Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Forget all that you know!

This just in:

Dear Steve,

Quote:
The author of CONVICT CONDITIONING has gone to great lengths to explain the history of human strength training and how all these free weights and fitness machines are complete bullshit.

Today's 'bodybuilding' school of fitness is just another by product of the industrial revolution and TRUE strength can ONLY come from things like one arm pushups/pullups, and the like. Very compelling read, I've been lifting for 6 years and i have now sworn off weights after reading this book!
Alas, he have it all wrong.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Yeah, I've read about the book a few times and come across a few reviews...an excerpt from one person:

VIEW: Weights are not used in nature, so as you are never exposed to them in nature you should not be exposed to them in training.

RESPONSE: This is false. Letís give some examples. I want to move a big rock, itís in my way. I pick it up! I meet an awful guy who comes into my house & wants to abuse my family. I fight him, throw him about a bit, lift him up & chuck him out of my home! My friend falls off a cliff, heís hanging on for dear life, I grab his arm & rescue him. Iím a hero! In nature you carry children, sick people to safety, food & supplies...the list is endless & humans have done it since we first became upright. Carrying stuff, moving stuff, even heavy stuff is as nature to a human as moving their own body.

Vegan Bodybuilding: REVIEW: Convict Conditioning by Paul Wade
Old 08-20-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:37 PM   #4
JacktheThriller
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,833, Level: 25 Points: 1,833, Level: 25 Points: 1,833, Level: 25
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 5 years consistent
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Fish Oil
JacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributor

thats why the strongest people lift weights lol they must be doing pushups when no one is looking for that real strength. WTF is true strength lol. Guess what pal things like the pushup and pullup arent natural. Its called pushing and pulling in nature. What a dunce.
JacktheThriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
moeheep
Max Brawn
Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: 1.5 years
Fav Exercise: DEADS
Fav Supp: Condense
moeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite member

I realize I am not the smartest guy in the world...but when I read crap like this...I feel a WHOLE lot better about state of my intelligence.......NOW, to get back to the 2468 diet I just started......
moeheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:00 PM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeheep View Post
.NOW, to get back to the 2468 diet I just started......
That cracked me up right there.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:44 AM   #7
moeheep
Max Brawn
Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: 1.5 years
Fav Exercise: DEADS
Fav Supp: Condense
moeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
That cracked me up right there.
Glad I made you smile !!
moeheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:50 AM   #8
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacktheThriller View Post
. Guess what pal things like the pushup and pullup arent natural. Its called pushing and pulling in nature. What a dunce.
Yeah, that's what struck me. In what natural circumstance would someone do a one-handed handstand push up?

But if the extravagant claims are stripped away, or claims about 'what's 'natural', maybe there are some good workout ideas in there.

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232
Tannhauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:03 AM   #9
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
Yeah, that's what struck me. In what natural circumstance would someone do a one-handed handstand push up?

But if the extravagant claims are stripped away, or claims about 'what's 'natural', maybe there are some good workout ideas in there.
Yeah, from what I gather, it's a good book for bodyweight exercise and certainly ideal for anyone on the road, holiday and so forth, my only issue with some bodyweight exercises is the amount of time that would need to be dedicated to it just to get the hang of it, let alone for reps.

Pistol squats, for example, I'd probably spend a lifetime just trying to balance and learn it whereas a barbell squat I can get on with immediately.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:57 PM   #10
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

***OFF TOPIC***

Is it just me, or does moeheep have the coolest avitar? With the weight bench in the background it looks like you have a synth arm. I absolutely love it!!!

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote