knees.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:16 PM   #17
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

I can't squat toes in, wide stance.

I also am not a fan of beginning lifters getting all squat funkadelic and trying things like this before they build a strong base. I'd rather see them work with a natural stance, improve form and build a strength base.

But hey, I'm just a grumpy old man, so mileage may vary.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:17 PM   #18
Bill
Max Brawn
Points: 4,062, Level: 40 Points: 4,062, Level: 40 Points: 4,062, Level: 40
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Bill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTurner View Post
This is what I was thinking, I can squat like that but it pulls my knees in and puts crazy amounts of torque on my hips and knees.

Elitefts.com: LTT-TV - Squat Foot Position - YouTube
ditto. i can't internally rotate my legs much at all.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:48 PM   #19
Hazzard
Max Brawn
Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Pizza
Hazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good posts

Haha, this is exactly how I squat! Bad times...
Old 09-10-2012, 05:18 PM   #20
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member
Default Thank geared lifts for teaching $hitty squat form

Quote:
I see guys moving their hips back before they initiate the squat, and leaning more forward. 9 times out of 10 then end up with a more good-morning style squat because of it.

Who are people picking this up from? I see it far too frequently for it to be random.

Here is an example. It's a mild one. Many are much more exaggerated with greater forward lean.

225 squat with green bands for 3 @145bw - YouTube
You can thank Westside and Supertrainingand all the geared lifters alike who can't raw squat for $hit who advocate breaking out their hips so they can dunk into there suit and let the suit do the whole negative phase.
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote