Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   chins, shrugs, abs & calves three times a week? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10866)

strengthseeker 08-16-2012 10:03 PM

chins, shrugs, abs & calves three times a week?

Just finished reading 531. Wendler was saying you can do calves 3 times a week for a set of 50 reps. Also how you should do 100 reps of chins for 1 week. Just remembering various articles on how abs and shrugs can be done just as often.

Where do you guys stand on this? After the main lift and assistance exercises you do one set of 20-50 reps of chins, shrugs, abs and calves? Overkill? Stupid question?

IronManlet 08-16-2012 10:11 PM

Set of 50-rep shrugs won't do jack for your traps.

BigJosh 08-16-2012 10:16 PM

I've found that if you want to be big and strong, following Wendler's advice is in your best interest.

Off Road 08-16-2012 10:50 PM

I've seen him recomend splitting the chins into several sets and to do them in-between the press sets. You have six sets of presses to do, so you could split them into six sets to get them done.

Shrugs, why bother?
Calves, whenever you want.

BigJosh 08-16-2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Off Road (Post 268945)
Shrugs, why bother?

Because you will get bigger and stronger Traps by doing them as an assistance exercise than you would by just doing deadlifts alone.

IronManlet 08-16-2012 11:42 PM

Quote:

Shrugs, why bother?

Most of the time there's no reason to; but that's because hardly anyone loads them up like you should.

Shrugs should be done HEAVY - with weights much heavier than what you can deadlift.

Fazc 08-17-2012 06:36 AM

Quote:

Shrugs, why bother?

I tend to agree.

I did them for a while but ended up around 600lbs pretty quickly. If you're going to do them effectively they need to be heavy, but my thinking is that if I have the energy to load up the bar up to 600lbs then I obviously left something in the tank on Deadlifts. So why don't I just do more deadlifts?

Just my 2 cents, and why I stopped doing them. Nowadays deadlifts with very heavy band tension just do so much more for my traps then shrugs ever did and for lifters they're far more lift specific. So I'm sticking with them.

If we're talking rearward shrugs, scapulae/kelso shrugs then I'm all for them. They serve a specific purpose which isn't necessarily served by deadlifts or rows so they're useful.

big_swede 08-17-2012 08:46 AM

I did pullups or chins between all sets of presses for a while and it was good. I shrugged myself into oblivion for a while and ended up with over 400kgs on the bar for reps, then I started to overhead press more often and cut out the shrugs and my trapz started growing.

I think the calves and chins can be worked daily if you wish to.

5kgLifter 08-17-2012 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strengthseeker (Post 268932)
Just finished reading 531. Wendler was saying you can do calves 3 times a week for a set of 50 reps. Also how you should do 100 reps of chins for 1 week. Just remembering various articles on how abs and shrugs can be done just as often.

Where do you guys stand on this? After the main lift and assistance exercises you do one set of 20-50 reps of chins, shrugs, abs and calves? Overkill? Stupid question?

Calves are a really dense muscle group because of their use in everday walking activities and such, so it stands to reason they can take more of a pounding than most of us give them credit for...they also need heavy and/or more endurance specific work or even a mix, for them to respond well. Trial and error on that one.

muscle_g 08-17-2012 09:42 AM

I have done calves up to 4 times a week and I liked it, abs 6 days a week, upper back/lats 4 days a week(2 heavy, 2 light). It can be done!! Your body can handle more work then the average gym rat thinks it can.