Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Old lumbar injuries (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10986)

Iamnoone 08-31-2012 07:03 PM

Old lumbar injuries

I have started lifting again and am about to start the big three lifts.
I have had back injuries in the past and was wondering if you would
recommend wearing a belt or just work on good form?
I had a Sheik belt in the past but can no longer find it.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

bamazav 08-31-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iamnoone (Post 272946)
I have started lifting again and am about to start the big three lifts.
I have had back injuries in the past and was wondering if you would
recommend wearing a belt or just work on good form?
I had a Sheik belt in the past but can no longer find it.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

As one currently nursing an aggravated past injury, I can sympathize. I would recommend starting beltless and light and focus on form. Get the form down before starting to go heavy. You know your body best, if you feel you need the belt, wear it. Until then, don't, build your core.

BendtheBar 08-31-2012 11:18 PM

I agree with Bam. Get the form down. Take videos and post them help We'll help you get on track. No sense going heavy too fast, too soon.

I don't know enough about back injuries and belts, so I will let others comment on that issue.

5kgLifter 09-01-2012 11:35 AM

Form first, belt later (if at all); good form is essential as bad form even with a belt will just exponentially increase the injury should you suffer one...bad form with a belt forces even more stress on the lumbar discs due extra to the intra-abdominal pressure already present.

That's what I read anyway; not sure if the wording is precise but you get the gist :)

Iamnoone 09-01-2012 09:03 PM

Thanks for the great advice. Will use it and work on that form!

bamazav 09-02-2012 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iamnoone (Post 273183)
Thanks for the great advice. Will use it and work on that form!

This is one of those issues you will find yourself having to work around throughout your lifting career. Don't be afraid to look at alternatives. I rotate the style of squats I do, as extended back squats inevitably catch up to me. Make use of front squats, zerchers, BB hacks, Jeffersons and belt squats as well as the lunge variations. I do mostly rack pulls as I have found conventional deads bother my back more. Some find that sumo deads are easier on the back. You might also look into a trap bar, I know I am, as this too allows you to keep a straighter back. Consider chest supported back work also. There are ways to work around this type injury, you just have to be smart about it.