Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:10 PM   #11
jaymax
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,632, Level: 31 Points: 2,632, Level: 31 Points: 2,632, Level: 31
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

jaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributor

Dead thread I know...wonder if you ever did run it Jwood. I spent a good deal of time researching Sheiko so figured I'd resurrect this thread a bit anyway. I'm not 100% positive on the Saturday workouts but I will note that typically the most advanced programs go to 4 days for Sheiko, a couple even 5 if I'm not mistaken. Point being, I'd definitely ditch it unless you've been running sheiko for quite some time.

Now I've contemplated running sheiko many times but never actually done it so that my opinions/comments for the speculation that they are. I believe the key to making Shieko work for a chemically unassisted newb to Sheiko lies in eliminating most of the accessory work at first.

Good mornings being the first thing to go. With this volume of deadlifts and squats I don't see your back surviving if you're not used to this style of training. I'd keep the good morning to once/week on friday if including them at all. Likewise, lunges are likely overkill and I'd do them maybe once/week and flies twice a week at the most.

Now typically when you see an exercise listed twice the second round was intended to be done as a second workout of the day (AM and PM for example). I would ditch that and do them in one session and eliminate the second set of warmup sets and do just the top sets of that pyramid to cut down on redundant volume that could be overkill anyway.

Lastly, just in case you don't know (not saying you don't just worth mentioning) Sheiko is designed to be run in prep and comp phases. In other words loading/unloading or peaking phases. Sheiko 37 is a prep phase intended to be followed by a peaking phase of reduced volume -albeit at the same frequency. The more advanced Sheiko's lifters get and more accustomed to volume loading they start stacking prep phases together sometimes 2 or even 3 at a time before a peaking phase is taken.
jaymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2012, 05:53 PM   #12
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

Hey man,

I did run sheiko 37 a couple years back. I really enjoyed it and I think it is possible for unassisted lifters to complete the cycle. I was more of an intermediate lifter when I ran it but one of my lifting partners was a newb. He had great success with the program.

The program is high volume, but the weights are submaximal. I personally saw huge gains in my squat and bench press. A little bit of gains to my deadlift.

Another lifter on this site diesel weasel just ran a version of sheiko, and he is a very successful natural powerlifter. So, it can be done by naturals with success.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:40 PM   #13
jaymax
Uber Brawn

jaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributor

Oh very cool. Did you follow it to the letter or drop some of the assistance stuff? I find interesting that your bench did well on it as I've heard people having trouble gaining on their bench with sheiko...and yet others who claimed great results all around.

There's this Al Caslow guy that follows a sheiko-westside hybrid program and has had great success.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:42 PM   #14
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymax View Post
Oh very cool. Did you follow it to the letter or drop some of the assistance stuff? I find interesting that your bench did well on it as I've heard people having trouble gaining on their bench with sheiko...and yet others who claimed great results all around.

There's this Al Caslow guy that follows a sheiko-westside hybrid program and has had great success.
I followed it to the letter. I was also in college when I did this, so I got plenty of rest. And also I made sure to eat like a bear.

I will have to check out Al Caslow stuff, have any links
Old 11-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #15
DieselWeasel
Elite Raw Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 6,832, Level: 54 Points: 6,832, Level: 54 Points: 6,832, Level: 54
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Whey Powder
DieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood View Post
Hey man,

I did run sheiko 37 a couple years back. I really enjoyed it and I think it is possible for unassisted lifters to complete the cycle. I was more of an intermediate lifter when I ran it but one of my lifting partners was a newb. He had great success with the program.

The program is high volume, but the weights are submaximal. I personally saw huge gains in my squat and bench press. A little bit of gains to my deadlift.

Another lifter on this site diesel weasel just ran a version of sheiko, and he is a very successful natural powerlifter. So, it can be done by naturals with success.
Yeah, I peaked for my meet, this past Sunday, using a Sheiko CMS cycle which was somewhat modified (i.e. accessory stuff was changed*, but not the competitive lifts and variations of each). The only training protocol that I believe you need AAS to successfully complete without injury is the Bulgarian method, training six days per week, two sessions per day, doing the competitive lifts every time you're in the gym. Otherwise, if you're natural, overtraining can usually be avoided by increasing calories and sleep. The only problem with eating more food is that you obviously run the risk of not making weight for your upcoming meet. However, if you're only concerned with getting stronger, whether you stay in the same weight class or not, then I guess that doesn't matter.

* I removed the good morning because CMS had me doing squats 2x per week, and deads 2x per week, significantly fatiguing my lower back during the first 3-4 weeks. I added direct lat work almost every session, along with some occasional biceps, forearms, obliques, hams, and calves, besides the prescribed accessory stuff. The only other modification was throwing some standing dumbbell pressing into the mix to go along with the dumbbell lateral raise that was already in the program.

RPS - Open 165 Raw - 07.13.13
1365 Elite/Pro Total (475,300,590)

Last edited by DieselWeasel; 11-15-2012 at 03:14 PM.
DieselWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:18 AM   #16
jaymax
Uber Brawn

Very cool guys! What'd you do for hams diesel GHR's? If I had run it I was going to do rows or chins along with laterals, calves and biceps work here and there. Tris are already covered with the assistance moves in 37 and CMS though you could use different exercises for them. But then it starts to get pretty crazy high volume once you do that.

Caslow is one of those elitefts guys. Here's a link to articles he has written Elite FTS | Al Caslow

I'd check out the one at the end the SOS Way, last one in the list but actually his first article I think. Goes into where he started with Sheiko and how it evolved for him. I believe he uses the CMS template and modified it where he felt necessary. He still sticks to the main lifts mostly to the letter but added defecit deads, speed work and some singles and board work for bench on certain days. Interesting stuff to check out. I might have gone that direction if I had the time to commit to it.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:19 PM   #17
DieselWeasel
Elite Raw Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 6,832, Level: 54 Points: 6,832, Level: 54 Points: 6,832, Level: 54
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Whey Powder
DieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymax View Post
Very cool guys! What'd you do for hams diesel GHR's? If I had run it I was going to do rows or chins along with laterals, calves and biceps work here and there. Tris are already covered with the assistance moves in 37 and CMS though you could use different exercises for them. But then it starts to get pretty crazy high volume once you do that.

Caslow is one of those elitefts guys. Here's a link to articles he has written Elite FTS | Al Caslow

I'd check out the one at the end the SOS Way, last one in the list but actually his first article I think. Goes into where he started with Sheiko and how it evolved for him. I believe he uses the CMS template and modified it where he felt necessary. He still sticks to the main lifts mostly to the letter but added defecit deads, speed work and some singles and board work for bench on certain days. Interesting stuff to check out. I might have gone that direction if I had the time to commit to it.
I don't have a GHR in my gym. I did some leg curls once per week. I thought doing the RDL wouldn't be a good idea because CMS has two deadlift days per week.

RPS - Open 165 Raw - 07.13.13
1365 Elite/Pro Total (475,300,590)
DieselWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:53 PM   #18
jaymax
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselWeasel View Post
I don't have a GHR in my gym. I did some leg curls once per week. I thought doing the RDL wouldn't be a good idea because CMS has two deadlift days per week.
Yeah no doubt. Too bad your gym doesn't have one. We had a XXX powerlifting team at the gym I used to lift at and the owner got one for them. I got hooked and bought a cheap one at home when I built my home gym. It's cool and reading the westside stuff turned me onto using it but honestly I'm not sure it's that much better that leg curls if you're deadlifting regularly etc.