Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   531: BBB vs triumvirate vs periodization bible? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10903)

strengthseeker 08-21-2012 10:15 PM

531: BBB vs triumvirate vs periodization bible?

In wendlers book he says use his principles to develop you're own routine, then he goes on to say "dont **** with this program or you're not doing 531".

Anyways, it warrants the question which you guys prefer? The differences of each? How have you slightly altered your 531 routine, and can i combine BBB with the periodization bible?

One other thing. The very first month of this cycle seems easy, much too easy. I know its supposed to start light, but its odd not feeling stimulated.

IronManlet 08-21-2012 10:34 PM

No experience with 5/3/1 myself, but if I were going to do it I'd try the "I Ain't Doin' Jack Shit" routine. :cool:

BigJosh 08-21-2012 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strengthseeker (Post 270254)
In wendlers book he says use his principles to develop you're own routine, then he goes on to say "dont **** with this program or you're not doing 531".

I think you are taking this quote out of context. Yes, he stresses that you shouldn't screw with the basic 531 principles on the main lifts, but he stresses even more that you shouldn't stress over the assistance work. Specifically saying (more than once I believe) that too many people major in the minors, meaning too many people focus too much on the assistance work.
Quote:

Anyways, it warrants the question which you guys prefer? The differences of each? How have you slightly altered your 531 routine, and can i combine BBB with the periodization bible?

I've done a "periodization bible" assistance template, and I'm currently doing BBB. They're both good. Pick one and do it for a few cycles. Then do the other for a few cycles. You should use this routine for many months so there will be plenty of time to try different assistance programs.
You can alter it if you want. As wendler says, this won't make or break the program. Really though, why would you alter it without trying it?
Quote:

One other thing. The very first month of this cycle seems easy, much too easy. I know its supposed to start light, but its odd not feeling stimulated.

Did you really read the book?

***edit*** I apologize if that last part sounded rude, but Wendler clearly covers your last question in his book.

BigJosh 08-21-2012 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronManlet (Post 270255)
No experience with 5/3/1 myself, but if I were going to do it I'd try the "I Ain't Doin' Jack Shit" routine. :cool:

HAHA. Lazy ass!
Just kidding.

IronManlet 08-21-2012 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJosh (Post 270259)
HAHA. Lazy ass!
Just kidding.

hahaha No seriously, that's one of his templates. You do the main lifts, and nothing else.

It's awesome.

Off Road 08-21-2012 11:12 PM

Josh is right on the money. Wendler suggests running an assistance template for three cycles and then switch to a different one for the next 3 month cycle. Keep rotating through four different templates to keep from stalling.

BigJosh 08-21-2012 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronManlet (Post 270261)
hahaha No seriously, that's one of his templates. You do the main lifts, and nothing else.

It's awesome.

Yeah I know. I was just giving you a hard time. Really that's what is beautiful about 531. If you just did the main lifts, you would still get stronger and probably still get bigger.
In the end the assistance is just there to compliment.

IronManlet 08-21-2012 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJosh (Post 270267)
Yeah I know. I was just giving you a hard time. Really that's what is beautiful about 531. If you just did the main lifts, you would still get stronger and probably still get bigger.
In the end the assistance is just there to compliment.

But then, that's true with all strength routines - basics work best.

BendtheBar 08-22-2012 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Off Road (Post 270262)
Josh is right on the money. Wendler suggests running an assistance template for three cycles and then switch to a different one for the next 3 month cycle. Keep rotating through four different templates to keep from stalling.

Interesting. Did not know that.

Off Road 08-22-2012 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 270313)
Interesting. Did not know that.

Gives you one year of rotations and then you revisit them again. He suggest something like; Boring But Big, Triumvirate, Full Body, 2 Day with focus on conditioning goals.