Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
Davis
Max Brawn
Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 1 day
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: More deadlifts
Davis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beast
Default Deadlifts killing my squat?

Around a month ago I went from squatting nearly 400 to hitting a triple with 315 is very hard. I don't know what's been going on. I know that when I deadlift(Friday. I squat on Monday) I have been killing the volume and weight with deads and good mornings and a bit of extra upper back work. At first I thought it was sleep, but I've been getting more sleep and I'm still having the same problem. Maybe it's eating? Although...

My bench press is going back up from the slight injury I had. I believe it will soon be stronger than it was before. My deadlift is going up. My press is going up a bit and subsequently, my push press.

Here's my thing: I don't want to cut back on my deadlifting volume. I enjoy working up to a heavy triple(and as this past month, 3x3 with the same weight) and/or a single or two. I love it.

Solution: What to do? Deadlift less and/or eat more? Yes, I have answered my question with two possibilities, but I want suggestions of more experienced lifters to see if there's something I can do besides simply eat more. I don't have the money to feed myself a whole lot more right now and it doesn't help that my mom has been doing crossfit and dieting these past few months which means we have a lot less food than we used to. (and strangely enough, less meat)
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Can you outline a typical week, with sets/reps etc.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:30 PM   #3
Davis
Max Brawn

Davis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beast

Monday: Squats up to a heavy 3x3 or 3x5. Some weeks higher like 3x up to 10 reps. Then a back off set for 8+ reps. Romanian deadlift assistance and front squat assistance without a belt. Both for reps up to 10.

Wednesday: Bench to heavy 3x3 or 3x5. Assistance is push press either front or back. Decent amount of upper back work. Also, JM press and rope extensions.

Friday: Same loading for deadlifts. Most commonly just a heavy triple or single. Goodmornings for high reps and then 3x3. Upper back work.

Saturday: Press usually up to a heavy 3x5. Push press assistance.(3-5 reps per set), curls(sometimes with a press at the end), JM press.

That's about it.

For what it's worth, I also straightened up my stance on squats. It was staggered, but now my feet are aligned. I'm sure the adjustment has hurt some, but this was only done in the past two weeks.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:33 PM   #4
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

I doubt slightly less less food would take you from 400 to a hard 315 triple. Routine looks fine.

There has to be something else going on there.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:47 PM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Was this process a slow deterioration or a one-off bad squat workout?

What was your previous best squat with 315 for reps?

When you have bad squat workouts, do you warmup sets feel unusually heavy?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:03 AM   #6
Davis
Max Brawn

It seems like my squat just went down suddenly. I was capable of hitting 315x7 before the drop. Now hitting a triple seems to be killer. I went on to front squat 225 for 3x3 yesterday and that was absolutely awful. Used to, I could bang out a few more reps with less struggle on the FS. My technique seems to be fine. Last video evidence I had was a 405 miss which all I did wrong there was being unable to get up with maybe a slight shift forward with the bar.

As for warmup sets, yes, they feel unusually heavy. Lately 225 has seemed heavy. Yesterday, not so much. 275 felt hard yet, my past best with 275 was something like 10/8/8(Belted. I do my 275 warmup without a belt). 275 has felt hard lately. Shoot last week, 185 felt slightly heavy.

My ankles felt tight after lifting yesterday. My left foot seems to have a lower arch than it did. I'd like to think this isn't a matter of mobility, but maybe. Again, I'm fixing my stance, but I doubt it should cause such a dramatic loss in power.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:57 AM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis View Post
but I doubt it should cause such a dramatic loss in power.
About 3 times in my life I have experienced a one-off drop in squat weight. This was usually after absolute max attempts where I tried to squat again in a few days. My CNS wasn't ready, and all warmups felt super heavy.

There certainly is an outside chance something impacted your central nervous system, but to be truthful I highly doubt this is the case.

In trying to problem solve this situation, my best advice is to not worry about what happened, but rather to analyze what you currently do, and see if it can be fixed or improved. Take a hard look at your training and diet.

Diet

--Do you know ballpark what you're eating each day, calorie-wise?
--Do you know ballpark each day what you're eating protein-wise?

^ Are you guessing at these numbers, or are you 99% certain they are relatively accurate?

--Are you certain you are eating enough healthy fats? At least 20% of your diet, perhaps up to 40% if you have a fast metabolism and need to eat a lot of daily food.
--Is your calorie and protein intake consistent day in and day out?

--Are you drinking a lot of crap sugary drinks like sodas or energy drinks?
--Do you overeat junk food?
--Do you drink enough water?

--Have you ever taken a week to detail your food intake so you know specifically what your intake looks like?

^ This is helpful for many. Most times when people tell me "I am eating healthy" or "I am eating enough", they are not. Or are extremely inconsistent.

Training

--Do you miss workouts?
--Are you doing too much volume and/or training too frequently?
--Has your form been looked at by seasoned lifters? Inconsistent form can create inconsistent results.

--Are you doing too much cardio?
--Do you have a very physical job that leaves you spent?

These are only example questions. You don't have to answer them here. Just bringing them up as examples.

I would look at diet first. I see far too many people eating on the low end, eating what they consider to be healthy, and undereting protein.

Once that is squared away, I would address training and see if anything can be improved.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:10 AM   #8
Davis
Max Brawn

I'll check out the diet. I know, and have known for a while that I'm eating less than I was. Some days I know it's quite low when I go back through what I've eaten for the day. Protein is probably too low as well.

I'll see what I can do diet wise in an attempt to fix this. I just find it's odd everything else seems to be moving. Maybe I'm just not getting enough for my squats between my tough deadlifts and pressing which are on consecutive days.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:31 AM   #9
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

If your protein/calorie intake ends up being too low, watch the store ads for eggs going on sale. I was able to pick up 6 dozen medium eggs for $3 a few weeks ago. Easy way to add more calories in for cheap.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:15 PM   #10
storm1507
Max Brawn
Points: 5,137, Level: 45 Points: 5,137, Level: 45 Points: 5,137, Level: 45
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Fav Supp: Con-Cret :D
storm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machine

If I remember correctly you're in college. Sleep? Da womenz? Stress?
storm1507 is offline   Reply With Quote