Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:35 PM   #1
Mr.Silverback
Max Brawn
Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 15+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat, Bench, Dead
Fav Supp: Chicken, Beef, water
Mr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master member
Default Powerlifting, a paralympic sport

So a friend of mine who is training for the paralympic powerlifting team sent me the roster she will be on...which begged the question "how is it a paralympic sport but not an olympic support?" Can some body shed light on this for me? Been pondering it all day

Silverback Barbell
CHECK OUT MY 1ST EBOOK
http://www.stronglife610.org
Mr.Silverback is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #2
Jen
Max Brawn
Points: 4,825, Level: 44 Points: 4,825, Level: 44 Points: 4,825, Level: 44
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: Started 3/23/12
Fav Exercise: Deadlift :)
Fav Supp: Coffee
Jen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Silverback View Post
So a friend of mine who is training for the paralympic powerlifting team sent me the roster she will be on...which begged the question "how is it a paralympic sport but not an olympic support?" Can some body shed light on this for me? Been pondering it all day

Silverback Barbell
I was told it has something to do with there not being one main international federation that everyone recognizes. I have no idea if this is true -- just what I've heard.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:13 AM   #3
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
I was told it has something to do with there not being one main international federation that everyone recognizes. I have no idea if this is true -- just what I've heard.
I think that could be part of it, but that's only really an issue in the States where Powerlifting is very fragmented. Across the rest of the world the IPF is fairly well recognised as the federation that would be chosen for this kind of thing. That has changed in recent years even in the UK as we have 3 new feds in the past 6 years, but these arguments were going on well before that happened. I think the real issue is that there is already a static barbell sport in the Olympics. Having two would be too similar.

(I'm for more federations, by the way. I don't agree with the stance that the IPF has over equipment. )

I think Strongman has a much better chance of getting into the Olympics. At least in the UK, the Olympics have already authorised their name to be used as part of a series of 'Olympic Strongman' competitions lined up for the next year. So that's a big boon for them and a very positive nod in that direction. We may even see Strongman as a guest sport in the next Olympics if this is any indication.

Bodybuilding as well is sufficiently different to warrant inclusion, in my opinion.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:28 AM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I guess the question I have is...are paralympic athletes capable of Olympic lifts? And if not, perhaps powerlifting slid in as a strength option for some of the reasons mentioned.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:31 AM   #5
Fazc
Max Brawn

Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I guess the question I have is...are paralympic athletes capable of Olympic lifts? And if not, perhaps powerlifting slid in as a strength option for some of the reasons mentioned.
Yeah, that's what I think the real reason is.

If they hadn't got rid of the Press from Weightlifting I don't think Powerlifting would be anywhere near as popular as it is now.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:59 AM   #6
Hazzard
Max Brawn
Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Pizza
Hazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good posts

I think Steve is right. I read the either day it used to be called weightlifting as well.
Hazzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:06 AM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Regarding our sport as an Olympic sport, there are some questions that we each need to ask, I guess. Ones I don't have the answers to yet.

By supporting the smaller feds are we encouraging the fragmentation of our sport?

Are the smaller feds necessary? Do they fill needs the bigger feds don't, and that the bigger feds should listen too?

Has the competition side of the sport been minimized over the years because of the reality that very few of us at meets have others in our weight class to match up against? Is this good for the sport?

Is it good for the sport to hold meets in hotel conference rooms, etc.? Does this really honor the sport/is it good for the sport?

Is the sport going the way of the IFBB, where it's bigger (lifts) is better at any cost. I guess this is directed at training gear. Is gear good for the sport?

Please don't jump on me for any of these questions. I am not stating my opinion by posting them, but rather asking powerlifters for their opinions.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #8
Fazc
Max Brawn

Good questions, I'll give you my take:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
By supporting the smaller feds are we encouraging the fragmentation of our sport?
I used to think so, but we would really have to know the Olympics views on this. Are they really after one unifying federation or would they pick the largest global one i.e. the IPF and not even consider the rest? Who knows. I don't neccessarily think we are encouraging the fragmentation of the sport by supporting smaller feds.

Quote:
Are the smaller feds necessary? Do they fill needs the bigger feds don't, and that the bigger feds should listen too?
I think the situation here in the UK is somewhat similar to that of the US in terms of motivation to change, albeit it's naturally on a larger scale over there. The smaller feds do bridge that gap. I was very firmly for the BDFPA and IPF here for a long while, but now I get deeper involved especially in the equipped side I just don't want to be walking around with 700lbs on my back. IPF aren't going to change in that regard and continue to ignore technological innovations like the Monolift.

Quote:
Has the competition side of the sport been minimized over the years because of the reality that very few of us at meets have others in our weight class to match up against? Is this good for the sport?
This is an issue, and not something I feel I have much of an answer to.

This is why we have Youtube I guess lol!

Quote:
Is it good for the sport to hold meets in hotel conference rooms, etc.? Does this really honor the sport/is it good for the sport?
I've had some hosted in prisons before. I don't think this matters much.

Quote:
Is the sport going the way of the IFBB, where it's bigger (lifts) is better at any cost. I guess this is directed at training gear. Is gear good for the sport?
Is gear good for the sport? Perhaps not. Is it good for the lifters? A resounding yes.

Again this is another issue I was very firmly against for a long while, equipment in Powerlifting. But if I continued with that stance my career in Powerlifting would have been very short. As far as I'm concerned it's idealism versus realism here. Idealism say's no support gear, walking out lifts 'like the old-timers did' (gotta love that). Realism say's I ripped my goddamn hamstring off the bone 6 years ago, and there's not been a year gone by in this decade or the last that I haven't been under at least 500lbs for the better part of that year. So that takes it's toll and unless you've really been there you just don't know.

Just my take on it.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #9
kitarpyar
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Type: Fullbody
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
I think the real issue is that there is already a static barbell sport in the Olympics. Having two would be too similar.
Maybe, that is the case. But if we can have different styles of swimming like butterfly, freestyle etc as separate events; if we can have different types of contact sports (wrestling, judo, boxing) as separate events, why not have different types of barbell sports too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Bodybuilding as well is sufficiently different to warrant inclusion, in my opinion.
With regard to bodybuilding, unfortunately, due to IFBB, I believe there is too much of a public misconception about this sport, and that negativity, more than anything else is holding it back. An argument I have heard before, against including bodybuilding is that it is too subjective - unlike a 100 mts dash where there is a clear winner, here we have judges who make decisions that are sometimes hotly contested. But then, gymnastics are just as subjective, so maybe this isnt much of an argument after all.
kitarpyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:38 AM   #10
Fazc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitarpyar View Post
Maybe, that is the case. But if we can have different styles of swimming like butterfly, freestyle etc as separate events; if we can have different types of contact sports (wrestling, judo, boxing) as separate events, why not have different types of barbell sports too?
I liked your post Kit I would love to see Powerlifting in the Olympics and as you rightfully say there are many different swimming and contact disciplines so why not for strength sports too. However I think the popularity and history of those sports also has something to do with it.

Quote:
But then, gymnastics are just as subjective, so maybe this isnt much of an argument after all.
Yes I think Bodybuilding has a good chance, it's a sport judged on style like gymnastics rather than on more tangible factors like weightlifting. The drug factor would make a difference though. But hey why would that even be any different? Hulk up in the off-season and move to less detectable compounds pre-Olympics.